• Single CPU/GPU

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Dual CPU/GPU

Votes: 25 75.8%

• Total voters

Minre

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Ok, two questions. I'm getting ready to purchase a new computer and I have been researching for about two weeks now on all the latest tech. The two things that I keep hearing conflicting reports on are about Dual core cpu's and SLI gpu's. Some people say that dual is a waste of money because software manufacters won't be coming out with software that will be able to utilize dual core fast enough until newer technology comes out. The same thing with SLI. I read a report on Tomshardware.com the other day that two SLI cards were beat by a single card in some games, same situation with the software manufacturs not writing the software to take advantage of all the power. My question then is this, should I just buy a single core CPU, and one GPU for now, or do you guys and gals think that they will be writing software soon to take advantage of that power?

htoon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hello

I would highly recommend to buy a pc with a dual core processor. Although there are not many programs that can take advantage of the dual core processor at this time, you will be happy to have one when more and more programs are available. For a graphic card, i think one is fine. Get a high end graphic card if you think you need one. Even if you have two low end gpu in sli setup, you can not have a better graphics . So i think one graphic and a dual core processor is the way to go.

Bye.

Pentium D 830 3.5 ghz
(2*512mb 669 Mhz)DDR 2 from corsair
(2* 160 GB) SATA2 in raid 0
Nvidia Gforce 6800 GS

ProdigyMS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I say you should go for one top of the line single cpu/gpu. Nothing really takes advantage of Dual Core/ SLI/Crossfire. What, $600 for an extra 10 FPS. Once Vista is released definately go for dual-core, as the operating system will be using it. But the GPU on the other hand, I will never buy 2x video cards. If you bought 2x 7800GTX's, 3-4 months later when the 7900GTX's were released, 1 single 7900GTX beat 2x 7800GTX's, and it was cheaper. Not many games take full advantage of SLI or Crossfire. But it really depends how much money you want to spend, and how long you want to have this PC without upgrading. I usually build a new PC about every 1 to 1 1/2 years. Depends if they release new sockets though. I say that if your going to build it now, get yourself an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego Core CPU, and a 7900GTX/X1900XTX video card if you will be upgrading in about a year or so.

Hale73

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
SLI= 2x the price but 30% performance increase

two executing cores in one processor dye, nice huh.
well, to workloads and takes full advanatage on multi thread apps and heavy multi tasking, this would be helpful in executing new OS(vista),games(UT2007) compression utilities, etc.

For me, SLI is not efficient, just buy one high end Graphic Card and save urself with licensed apps,games and other softwares :p

gambit6259

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I am also in agreement with Htoon. Dual Core CPU, and a single GPU. Multicored CPU's are here to stay more and more software is coming out that will take advantage of it. If you get one really good GPU there is really no need for two, there isn't enough performance gain to warrant the cost.

940Socket2me

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
i just set up a pentium 805D on an asus SLI board with a nvidia 7600GT card and a gig of ram.

its fast enough for me.

sisoft sandra-ed the mofo and its not too much slower than a amd x2 3800 - just cost $160 less - thus i could afford the 7600GT

i have yet to install any games.

but when i was installing apps, i coudl click whatever i wanted, whenever i wanted.

i had a mp dually system for a few years previous, so i am stuck on multi procesing - and now dual core.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Definitely get dual core CPU. Who wants to buy a single core now when dual core capable apps are right around the corner.

For GPUs, if you can't afford two highend GPUs (7900GT/X or X1900XT/X) then just get one. If you can afford two, then it can't hurt anything especially if you're planning to play at 1600x1200. But if you're only going to be playing at 1024x768 you won't need it really. I'd do Crossfire or SLI probably with my next system, but I can't afford it at the moment. So just getting one X1900XT.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Ok, two questions. I'm getting ready to purchase a new computer and I have been researching for about two weeks now on all the latest tech. The two things that I keep hearing conflicting reports on are about Dual core cpu's and SLI gpu's. Some people say that dual is a waste of money because software manufacters won't be coming out with software that will be able to utilize dual core fast enough until newer technology comes out. The same thing with SLI. I read a report on Tomshardware.com the other day that two SLI cards were beat by a single card in some games, same situation with the software manufacturs not writing the software to take advantage of all the power. My question then is this, should I just buy a single core CPU, and one GPU for now, or do you guys and gals think that they will be writing software soon to take advantage of that power?

Simple answer to your questions:
Dual Core CPUs are worth it, get one like an Opteron 165 or X2 4200+.
SLI is worthless, buy one high end card and be done with it.

yourbestfriend

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I say buy two high end cards and a big monitor if you are going to spend alot... if not one will be fine

last year I bought a 7800gt so I could play BF2 at high settings with aa and af on, did not cut it so I bought another one. Now I can

borandi

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Dual core, no question.

How much gaming do you want?
1600x1200 at highest settings with aa and af? Dual GPU
1280x1024 at high to highest settings with some aa and af? Single GPU

Minre

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Well I want to enjoy as much as I can. I have always played on 1024x768, do you suggest a higher setting. I think I have made my decision on buying dual core, probally a AMD 64 X2 4400, but I am still deciding on the GPU. Either a 7900GTX/X1900XTX, what do you guys and gals suggest? Take in mind that I want to probally buy a mobo that has SLI/CROSSFIRE ready so when the times comes, I can just buy a new GPU to boost performance.

ForzaItalia4

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
i think if you're gaming, go for a 7900 GT or GTX depending on budget, and a good single core processor. This way, once Vista comes out and games FINALLY take advantage of sli and dual processing, you can be saving up months ahead for a dual core and maybe sli depending on how good it is at that time computer.

vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'm with htoon. Dual core CPU's are f***ing awesome. SLI/Crossfire is rather pointless. Even at 1600 x 1200 with everything turned on, the single high-end cards still beat SLI/Crossfire in about 1/2 of the games out there.

Get a dual-core CPU (preferrably AMD since their design is a lot better) and a 7900 GTX / x1900XTX and you will not be disappointed.

severeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
well, when it works, it works great. My impressions so far wwith my system are that it is great if you can tollerate a small ammount of "stuttering". It doesnt happen that often but every once in a while my system will *along with every other sli and dual core system ive used* stutteer for a second or so in games...

Other than that the performance rocks.

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
SLI is a waste of money when you break it down to price/performance. You will spend more money on 2X GPU's, the better/more powerfull PSU.. the SLI mobo then you will if you ditched your 2X7800GTs for one X1900XT. In some cases SLI performs worse then a single card of the same model running by itself.

Dual core CPU's however are a whole different story. Play your cards right and know your shit and you can get an FX-60 in the disguise of an Opteron 165.

severeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
lol, i dont even know when the last dual core graphics card was released, to my knowledge all modern gpu's have several cores :D

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
You say you are thinking about a X1900XTX. I am by far an expert on the subject, but from what I've read the X1900XT is a better buy and the XTX really isn't worth the increase in price. Maybe others disagree?

vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
...from what I've read the X1900XT is a better buy and the XTX really isn't worth the increase in price. Maybe others disagree?

You're pretty much paying for the assurence that it will run at those speeds. I think 95% or better will run at XTX speeds when overclocked. Of course, that voids your warantee...