Just received SP2 in the mail

Hi

I just received SP2 on CD and have not tried to install yet. I have
concerns about some of the issues that have been raised here over the last
few weeks. I'm all for updating software and using the most modern versions
but the problems that have been outlined on this NG seem to be severe.

Could the more experienced XP people please post details of how to avoid
some of the problems that others have encountered. I've heard about IE6 and
OE not functioning, system not being able to boot properly, searching being
very slow, p2p not working well, remote access to work not functioning, etc.

Hints about what to avoid, how to ensure a safe update such as turning off
Anti-Vs and firewalls, system restore points, effects on broadband
connections etc.

I am currently using XP pro upgrade from Win98SE on a P4 2ghz machine.

Thanks

Doug

map

"dg" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just received SP2 on CD and have not tried to install yet. I have
> concerns about some of the issues that have been raised here over the last
> few weeks. I'm all for updating software and using the most modern versions
> but the problems that have been outlined on this NG seem to be severe.
>
> Could the more experienced XP people please post details of how to avoid
> some of the problems that others have encountered. I've heard about IE6 and
> OE not functioning, system not being able to boot properly, searching being
> very slow, p2p not working well, remote access to work not functioning, etc.
>
> Hints about what to avoid, how to ensure a safe update such as turning off
> Anti-Vs and firewalls, system restore points, effects on broadband
> connections etc.
>
> I am currently using XP pro upgrade from Win98SE on a P4 2ghz machine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug

In one of the links that Kaylene aka Tauraria gave you, their is a warning
about not installing SP2 at this time if you have a prescott cpu.
I have a new Dell it came with a P4 processror,apon futher investigation it
is a Prescott cpu I say this only because Dell is very popular and I don't
know if you have one or not.This link will take you to a download of a very
good and free program that will tell you what type of processor you have.
Everest home edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

Check it out beforehand.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Installed on four machines already. All error free. First run disk clean and
then defrag. Disable all antivirus programs. Stay offline. Insert CD and go.
After a day or so run disk clean again and defrag.
"dg" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I just received SP2 on CD and have not tried to install yet. I have
> concerns about some of the issues that have been raised here over the last
> few weeks. I'm all for updating software and using the most modern versions
> but the problems that have been outlined on this NG seem to be severe.
>
> Could the more experienced XP people please post details of how to avoid
> some of the problems that others have encountered. I've heard about IE6 and
> OE not functioning, system not being able to boot properly, searching being
> very slow, p2p not working well, remote access to work not functioning, etc.
>
> Hints about what to avoid, how to ensure a safe update such as turning off
> Anti-Vs and firewalls, system restore points, effects on broadband
> connections etc.
>
> I am currently using XP pro upgrade from Win98SE on a P4 2ghz machine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug

Andrew

If you received it from microsoft as a disk there is
nothing wrong with it. It's only the download copy that is
having problems, unsure of patches as of yet. BUt you
should be safe with the disk copy

If they downloaded from the Microsoft website, what would be the difference?
If you are implying that any such issues would be the result of a corrupt
download, while such is a possibility, it's not the only potential source of
problems.

Users need to be sure their hardware and software is compatible, they need
to check to make sure the applications and drivers are up to date and/or
whether or not updates will be available for their devices and apps. They
need to scan for viruses and check for malware before installing as any or
all such things can cause problems with an update of this nature even when
there is no corruption in a download file or on a CD from Microsoft.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If you received it from microsoft as a disk there is
> nothing wrong with it. It's only the download copy that is
> having problems, unsure of patches as of yet. BUt you
> should be safe with the disk copy

Here's a start

Service Pack 2 information
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447
Specific Issue - Prescott Processors and XP-SP2

"dg" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I just received SP2 on CD and have not tried to install yet. I have
> concerns about some of the issues that have been raised here over the last
> few weeks. I'm all for updating software and using the most modern versions
> but the problems that have been outlined on this NG seem to be severe.
>
> Could the more experienced XP people please post details of how to avoid
> some of the problems that others have encountered. I've heard about IE6 and
> OE not functioning, system not being able to boot properly, searching being
> very slow, p2p not working well, remote access to work not functioning, etc.
>
> Hints about what to avoid, how to ensure a safe update such as turning off
> Anti-Vs and firewalls, system restore points, effects on broadband
> connections etc.
>
> I am currently using XP pro upgrade from Win98SE on a P4 2ghz machine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug

Thanks, Just installed and all went well.

"MAP" <MAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "dg" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I just received SP2 on CD and have not tried to install yet. I have
>> concerns about some of the issues that have been raised here over the
>> last
>> few weeks. I'm all for updating software and using the most modern
>> versions
>> but the problems that have been outlined on this NG seem to be severe.
>>
>> Could the more experienced XP people please post details of how to avoid
>> some of the problems that others have encountered. I've heard about IE6
>> and
>> OE not functioning, system not being able to boot properly, searching
>> being
>> very slow, p2p not working well, remote access to work not functioning,
>> etc.
>>
>> Hints about what to avoid, how to ensure a safe update such as turning
>> off
>> Anti-Vs and firewalls, system restore points, effects on broadband
>> connections etc.
>>
>> I am currently using XP pro upgrade from Win98SE on a P4 2ghz machine.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Doug
>>

> In one of the links that Kaylene aka Tauraria gave you, their is a warning
> about not installing SP2 at this time if you have a prescott cpu.
> I have a new Dell it came with a P4 processror,apon futher investigation
> it
> is a Prescott cpu I say this only because Dell is very popular and I don't
> know if you have one or not.This link will take you to a download of a
> very
> good and free program that will tell you what type of processor you have.
> Everest home edition
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3
>
> Check it out beforehand.

johnf

It only applies to the Prescott Pentium 4 at specifically 2.4GHz - not that
many used anyway.

--

johnf