Samsung Flat Panel Monitor with DVI Anyone??

Anyone??? Got a question on source display.

Dudley
5 answers Last reply
More about samsung flat panel monitor anyone

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:58:10 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
    <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:

    >Anyone??? Got a question on source display.
    >
    >Dudley

    Yup, got one, what's the question Dudley? :-)

    ===
    Best Regards
    Katy

    "Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:58:10 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
    > <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone??? Got a question on source display.
    >>
    >>Dudley
    >>

    > Yup, got one, what's the question Dudley? :-)

    Hi KT:
    I'm going to have to start paying you. Don't you have any flying questions I
    can help YOU with for a change????
    Actually, knowing you like I do, you probably fly better than I do too.
    :-)))))

    Here's the monitor issue. I just need to be sure everything is ok with this
    SPECIFIC unit.

    I've been in contact with Samsung's support and have a transaction
    number for tomorrow morning. I need to find out if what I'm getting on the
    screen as I go into and out of standby and shutting down is normal or an
    issue that needs a
    return and another monitor.
    It's a brand new 930b and I'm using it with a brand new EVGA 6800GT 256 GPU
    which has absolutely no issues.
    Key to all this is that I have the monitor hooked up using a DVI cable and
    not the VGA cable for an analog signal. So I'm looking for a digital source
    on the setup.
    I think what has happened is that I have a "newer" model that has outpaced
    the installation manual as far as far as the source setup is concerned. The
    manual calls for a button select that blackens the OBS and is then supposed
    to show an
    alternating selection dialog for an analog or digital source pick by me that
    is to be selected with the arrow keys. It says to use the up
    and down arrow keys to select one or the other. Simple enough :-)
    What happens is that when I hit the select button, the screen goes black all
    right, but the alternating selection dialog for analog/digital that pops up
    seems to go
    into automatic and select digital almost immediately without my intervention
    with
    the arrow keys. It seeks between analog and digital a few times and
    immediately selects digital before I can do it manually with the arrow keys
    as the manual suggests.
    I'm assuming that Samsung has upgraded the selection to now be automatic and
    the manual just hasn't caught up with things but I'm not certain of this and
    need to know that this isn't an issue.
    The monitor seems perfect except for this one issue.
    Also related to this; what happens is that when I put the computer on
    standby, or turn the
    computer off at night, after the monitor goes black, I get a small window in
    the upper left corner of the black screen that shows an alternating source
    dialog between analog and digital just as during the selection process. This
    behavior continues through several
    cycles and then stops on digital. This also happens when the computer is
    booted up.
    Again, I'm assuming this is normal, but I need to know absolutely if it is
    or isn't, and Samsung so far hasn't been able to tell me.
    Thanks much,
    Dudley

    >Actually, knowing you like I do, you probably fly better than I do too.
    >:-)))))

    I very seriously doubt that :-)

    >Here's the monitor issue. I just need to be sure everything is ok with this
    >SPECIFIC unit.

    Mine does the same, no worry... And about the manual selection: I
    guess that if you do not have a second computer hooked via an analog
    cable/dongle you will of course not be able to select it, it reverts
    to automatic when it does not detect an incoming analog signal.

    Manuals are not always up to date with new hardware, did you check on
    the Samsung web site? They may offer the latest version for download.
    Anyway it does not appear to be a biggie, if the search and switching
    modes bothers you when you turn off the computer switch off the
    monitor first ;-)

    ===
    Best Regards
    Katy

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 04:40:35 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
> [...]

    >I'm assuming that Samsung has upgraded the selection to now be automatic and
    >the manual just hasn't caught up with things but I'm not certain of this and
    >need to know that this isn't an issue.
    >The monitor seems perfect except for this one issue.
    >Also related to this; what happens is that when I put the computer on
    >standby, or turn the
    >computer off at night, after the monitor goes black, I get a small window in
    >the upper left corner of the black screen that shows an alternating source
    >dialog between analog and digital just as during the selection process. This
    >behavior continues through several
    >cycles and then stops on digital. This also happens when the computer is
    >booted up.
    >Again, I'm assuming this is normal, but I need to know absolutely if it is
    >or isn't, and Samsung so far hasn't been able to tell me.

    Most monitors with DVI and analog inputs look for a Digital signal
    first , since running an analog signal , when you have digital would
    not be sensible. When it doesn't find the digital signal, then it
    opens the analog port and looks there. After 1 or more tries, it
    says. " The computer must be off, I might as well give up", and goes
    black. Perfectly normal operation.

    Bob

    Many thanks. My concern was that if the signal is grabbed initially during
    the setup as it is, seeking it each time the system goes on and off is
    abnormal.
    If it seeks the signal constantly, I have a normal situation.
    Thanks again
    Dudley
    "Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>the upper left corner of the black screen that shows an alternating source
    >>dialog between analog and digital just as during the selection process.
    >>This
    >>behavior continues through several
    >>cycles and then stops on digital. This also happens when the computer is
    >>booted up.
    >>Again, I'm assuming this is normal, but I need to know absolutely if it is
    >>or isn't, and Samsung so far hasn't been able to tell me.
    >>Thanks much,
    >>Dudley
    >>

    > Most monitors with DVI and analog inputs look for a Digital signal
    > first , since running an analog signal , when you have digital would
    > not be sensible. When it doesn't find the digital signal, then it
    > opens the analog port and looks there. After 1 or more tries, it
    > says. " The computer must be off, I might as well give up", and goes

DVI Samsung Games Microsoft Monitors Video Games