nVidia 7900GTX SLI or ATI X1900XTX Crossfire?

Clarity

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
I have the funds (saved up 4 years, waiting for a game worthy of a good Rig), for a nVidia 7900GTX SLI setup. I googled and looked at tom's hardware, and I know the nVidia SLI probably performs the best. But, what's the % increase over the ATI X1900XTX (my fallback) on the game TES:IV Oblivion? That's the main game I'll be playing. Also, will the SLI cards be too hot? I'm not that worried, as a friend recommended the BFG Card's Lifetime Warranty, but the heat might damage other components. However, ATI's Crossfire looks promising. It outperformed nVidia's 7900 GTX when Oblivion was renamed to AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe. I don't know which one to get. OR just save a ton of money and get the ATI X1900XTX? Thanks for all your time.

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Let me warn you that any of these two video cards are priced at least twice what they are worth. The additional hundreds$ they cost over the 7900GT, for exemple, are in no way representative of the meager difference in terms of performance. But if you feel like investing in illusion, that's your choice :D

cleeve

Illustrious
This article shows detailed benches of X1900's and 7900's, single and SLI'd:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/page3.asp

The bottom line is that the performance increase of two 7900 GTXs over a single X1900 XT is dismal. If Oblivion is your game, you might be better served with a single X1900 XTX.

You'll get much better framerates by Cross-firing two X1800 XTs... the game appears to like Radeon Shader power.

Alot cheaper than two 7900 GTX's, to boot... :)

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I am amazed to see that the ATI X1900XTX Crossfire manages to generate 44.6 fps with HDR, foliage, and at 1600x1200. The Crossfire setup seems significantly superior to the single-card setup, which only gave 27.3fps in the same condition.

Still, given that 27.3fps is perfectly playable, the Crossfire setup has to prove its superiority in games to come. But by that time, you might want to spend the extra money on a brand new video card...

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
After seeing the update to that article on Crossfire, I'm considering it myself when I get my new system.

I think two X1900 cards in Crossfire has more potential than two 7900GTXs. Nvidia already has its drivers matured for that series since its just a massively overclocked 7800 on a smaller die. ATI though still hasn't tapped all the available power of its X1900 series. They also haven't gotten Crossfire to the maturity of SLI so theres probably some more performance there too.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Dont waist you time or money. Dont be fooled the only way to play TES:IV Oblivion is with quad sli. No and, if's or buts about it. either 7800 or 7900 series would do.
...................................Then again I dont know what i am talking about

Clarity

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
Thanks for all your help. I chose an ATI X1900XTX becuase it performed well at Oblivion. No dual-gpu's for me, not at the price and at the rate which new cards are coming out!

This_is_Red_5

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I can't seem to make up my mind either. I don't just play oblivion so the Nvidia looks good but I would love to play Oblivion maxed so the ATI looks good. Than there are dual cards... so many opinions and options. I can't seem to decide what system would fit me best.

I think the ATI X1900XTX is a better deal because it's less expensive than it's Nvidia counterpart. They are both EXTREMELY good cards so I figure it's probably better to save a little money... I am also leaning towards the ATI card and this is coming from someone who is pretty hardcore Nvidia.