Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Water Cooling
  • Thermaltake
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 6, 2006 12:59:09 PM

Hi all,

I am in the midst of building a new system based on the AMD FX60 chip. I purchased the Thermaltake Tai Chi case c/w liquid cooling to hold everything and I am at the point of setting up the Bios. Everything comes on, fans all run, display comes up and all the LED's that are suppose to light do.

My problem is I can not get the liquid cooling system to pump coolant. It is full of coolant, the pump's LED lights up and the pump vibrates. There are no kinks in the hoses yet it will not pump. When I power up the system I get a quick pulse of liqiud but it then stops and pumps no more.

I am very affraid that I may fry my CPU if I keep trying to run it without sufficient cooling so I am seriously considering removing the liquid cooling and installing the stock heatsink and fan which I would really hate to do.

PLEASE, has anyone run into a problem like this before? Can anyone suggest a possible fix that I am overlooking?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

More about : thermaltake tai chi liquid cooling problem

April 6, 2006 5:55:55 PM

You always need to run the pump and bleed the water system before powering the CPU itself. I have the Tai-Chi myself without the water cooling. I added my own as recommended by the sales guys, I made it so that I can bleed the system just by turing one plug.

I have the coolplex 25 in the back of the case, then I have a solid copper pipe that is going only down to the pump in the lowest drive bay in the front. On top of the pump , Laing DDC12-1 with acryl cover, I have a screw that I can open to let the water reach the pump. Once it is done, the pump picks up nearly instantly. Bubbles are gone in few minutes but I always leave it to run a couple of hours.

I don't know if you can get a similar bleeding screw on the stock system.

Go and read the stiky on water cooling.
April 6, 2006 6:40:18 PM

i have the same problem with thermaltake pumps.. i would suggest un pluging eveythign power wise from the main board n such.. find the tutorial how to turn on your power supply with a paper clip.. and just plug in your pump and turn it on.. let the system pump the liquid through the system.. then back off and plug everything in.. ive noticed with the thermal take pumps.. they need alot of power to get the suction going..

i also had a poor PSU that couldnt properly power the pump so mine kept failing... thats the prob with water cooling.. it will vibrate when on but it may not pump.. do yourself a favor and get a $20 flow indicator.. otherwise you might be investing in a new mainboard or processor..

so yeah make sure you have a good PSU too..
hah that rhymes..
Related resources
April 6, 2006 6:44:05 PM

I actually just put one of these together and had the exact same problem. I don't know what it was but I suspect it could have been the air bubble from hell. I even disconnected the hoses to drain the system and got nothing. I tried blowing through the radiator and i couldn't even force the liquid through. I ended up trying to siphon the liquid out one end and using my thumb to keep it from going back in and then trying to blow through it again to work everything out. It took me like 20 minutes but finally the rest of it came through in one fell swoop.

Just be careful because I'm sure that too much of that stuff isn't good for you.
April 6, 2006 6:56:21 PM

haha none of that stuff is good for you.. its a coolant.. taste kinda sweet.. but makes you dizzy..

not that i know anything about that...............~~~~
April 6, 2006 7:51:17 PM

Thank you all for the quick responses. I actually did find the blurb on running just the PSU and I FINALLY got the unit to pump and you are never gonna believe what the problem was... The pump came from the factor with the hoses connected BACKWARDS...

I reversed the hoses as a last ditch effort to get it pumping and BAM... off to the races.

Thanks again folks.

Take care
April 6, 2006 9:51:15 PM

haha been there done that...
April 7, 2006 6:32:15 AM

Quote:
haha none of that stuff is good for you.. its a coolant.. taste kinda sweet.. but makes you dizzy..

Propylenglycol based cooling is kinda safe, all the other glycol will eventually make a very short and painful rest of short life. Just don't suck on these pipes.
April 7, 2006 3:14:00 PM

Quote:

It tasted a little too much like lemon-lime Gatorade. But I'm (twitch) perfectly fine (twitch, twitch) after it. :) 
!