cooling build

spanks

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Hey everyone,
I have been doing much research over the past few months waiting for the slow income to trickle in. I am going to share what I have come up with being possibly the best for my computer. I would really like input on it since I am by no means experienced in watercooling, although I am confident in my abilities that I won't screw anything up putting it together 8) .

GPU cooling - I have 2 6600gt's and am planning on keeping them for probably a year or so. I am going to wait for the directx 10 cards to come out, and then for them to cheapen up some.
The Danger Den MAZE4GPU-SLI for Cooling Two (2) Video Cards
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=169&cat=67&page=1

CPU cooling - I have an Athlon 64 4000+ clawhammer (old fx-53, if anyone wants to explain the difference between the clawhammer and the San Diego cores I would appreciate that also.) I am not currently ocing because I have a fear of ocing stock cooled parts. They are meant to run at stock temps after all...Anyways, I do plan on doing some minor ocing once I get my cooling, but my plans are to make my computer more quiet and have a nice capability to oc.
Anyways, through my searching I have found this as my choice. I like it because I would not need to remove my mother board, and it gives excellent cooling.
White Water LE Copper Topped CPU water-block
http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQX-WW-LE-USMA&Category_Code=WB

For the radiator I plan on using the Black Ice Pro III Radiator.
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=163&cat=72&page=1
I like that it accomidates 3 low cfm fans and has excellent cooling capacity seeing that I will be having an extra gpu water block.

I need a suggestion for fans. I need quiet fans. My computer is loud and anoying, and if I get 3 120mm fans I am worried that I will not see that much of a noise decrease. However right now I have 1 120mm in the front, and 3 80mm fans throughout the case.

Tygon tubing is the only way to go.

Thermal compound = arctic silver III or 5???

Ah and now onto the pump...I like the via aqua 1300 seeing as its only $25
but is it sufficient? I am kind of against paying $80 for a pump because I cannot find a real difference. Most websites hide the head ratings...Many people have been very happy with the Via Aqua, but is it right for my application?

I believe that is all...just a short novel. I forgot to mention that I will be using 3/8" ID tubing. Thank you to anyone who responds, and if you have any questions or if I forgot anything I will be here this afternoon.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I need a suggestion for fans. I need quiet fans. My computer is loud and anoying, and if I get 3 120mm fans I am worried that I will not see that much of a noise decrease. However right now I have 1 120mm in the front, and 3 80mm fans throughout the case.

I've used SilenX fans lately and have lowered the SPL of my computer by over 5 dB. Surprisingly, the CPU and mobo temps have gone down by a degree or two. SilenX sells 9, 11 and 14 dB fans. Typical fans run at least 5 dB louder and many are around 15 dB louder. The down side is the cost, naturally.

http://www.silenx.com/

spanks

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Those fans look cool, but I see what you mean $25 for a fan is kinda rough.

I started with 1 6600gt and now I have 2...I love them very much so =p

I think it is a good idea to get the sli setup because when the dx 10 cards come out, and I rob a bank my plan is to have 2 of them.

I will look into the pumps, I read the intro earlier but I never gave the pumps much thought because they were expensive. I suppose water cooling is not something to get cheap over though.

So, if I do water cool my computer, I will have 2 120mm fans on the top of my case (mid tower lian-li) pulling air out through the radiator. I still have an 80 mm in back, and a 120mm hd fan in the front. Can I take both of the case fans out? I am trying to decide if I should get my setup together and start with just the cpu. Then, when I upgrade my gpu to 1 card, get a water block and rework my system. However, to do that I would need to drain my system and re leak test and stuff.
Ok, so
1. Can I take out the front and back fans when I put 2 120mm fans in the top of my case?
2. Is it a big deal to add a gpu waterblock to the loop later on if I just get a cpu block to start out with?
3. How much head do I need on a pump for 1 cpu and 2 gpu blocks in my loop with a 2 x 120mm radiator?
4. Any more suggestions or advice?

Thanks for the input