HP Laserjet 1320 - How to share?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
January 19, 2005 6:26:42 PM

Greetings.

I am considering buying a 1320 to replace my aging 6P. I'm choosing
the 1320 primarily because its orientation allows it to sit on a shelf
with something above it, and it features duplex printing. I have no
need for color.

But my 6P has two parallel ports, and automatically shares itself
amongst two PC's. I find this feature incredibly desirable, in a
Windoze environment, where network and USB drivers are inconsistent,
self-deleting, comatose, or otherwise unreliable.

Since the 1320 has dropped this feature, what would be next best
approach?

Is there a device which will make the 1320's USB port into a parallel
one?

Regards,
Jeff

More about : laserjet 1320 share

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 19, 2005 6:34:36 PM

A parallel port A/B switch would work.

But I've found Windows XP to be great at sharing. I've created a
network for my desktop and notebook, with all printers attached to the
desktop. I've never had any driver issues, usb issues, self-deleting,
comotose or otherwise unreliable issues (as you describe them).

The A/B switch is a better way to go since you don't have to have both
machines on. That is the only real issue I've found is that my desktop
has to be on to see the printers, which can be a pain if I"m upstairs
with the notebook. Switches are very cheap.
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 12, 2005 7:22:34 PM

>I am considering buying a 1320 to replace my aging 6P. I'm choosing
>[...]
>
>But my 6P has two parallel ports, and automatically shares itself
>amongst two PC's. I find this feature incredibly desirable, in a
>Windoze environment, where network and USB drivers are inconsistent,
>self-deleting, comatose, or otherwise unreliable.

Some routers have built-in printer sharing features. I would go this
route. Otherwise, if your printer-server computer breaks (or is just
off) you don't have access to the printer.

Besides, you probably want a router anyway.

-Joel

Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography