Installing win7 over win 7 RC

MCchum

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I bought win 7 ultimate 64 and currently have win 7 rc ulti 64 installed .

Would i install full version as a upgrade ? or ?

I am trying not to lose what I got installed on comp .

Any help would be appreciated

Thank You

Solution
As I stated you can save your files to another drive, a second internal or external usb/sata/firewire drive using the W7 ETW.
"could i switch everything to another hdd and then reconnect it after the fresh install and then switch what i needed to back onto the primary hdd ?"
NO! You CAN NOT move the programs from one drive to another and back again.
Use the second drive to store the backup file made by W7 ETW, then restore it back after you have completed the upgrade.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
A clean install is required, you can use the W7 Easy Transfer Wizard to save your files and settings to another drive/cd/dvd, however you will need to reinstall your programs.
It's not recommended you try to upgrade from the W7 RC.

MCchum

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I was afraid of that :(

could i switch everything to another hdd and then reconnect it after the fresh install and then switch what i needed to back onto the primary hdd ? i see was suggested already , can this be done with another sata drive -- labeled as storage then reconnected after fresh install ?

Thanks for your input

Jonmor68

Distinguished
As I stated you can save your files to another drive, a second internal or external usb/sata/firewire drive using the W7 ETW.
"could i switch everything to another hdd and then reconnect it after the fresh install and then switch what i needed to back onto the primary hdd ?"
NO! You CAN NOT move the programs from one drive to another and back again.
Use the second drive to store the backup file made by W7 ETW, then restore it back after you have completed the upgrade.

Solution

MCchum

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Thanks Jonmor68 it worked like a charm ..

was very easy and straight up ..
fyi , once I added the ETW back to new install , all my settings and programs worked as before ..
what i did tho was after the ETW , i disconnected the drive and formatted the main drive ( is a Raptor) for clean install , once win7 was on and working ( matter of a few minutes) I reconnected my storage drive and ETW everything back to main drive as the new comp .

works great .. Thank You very much