Sign in with
Your question

New PC: buy now or wait

Last response: in Systems
April 6, 2006 12:16:45 PM

Sorry if I post in the wrong place or if this has already been done before but I am new here ...

I'm planning to buy a new PC but I was wondering if I should buy now or wait till next year when new software hardware advancements will be released, such as the new AMD-2 architecture (followed by AMD-3), DirectX 10, Windows Vista.

The PC I currently have is a Pentium 4, 2 Ghz, Nvidia Gefore 4MX, Cd-rom, 512 MB ram. And my OS is still Windows ME ! I mostly use my PC for gaming but the last two years I used my laptop from work for gaming but lately this laptop has problems running the games I want to play (Fahrenheit, Myst V, Half-Life, Fear). I'm not a hardcore gamer but I would like to be able to run most games without any problems.

So my question is: should I buy a new PC now or should I wait till next year. I completely missed Windows XP but I do not want to buy a new PC with XP if next year it's all going to be Windows Vista. As far as new hardware is concerned, there will always be improvements but I have the feeling that the things that come to us later this year and next year are worth the wait. But then again, how long will it take when the new technologies are good enough (e.g. better to wait for 2nd generation DX graphic cards) and when Vista is stable and secure enough. If I have to wait till 2008 to fully benefit from the new advancements then I might as well buy now, have fun with my new PC and do a small upgrade later.

Aaaah .. the doubt. I'm curious to know what you think .

Thx.
d.

More about : buy wait

April 6, 2006 12:31:48 PM

If you require a more powerful computer now than I would upgrade now if not wait. If you get something decent Vista shouldn't be an issue when if and when it comes out...personally I would want to get of Windows ME as soon as possible!
April 6, 2006 12:59:00 PM

Buy what you want, when you want it, or wait forever.
Related resources
April 6, 2006 1:05:46 PM

It really depends on your tolerance.

I have an AMD XP 2800+, and I'm dying to upgrade as well.

I'm going to try and hold off until later this summer, maybe by then you can get a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200, or something similar for closer to $250ish.

I will probably wait for the next line of stuff to come from Intel, AMD, NVidia, and ATI, then buy some of the stuff that is considered close to the best right now.
April 6, 2006 1:28:51 PM

AMD Socket AM2 (for their newer Athlon 64 with DDR2 support) is coming out on May 15th.

It won't help their performance much, however the system will be more upgradable and the RAM will have a longer 'portability' life-span to other mainboards.
April 6, 2006 1:36:56 PM

Well seeing how like you said there will be big jumps in technology at the end of this year.But you could just buy now and upgrade later but i am going to wait cause directx 10 cards sound sweet not to metion conroe in the fall and hybred harddrives if they come at the end of this year.I say wait.
April 6, 2006 1:38:02 PM

Quote:
AMD Socket AM2 (for their newer Athlon 64 with DDR2 support) is coming out on May 15th.

It won't help their performance much, however the system will be more upgradable and the RAM will have a longer 'portability' life-span to other mainboards.

If that is the case, then this is what I will do probably. I'm trying to find an AMD XP 3200+, to speed up my processor a little and get to a 400mhz fsb instead of 333.

Then I may just hold off until January, when Vista is supposed to come out, and then upgrade then.
April 6, 2006 1:40:21 PM

you might want to up your video card to.
April 6, 2006 1:45:52 PM

The Athlon 64 3500+ has about +38% better performance than the Athlon XP 3200+

Check the CPU charts on TomsHardware, across all categories.

They are both clocked at 2.2 GHz, and both have 512 KB L2 cache... if you get my gist. :wink:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...

May 15th is less than 2 months away.... you've waited a year or two right ?, another two months is well justified IMHO.

Another 6+ months... possibly less so.
April 6, 2006 1:47:26 PM

Quote:
The Athlon 64 3500+ has about +38% better performance than the Athlon XP 3200+

Check the CPU charts on TomsHardware, across all categories.

They are both clocked at 2.2 GHz, and both have 512 KB L2 cache... if you get my gist. :wink:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...

Yes, but, I have a Socket A Motherboard right now, with an AGP slot. If I go to 64 bit, then I have to get a new motherboard as well. So don't want to do that yet.
April 6, 2006 1:52:20 PM

Going to a Athlon XP 3200+ will gain you about +10% performance, even assuming your mainboard chipset & RAM support DDR-400 (PC3200) opperation.

Going to an Athlon 64 3500+ will gain you more like +75% performance, and that's assuming you keep current RAM.

You are looking to upgrade your Video Card and CPU anyway right ?, so why not make it (PCIe x16) Video Card, CPU and (PCIe x16) Mainboard ?, the additional cost would justify the larger jump in performance. (See 1st paragraph - above).
April 6, 2006 1:53:57 PM

Yes i also agree how much money will you have to spend on somthing now and later.
April 6, 2006 2:18:19 PM

Quote:
Going to a Athlon XP 3200+ will gain you about +10% performance, even assuming your mainboard chipset & RAM support DDR-400 (PC3200) opperation.

Going to an Athlon 64 3500+ will gain you more like +75% performance, and that's assuming you keep current RAM.

You are looking to upgrade your Video Card and CPU anyway right ?, so why not make it (PCIe x16) Video Card, CPU and (PCIe x16) Mainboard ?, the additional cost would justify the larger jump in performance. (See 1st paragraph - above).

Let me elaborate a little more. I do have a 400mhz capable motherboard, but running at 333mhz with my AMD 2800+. I also have a Radeon 9800 Pro video card right now.

Yes I want to upgrade both of these in the future, but I don't want to spend $200+ right now. I'm trying to find a used AMD Athlon XP 3200+ for around $50ish dollars, just to try and speed up my CPU a little. My current AMD 2800+ is NOT very OCing capable. I can only take the FSB to about 171. I downloaded a tool from ATI to find out the max speed and it's only around there. I'm hoping if I snag a 3200 chip, maybe that will allow a little more, so I may see more than 10% improvement.

I currently play a game that is very CPU intensive, it runs decent on my machine now, by getting another 10-20% boost on my CPU will help it a little more. Then I'm hoping this makes me happy until late this year, or the start of next. Then I will go to PCI-Express, Dual-Core, Vista, SATAII, etc for around $800ish. Basically buy the 4th or 5th best in each line at that time, so shouldn't cost too much.
April 6, 2006 2:43:50 PM

At about 170 MHz FSB, with RAM at 340 MHz you'll likely need to bump up the CAS Latency (CL) of your memory timings to get it stable.

Try 1.85 Volts to CPU aswell.

At 175 MHz FSB remember to set PCI bus to Async / Lock it at 33.333 MHz or you'll have problems going higher.

Your processor is at 2.083 GHz with 512 KB L2 cache right ? (use something to confirm this, I may not recall correctly and there are many Athlon XP models with the same XP PR####+ name given to them).

You might just save $50 - $100

PS: Which game we talking about here ?
April 6, 2006 2:51:42 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't bother moving up to a Athlon XP 3200 if you are running a XP 2800, seems like a waste money on dead tech. Plus new Athlon XP 3200+ seems to be around $180 dollars at newegg and zipzoomfly.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

Yes, but.....................

I'm trying to find a used one to try out for around $50ish. I'm being patient and checking auctions and other places.

I agree paying over $100 for this kind of upgrade is a waste of money. For around $50ish, I will do it.
!