How accurate is the mobo temperature sensor?

alexlyf

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
I OC my opty 165 to 2.4GHz on my Asus A8N-E mobo. Room temperature is 25C and the Asus probe program is showing mobo temperature of 35C!? (even I have just switched on my computer) Does that mean the temperature sensor calibration is wrong and I can minus 10C from all the temperature reading?

My CPU temperature will stay at 38C idle and can raise up to 56 to 57C after running 12 hrs dual Prime stress test. Am I pushing it too hard?

By the way I am using stock core voltage and stock HSF, with Arctic Silver 5 (only put on for 2 days, not getting the optimal 200hrs burn in time yet).

Cheers,
Alex

I have pretty much the same temps on a X2 3800+ on a A8N-VM CSM, the X2 isn't OC'ed. I'm using a AC silencer 64 Ultra TC cooler with AC Silver 5. I was getting temperatures like 5°C lower on a Gigabyte mobo, with exactly the same setup.

Asus' cards may not be off by 10°C, but 5-7°C is a safe bet.

Straterra

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
The sensor on my motherboard was grossly inaccurate. I did a bios flash and VOILA! The motherboard started using the on-die temperature sensor and my temps went down by ~15C...

borandi

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I've my X2 4400+ OC'ed with a slightly better than stock cooler. I'm always BOINCing at 100%, but on a warm day when my GFX is blasting out BF2 at the same time, it hits 53C.

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
The sensor on my motherboard was grossly inaccurate. I did a bios flash and VOILA! The motherboard started using the on-die temperature sensor and my temps went down by ~15C...

hold on, your mobo has a sensor on the mobo (under the cpu?) or what? i think they might have just fixed a temperature reading bug, my mobo reads about 15c extra in bios, but in windows, i get what i think are the right temperatures (which correlate roughly to my moderate throttling so i'm guessing these are the right ones)

Ara

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
My motherboard reports 19 C idle @ my oc thats somewhat imposible on air.
I never rely on sensors.
I use a handheld infrared parameter to make me feel safer. under full load the temps are 37 c at the base of hsf as near to the cpu as I can point that laser.
good investment for under $70.00