Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Samsung Flat Panel Monitor with DVI Anyone??

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2005 7:58:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Anyone??? Got a question on source display.

Dudley
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2005 7:58:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:58:10 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
<dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:

>Anyone??? Got a question on source display.
>
>Dudley
>

Yup, got one, what's the question Dudley? :-)

===
Best Regards
Katy
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2005 8:40:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
news:jevub1plq36forkgetr1bbp9koi5j64gsp@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:58:10 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
> <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:
>
>>Anyone??? Got a question on source display.
>>
>>Dudley
>>
>
> Yup, got one, what's the question Dudley? :-)

Hi KT:
I'm going to have to start paying you. Don't you have any flying questions I
can help YOU with for a change????
Actually, knowing you like I do, you probably fly better than I do too.
:-)))))

Here's the monitor issue. I just need to be sure everything is ok with this
SPECIFIC unit.

I've been in contact with Samsung's support and have a transaction
number for tomorrow morning. I need to find out if what I'm getting on the
screen as I go into and out of standby and shutting down is normal or an
issue that needs a
return and another monitor.
It's a brand new 930b and I'm using it with a brand new EVGA 6800GT 256 GPU
which has absolutely no issues.
Key to all this is that I have the monitor hooked up using a DVI cable and
not the VGA cable for an analog signal. So I'm looking for a digital source
on the setup.
I think what has happened is that I have a "newer" model that has outpaced
the installation manual as far as far as the source setup is concerned. The
manual calls for a button select that blackens the OBS and is then supposed
to show an
alternating selection dialog for an analog or digital source pick by me that
is to be selected with the arrow keys. It says to use the up
and down arrow keys to select one or the other. Simple enough :-)
What happens is that when I hit the select button, the screen goes black all
right, but the alternating selection dialog for analog/digital that pops up
seems to go
into automatic and select digital almost immediately without my intervention
with
the arrow keys. It seeks between analog and digital a few times and
immediately selects digital before I can do it manually with the arrow keys
as the manual suggests.
I'm assuming that Samsung has upgraded the selection to now be automatic and
the manual just hasn't caught up with things but I'm not certain of this and
need to know that this isn't an issue.
The monitor seems perfect except for this one issue.
Also related to this; what happens is that when I put the computer on
standby, or turn the
computer off at night, after the monitor goes black, I get a small window in
the upper left corner of the black screen that shows an alternating source
dialog between analog and digital just as during the selection process. This
behavior continues through several
cycles and then stops on digital. This also happens when the computer is
booted up.
Again, I'm assuming this is normal, but I need to know absolutely if it is
or isn't, and Samsung so far hasn't been able to tell me.
Thanks much,
Dudley
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2005 1:10:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

>Actually, knowing you like I do, you probably fly better than I do too.
>:-)))))

I very seriously doubt that :-)

>Here's the monitor issue. I just need to be sure everything is ok with this
>SPECIFIC unit.

Mine does the same, no worry... And about the manual selection: I
guess that if you do not have a second computer hooked via an analog
cable/dongle you will of course not be able to select it, it reverts
to automatic when it does not detect an incoming analog signal.

Manuals are not always up to date with new hardware, did you check on
the Samsung web site? They may offer the latest version for download.
Anyway it does not appear to be a biggie, if the search and switching
modes bothers you when you turn off the computer switch off the
monitor first ;-)

===
Best Regards
Katy
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2005 1:38:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 04:40:35 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
<dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:

>
>"Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
>news:jevub1plq36forkgetr1bbp9koi5j64gsp@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:58:10 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
>> <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone??? Got a question on source display.
>>>
>>>Dudley
>>>
>>
>> Yup, got one, what's the question Dudley? :-)
>
>Hi KT:
>I'm going to have to start paying you. Don't you have any flying questions I
>can help YOU with for a change????
>Actually, knowing you like I do, you probably fly better than I do too.
>:-)))))
>
>Here's the monitor issue. I just need to be sure everything is ok with this
>SPECIFIC unit.
>
>I've been in contact with Samsung's support and have a transaction
>number for tomorrow morning. I need to find out if what I'm getting on the
>screen as I go into and out of standby and shutting down is normal or an
>issue that needs a
>return and another monitor.
>It's a brand new 930b and I'm using it with a brand new EVGA 6800GT 256 GPU
>which has absolutely no issues.
>Key to all this is that I have the monitor hooked up using a DVI cable and
>not the VGA cable for an analog signal. So I'm looking for a digital source
>on the setup.
>I think what has happened is that I have a "newer" model that has outpaced
>the installation manual as far as far as the source setup is concerned. The
>manual calls for a button select that blackens the OBS and is then supposed
>to show an
>alternating selection dialog for an analog or digital source pick by me that
>is to be selected with the arrow keys. It says to use the up
>and down arrow keys to select one or the other. Simple enough :-)
>What happens is that when I hit the select button, the screen goes black all
>right, but the alternating selection dialog for analog/digital that pops up
>seems to go
>into automatic and select digital almost immediately without my intervention
>with
>the arrow keys. It seeks between analog and digital a few times and
>immediately selects digital before I can do it manually with the arrow keys
>as the manual suggests.
>I'm assuming that Samsung has upgraded the selection to now be automatic and
>the manual just hasn't caught up with things but I'm not certain of this and
>need to know that this isn't an issue.
>The monitor seems perfect except for this one issue.
>Also related to this; what happens is that when I put the computer on
>standby, or turn the
>computer off at night, after the monitor goes black, I get a small window in
>the upper left corner of the black screen that shows an alternating source
>dialog between analog and digital just as during the selection process. This
>behavior continues through several
>cycles and then stops on digital. This also happens when the computer is
>booted up.
>Again, I'm assuming this is normal, but I need to know absolutely if it is
>or isn't, and Samsung so far hasn't been able to tell me.
>Thanks much,
>Dudley
>


Most monitors with DVI and analog inputs look for a Digital signal
first , since running an analog signal , when you have digital would
not be sensible. When it doesn't find the digital signal, then it
opens the analog port and looks there. After 1 or more tries, it
says. " The computer must be off, I might as well give up", and goes
black. Perfectly normal operation.

Bob
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b C Monitor
June 27, 2005 5:33:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Many thanks. My concern was that if the signal is grabbed initially during
the setup as it is, seeking it each time the system goes on and off is
abnormal.
If it seeks the signal constantly, I have a normal situation.
Thanks again
Dudley
"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:83ivb1pctl3gvcjd9euagqij4tvg4h0pou@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 04:40:35 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
> <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
>>news:jevub1plq36forkgetr1bbp9koi5j64gsp@4ax.com...
>>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:58:10 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
>>> <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Anyone??? Got a question on source display.
>>>>
>>>>Dudley
>>>>
>>>
>>> Yup, got one, what's the question Dudley? :-)
>>
>>Hi KT:
>>I'm going to have to start paying you. Don't you have any flying questions
>>I
>>can help YOU with for a change????
>>Actually, knowing you like I do, you probably fly better than I do too.
>>:-)))))
>>
>>Here's the monitor issue. I just need to be sure everything is ok with
>>this
>>SPECIFIC unit.
>>
>>I've been in contact with Samsung's support and have a transaction
>>number for tomorrow morning. I need to find out if what I'm getting on the
>>screen as I go into and out of standby and shutting down is normal or an
>>issue that needs a
>>return and another monitor.
>>It's a brand new 930b and I'm using it with a brand new EVGA 6800GT 256
>>GPU
>>which has absolutely no issues.
>>Key to all this is that I have the monitor hooked up using a DVI cable and
>>not the VGA cable for an analog signal. So I'm looking for a digital
>>source
>>on the setup.
>>I think what has happened is that I have a "newer" model that has outpaced
>>the installation manual as far as far as the source setup is concerned.
>>The
>>manual calls for a button select that blackens the OBS and is then
>>supposed
>>to show an
>>alternating selection dialog for an analog or digital source pick by me
>>that
>>is to be selected with the arrow keys. It says to use the up
>>and down arrow keys to select one or the other. Simple enough :-)
>>What happens is that when I hit the select button, the screen goes black
>>all
>>right, but the alternating selection dialog for analog/digital that pops
>>up
>>seems to go
>>into automatic and select digital almost immediately without my
>>intervention
>>with
>>the arrow keys. It seeks between analog and digital a few times and
>>immediately selects digital before I can do it manually with the arrow
>>keys
>>as the manual suggests.
>>I'm assuming that Samsung has upgraded the selection to now be automatic
>>and
>>the manual just hasn't caught up with things but I'm not certain of this
>>and
>>need to know that this isn't an issue.
>>The monitor seems perfect except for this one issue.
>>Also related to this; what happens is that when I put the computer on
>>standby, or turn the
>>computer off at night, after the monitor goes black, I get a small window
>>in
>>the upper left corner of the black screen that shows an alternating source
>>dialog between analog and digital just as during the selection process.
>>This
>>behavior continues through several
>>cycles and then stops on digital. This also happens when the computer is
>>booted up.
>>Again, I'm assuming this is normal, but I need to know absolutely if it is
>>or isn't, and Samsung so far hasn't been able to tell me.
>>Thanks much,
>>Dudley
>>
>
>
> Most monitors with DVI and analog inputs look for a Digital signal
> first , since running an analog signal , when you have digital would
> not be sensible. When it doesn't find the digital signal, then it
> opens the analog port and looks there. After 1 or more tries, it
> says. " The computer must be off, I might as well give up", and goes
> black. Perfectly normal operation.
>
> Bob
!