HP Laserjet 1320 - How to share?

Greetings.

I am considering buying a 1320 to replace my aging 6P. I'm choosing
the 1320 primarily because its orientation allows it to sit on a shelf
with something above it, and it features duplex printing. I have no
need for color.

But my 6P has two parallel ports, and automatically shares itself
amongst two PC's. I find this feature incredibly desirable, in a
Windoze environment, where network and USB drivers are inconsistent,
self-deleting, comatose, or otherwise unreliable.

Since the 1320 has dropped this feature, what would be next best
approach?

Is there a device which will make the 1320's USB port into a parallel
one?

Regards,
Jeff
2 answers Last reply
More about laserjet 1320 share

    A parallel port A/B switch would work.

    But I've found Windows XP to be great at sharing. I've created a
    network for my desktop and notebook, with all printers attached to the
    desktop. I've never had any driver issues, usb issues, self-deleting,
    comotose or otherwise unreliable issues (as you describe them).

    The A/B switch is a better way to go since you don't have to have both
    machines on. That is the only real issue I've found is that my desktop
    has to be on to see the printers, which can be a pain if I"m upstairs
    with the notebook. Switches are very cheap.

    >I am considering buying a 1320 to replace my aging 6P. I'm choosing
    >[...]
    >
    >But my 6P has two parallel ports, and automatically shares itself
    >amongst two PC's. I find this feature incredibly desirable, in a
    >Windoze environment, where network and USB drivers are inconsistent,
    >self-deleting, comatose, or otherwise unreliable.

    Some routers have built-in printer sharing features. I would go this
    route. Otherwise, if your printer-server computer breaks (or is just
    off) you don't have access to the printer.

    Besides, you probably want a router anyway.

    -Joel

    Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography

Printers Hewlett Packard Laserjet Peripherals