X2 Manchester vs. Athlon 64 4000+ HELP

iceman845

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
people, i'm in need of some advice. I was looking at the x2 manchester for my dual-core needs basiclly for gaming and for college. I was dead set on getting this processor and then i looked on tomshardware and looked at one of the charts comparing the 2. I from what i gathered from the X2 3800 is really meant for multi-tasking. And the 4000 is for running one program really well. Gaming is my goal for this comp.

1. which is better/ which should i get?
2. is one more easier to shop for mainboards for?

Thank you in advance

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
people, i'm in need of some advice. I was looking at the x2 manchester for my dual-core needs basiclly for gaming and for college. I was dead set on getting this processor and then i looked on tomshardware and looked at one of the charts comparing the 2. I from what i gathered from the X2 3800 is really meant for multi-tasking. And the 4000 is for running one program really well. Gaming is my goal for this comp.

Thank you in advance

You really shouldn't listen to places like Toms or others that say "Single-Core is best for blah blah and Dual-Core is best for Multi-tasking", because the way they all word it, it's like they think you NEED Dual-Core for Multi-Tasking and Single-Core for gaming or other, and that's complete BS. At best, the 4000+ will be minimally better than the 3800+ X2 in ANYTHING, how do I know this? Because I happen to have both of those CPU's 8O.

Get the 3800+ X2, things are much snappier and smoother than the 4000+.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
omg thanks so much, i'll go with my initial notion. Unless anyother suggestions???

Depends on the budget, if you can fork it over, go for a 4200+ X2 (if you don't want to overclock) or grab the 3800+ X2 and a nice $30-$40 Aftermarket heatsink/fan and overclock to 2.2-2.4 and you'll be damned happy.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Three or four threads can make a venince or san diago rather slugish!

1 or 2 threads can make a Conroe unstable.

But no, actually Conroe, since you obviously never used an AMD64 in your life, you wouldn't know anything about it.....do you even know what a thread IS????

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/01/10/amd_athlon_64_fx-60/9.html
We experienced extreme lag during video playback on the single core Athlon 64's, and generally the CPU did not want to handle more than one process at a time. If you leave the process priority at its default, the DVD shrink will take more than 10 hours to complete - we'd go so far as to say this is not possible on the single core Athlon 64s.
Even the FX57 -FAILD- ths multitasking test!

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Wow...that article is even more BS than Conroe SuperPI....what'd they have those A64's clocked @, 1GHz? I can do all those with a AthlonXP 3000+ faster than their "testing".

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006

Wow...that article is even more BS than Conroe SuperPI....what'd they have those A64's clocked @, 1GHz? I can do all those with a AthlonXP 3000+ faster than their "testing".

I smell BS, But it's yours.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I own two A64's BTW.

No, you don't.

~~Mad Mod Mike, popin' the world 1 zit at a time

Who looks stupid here?

Idk, let me ask my Worker Monkeys. (You don't get this joke, so don't try to understand it)

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006

But no, actually Conroe, since you obviously never used an AMD64 in your life, you wouldn't know anything about it.....do you even know what a thread IS????

You don't have a Conore! Must be a personal problem. :wink:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

You don't have a Conore! Must be a personal problem. :wink:

How do you know I'm not the one who bought that Conroe on eBay? Exactly... :twisted:

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
You really can't go wrong with the x2 processor what small things you lose now you will gain back in the future as games, apps, and Vista will really start to take advantage of dual processors.

I would suggest the 4200-4400 ideal. On a budget get the 3800 and worst case overclock it a little to get the 2.2ghz.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
You are a a fanboy, you are the one person that will still buy a X2 this year after Conroe. Also, to pay $600(ebay) for a $200 cpu just to have it months before it's released (and no mobo even) is something only a Intel fanboy or rich overclocker would do.

I'm not real smart, just whole lot smarter than you. :lol:

Me, I'm a conroe fan. I'm getting a E6700 as soon as I can retail. for $530 I can have more power and efficency than the $1236 FX-62. Were talking 10% faster, 50% less power consuption, and 60% of the cost. That is a no brainer. Sure I will see many more benchmarks in the next months, but you call Intel liers, three review web sites fools and Victor Wang a lier to. Your looking foolish. This is no hokes, wait and see. You realy should change your tone before you eat another dinner of crow!!!!

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

Thank you in advance

You really shouldn't listen to places like Toms or others that say "Single-Core is best for blah blah and Dual-Core is best for Multi-tasking", because the way they all word it, it's like they think you NEED Dual-Core for Multi-Tasking and Single-Core for gaming or other, and that's complete BS. At best, the 4000+ will be minimally better than the 3800+ X2 in ANYTHING, how do I know this? Because I happen to have both of those CPU's 8O.

Get the 3800+ X2, things are much snappier and smoother than the 4000+.

Depends. A 4000 will get its ASS HANDED TO IT in any multi-threaded application. The only reason it's slightly better is because of the fact that few current applications support & benifit from dual-core. Soon, with Vista and with development, this will change (even with games), and single core as a performance solution will die.
By the way, iceman845, you will need to flash a motherboard BIOS for any 939 board to expect a dual core as the X2 to run.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Thank you in advance

I have to agree with Mr Mike on this. Dual core is ALWAYS better than single core. No one only opens one program at a time and almost all apps do SOMETHING int he background, especially browsers and systray stuff. I have had both single and dual core AMD and the dual core allows me to have things operating in the background and still get EXCELLENT perf in Q4. I don't htink they should even make single core anymore since you CAN justify more money for it with the right marketing approach.

The 3800+ is a great starter and there is the FX 60 upgrade path, though both chips use 939 so both have the same upgrade path. I can say that when I had a single core chip I HAD TO turn off my browser so that Flash like that whch runs on Tom's wouldn't suck up CPU at the wrong time during a firefight.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
You are a a fanboy, you are the one person that will still buy a X2 this year after Conroe. Also, to pay $600(ebay) for a $200 cpu just to have it months before it's released (and no mobo even) is something only a Intel fanboy or rich overclocker would do.

I'm not real smart, just whole lot smarter than you. :lol:

Me, I'm a conroe fan. I'm getting a E6700 as soon as I can retail. for $530 I can have more power and efficency than the $1236 FX-62. Were talking 10% faster, 50% less power consuption, and 60% of the cost. That is a no brainer. Sure I will see many more benchmarks in the next months, but you call Intel liers, three review web sites fools and Victor Wang a lier to. Your looking foolish. This is no hokes, wait and see. You realy should change your tone before you eat another dinner of crow!!!!

I don't mean to come between you two, but the guy asked a simple question abotu choosing between a single core and dual core chip and you bring all this noise about a chip that hasn't been released yet?

Also, it's spelled liAr and it's change your tUne and hoAX. We all here hope that Intel climbs out of the basement but i don't think and AMD "fanboys" will name their children after a CPU, so maybe YOU should change your TUNE. Both the FX62 and Conroe will be worth the money since most apps only need an Sempron or Celeron to run well. I own an X2 4400+ and have NEVER seen lag for what I want to do and that includes SQL server 2k5 and Visual Studio 2K5, not to mention Falcon, D3, Q4 NFS underground and AutoCAD. In soem cases I have several open at once and my computer scares me sometimes because it reminds me of the Alphas I used to use - except without having to have an air conditioner running in the room. I'm at work on a crappy P4 right now and I hate it.

I'll reserve judgement about Conroe until I see a Dell with it. Hopefully it own't come with a CRAPPY video card, cause that will make it worthless to folks who need to run at 1600x1200. Thsi crappy Optiplex only does 1024x768 and it's so annoying after using a 19" LCD at 1280 at home.

Damn you Dell. DEMAND BETTER VIDEO. You are making Intel rich. At least they could pretend that people know how to adjust their monitor resolution. They are as bad as MS with their bundling CRAP.

SORRY FOR THE EXTENDED RANT.