Sign in with
Your question

Need Help With New System Problems

Last response: in Systems
April 6, 2006 5:37:20 AM

I need help finding out what’s wrong with the system I am building. I know sometime I get to close to the problem and I need to step back and re-think the processes or ask for help. OK enough of that here is what I have

Antec SP-500 ATX Power Supply
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
AMD Athlon64 3800+
2GB (1GB each - dual channel) Kingston (KVR400X64C3A/1G)
eVga, Geforce 6800, 256MB, PCIe
Seagate, 160GB SATA-II Hard Drive (SATA 1)
DVD-ROM Drive (IDE-2)
Dual Layer DVD-RW (IDE-2)
Floppy Drive

Here is the problem: I get blue screens upon installation of XP. Most common error messages were something like "...not equal or greater" (I will provide the main error message in the morning). I searched the net and found many articles saying different things.
- CPU Overheating
- Faulty Installation CD
- Memory Problems
- PSU Problems
- CPU Heat Sink

- I ran a test on ALL of the memory and passed (Mem86).

- Check memory settings and that did not fix or change anything.

- Removed the 2GB of memory and installed 1 stick of 256MB DDR266 (Only thing I had) and XP loaded with some issues but got the desk top. Tried one more time and I kept getting the blue screens.

- Tried new 512MB DDR333 (1-X512) same results

- I also check CPU temp and at most was 120 degrees (F)

- Used multiple known good XP CDs

- Checked Hard Drive and even used another new one with the same results.

- I think my issue may be memory voltage. I think the manual said 2.5v and the memory is 2.6v of the DDR400 but the DDR266 and DDR333 was 2.5v.

- Maybe I need to flash the BIOS - I need to check on that (forgot - getting old) 8O

OR Just a bad board :?:

Anyone have any ideas? I can provide more information if needed. :( 

Edit: - Test PSU = OK, Installed another NEW Antec Sp-500 = same results.

More about : system problems

April 6, 2006 6:44:11 AM

Hi DragonDoc,

I can think of some pointers to help you out.

1) Remove all unneccessary components, leaving only the video card, CPU, motherboard, RAM and hard disk. Boot up and see what happens.

2) Make sure all your connectors on the motherboard are ok.

3) Yes, flash the motherboard BIOS.

4) How many watts is your power supply? Make sure it has about 450W to 500W minimum.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2006 9:35:35 AM

"I think my issue may be memory voltage. I think the manual said 2.5v and the memory is 2.6v of the DDR400 but the DDR266 and DDR333 was 2.5v.
"

If mem set to auto/spd, the default DDR voltage (at least on my own K8N) comes up at 2.6; try setting it manually in BIOS to 2.6 or 2.7, or to whatver Kingston recommends for DDR400 operation...(You can also set PC3200 to only run at PC2700 speeds, which, if given minor mem problems, might lend to better stability while testing)

Also, make sure you have mem in correct slot(s) for single or dual channel operation, as the K8N series definitely has preferred slots for dual chanel operation... (I'd continue trying but a single stick initially since you are having problems....)

Try the cmos reset button (quite convenient in a search for a max fsb/mem clock later!), which will set everything back to factory defaults...
Related resources
April 6, 2006 4:55:39 PM

Quote:

1) Remove all unneccessary components, leaving only the video card, CPU, motherboard, RAM and hard disk. Boot up and see what happens.

Already done this, thanks

Quote:
2) Make sure all your connectors on the motherboard are ok.

Already done this, thanks

Quote:

3) Yes, flash the motherboard BIOS.

Next thing I'm going to do

Quote:

4) How many watts is your power supply? Make sure it has about 450W to 500W minimum.

Opps - Antec SP-500 "500 Watt"

Thanks for the input. :wink:
April 6, 2006 4:59:20 PM

Quote:
"I think my issue may be memory voltage. I think the manual said 2.5v and the memory is 2.6v of the DDR400 but the DDR266 and DDR333 was 2.5v.
"

If mem set to auto/spd, the default DDR voltage (at least on my own K8N) comes up at 2.6; try setting it manually in BIOS to 2.6 or 2.7, or to whatver Kingston recommends for DDR400 operation...(You can also set PC3200 to only run at PC2700 speeds, which, if given minor mem problems, might lend to better stability while testing)

Also, make sure you have mem in correct slot(s) for single or dual channel operation, as the K8N series definitely has preferred slots for dual chanel operation... (I'd continue trying but a single stick initially since you are having problems....)

Try the cmos reset button (quite convenient in a search for a max fsb/mem clock later!), which will set everything back to factory defaults...

Thanks for your input but I have done everything you said without any luck. I think at this point I'm going to see if there is an updated BIOS and flash. Maybe the board is just bad. Thanks again and I will post the answer once I get it figured out. :wink:

Any other inputs from anyone else would be appreciated
April 7, 2006 3:45:19 AM

Guys, I found the problem today. The system was on a KVM that I just set up and something was wrong with the KVM :roll: I moved it off the KVM and it now works great with the 2GB DDR and without blue screnns.

I am a little confused on how the KVM caused all of that :oops:  but now I know.

Thanks for the inputs. :D 

Problem Solved :wink:
!