Rumor: Microsoft Working on Surface Phone Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
If only the square buttons where not that ugly.
How about rounding the edges to make it visually more appealing ?
Oh yes, can't do that without paying royalties to Apple :)

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I guess its the natural step for MS. I for one am disappointed however to see the smart phone market get "oligopolized" ...taken over by few but large corporations. It was perhaps better when we had numerous smaller companies spraying us with endless choices.

And wouldn't it be nice if phones were like PCs? So I can get whatever hardware I want and install whatever software I like. That will never happen with Samsung/Apple at the helm (especially the latter). Perhaps MS will surprise us and give us a truly open experience.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]If only the square buttons where not that ugly.[/citation]
lolwut?

Trolling aside, though, it had damn well better be Nokia they're partnering with after all the support Nokia has shown them. Just saying.

Still looking forward to a Nokia 920 for my first smart phone. Can't wait to read a few reviews!

I find it strange that I was stoked about the idea of MS coming out with their own tablets, and yet I feel a lot more hesitant about them being capable of making a decent phone. I wonder why that is?

[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]lolwut?Trolling aside, though, it had damn well better be Nokia they're partnering with after all the support Nokia has shown them. Just saying.[/citation]
Is it really considered support when all of the upper management use to work for MS?

My first reaction is that MS is insuring that they stay in the mobile phone market if Nokia stops supporting Win8. Nokia's CEO is on the hot seat atm, and he is the one who is pushing Win8 phones. If he is replaced, MS will need to take matters into their own hands.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Played with Nokia 900 a little bit last week, I was almost convinced to switch over to wp8 from Android, the only missing piece(one of the most important piece to me) is the drag down notification.
Android has perfected the drag down notification system, that it's the single most used feature on my phone. WP8 needs to have it before I can be converted.

titan078

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]Played with Nokia 900 a little bit last week, I was almost convinced to switch over to wp8 from Android, the only missing piece(one of the most important piece to me) is the drag down notification.Android has perfected the drag down notification system, that it's the single most used feature on my phone. WP8 needs to have it before I can be converted.[/citation]

Nope webOS perfected notifications. Not sure why Andriod has not included all of webOS's design cues yet. Probably integrity on Matis's part.

titan078

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Still looking forward to a Nokia 920 for my first smart phone. Can't wait to read a few reviews!I find it strange that I was stoked about the idea of MS coming out with their own tablets, and yet I feel a lot more hesitant about them being capable of making a decent phone. I wonder why that is?[/citation]

MS does write Nokia a big check every now and then for that support. Two way street.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
"Microsoft is expected to launch the next Xbox during E3 2013 next summer, the final piece in Microsoft's Windows 8 multi-screen puzzle. It wouldn't be surprising to see Microsoft implement Surface-specific connectivity features into the next-generation console to help drive huge sales on all four Windows 8-based screens (desktop, tablet, smartphone, console) by the end 2013."

i dont know about you guys but when i read this, the four words that came to mind were: "The Empire Strikes Back"...

[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]Played with Nokia 900 a little bit last week, I was almost convinced to switch over to wp8 from Android, the only missing piece(one of the most important piece to me) is the drag down notification.Android has perfected the drag down notification system, that it's the single most used feature on my phone. WP8 needs to have it before I can be converted.[/citation]
The idea with the live tiles is that you don't need to use a drag down menu - you get all of the notifications on the app tiles themselves. I agree that it does need to be tweaked in order to be a bit more readable (if you have more than one email, it just shows the # of emails), and usable when you're inside an app and not on a homescreen.

I'm hoping Verizon gets a decent selection of devices. Looks like HTC is the only OEM with a WP8 device on board right now, but I'd love to compare it to a Nokia. Luckily all of the announced devices have roughly the same hardware, so you're not necessarily getting cheated.

G

Since when is this a rumor? They've had ads posted in the DC metro for the last few days. I assumed it was either a Microsoft phone or tablet

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mrs_daly[/nom]Since when is this a rumor? They've had ads posted in the DC metro for the last few days. I assumed it was either a Microsoft phone or tablet[/citation]
In that case it's a 50% chance they are advertising the Surface Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.