complexs6

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Hey guys I am new to this forum but not new to computers. I wanna get a new PC new board and new CPU I usually buy ASUS but I might get something different, I just like how ASUS offers alot of extras that other brands dont. Plus I know ASUS will last in my opinion its a rock solid brand. I am thinking about getting into Dual Core but would like some advice from some of you on here. Is it worth the upgrade I wanna do all the normal stuff play games, burn DVDs, ect. Any help would be greatly appericiated.

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Hi compelxs6,

1) Regarding your point about ASUS, yes I do agree with you that it has many motherboard features not found in other brands. However, one up and coming brand is DFI which produces the LANParty series of motherboards. Check around, you'll find that the LANParty series is highly recommended.

2) In my opinion, you need to think about how you want to use your computer. Dual core CPUs are great for gaming, but if you mainly use it for business applications or work, then it may not make economical sense. At the end of the day, I'd say its your usage that counts.

If you want to know more, you can read this article which shows you how to build a gaming computer for just $1000. The folks over at ExtremeTech.com also run a nice series of articles which show sample build configurations. Check them out.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Hey guys I am new to this forum but not new to computers. I wanna get a new PC new board and new CPU I usually buy ASUS but I might get something different, I just like how ASUS offers alot of extras that other brands dont. Plus I know ASUS will last in my opinion its a rock solid brand. I am thinking about getting into Dual Core but would like some advice from some of you on here. Is it worth the upgrade I wanna do all the normal stuff play games, burn DVDs, ect. Any help would be greatly appericiated.

Well, certainly going dual core is the way to go these days. I went with an opteron dual core and it was by far, the best move i've made in a long time.

I use DFI boards exclusively and, probably the main reason is, i'm an overclocker and they are very stable and so far, have been very reliable boards for me.

I'm a hardcore gamer and play many different games online and offline. What I usually do as I have two 19 inch LCDs hooked up to my opteron machine, game on one monitor and watch a movie or TV on the other. I usually also run instant messenger, browser, anti virus and spyware and all software for my logitech media keyboard and mouse. The machine never stutters and does all of these task smoothly. And that's with only one gig of RAM.

So yes, dual core machines are IMO the way to go. If your going to go for DFI, get the Lanparty UT series. I have the NF4 UT Expert board with an opteron 165.

complexs6

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Thanks you 2 for posting a reply. My thing is web development and gaming with dvd burning and stuff like that, I just hate how much antivirus hog up system cpu and ram. I will research more about DFI I have always been interested in overclocking but never got around to it, but I feel I wont either since work takes a grip of my time. I wanna make sure I have nothin slow my PC down so I most likely will go dual core. I usually buy Intel but I am very geared toward AMD. I just love that high FSB, lol.