Sign in with
Your question

Floppy needed for installation? (And other advice sought...)

Last response: in Motherboards
April 6, 2006 6:11:37 PM

I have a few dumb questions:

For the first time, I'm building my own PC:
Proc: Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Mobo: Asus A8N SLI Premium
GPU: BFG GeForce 7900 GT OC
RAM: OCZ 2GB Kit DDR500 PC4000
Case: Antec Titan 550
HD: 2x WD Caviar 250GB SATAII (Raid 0)

1. Do I need a floppy drive to install MB bios or for any other reason?
2. Do I need aftermarket cooling?
3. Any othe advice or thoughts?

TIA,
Gordy
April 6, 2006 6:22:31 PM

1) Since you are installing onto RAID, you will need to install the raid drivers, either by having htem on a floppy (so yes for this option), or creating a slipstream CD with the raid drivers already on it.

2) Only if you're overclocking, and then its still ok up to about 15%.

3) Why the SLI mobo and not 2 video cards? Let me guess: I'll do it later? Later I expect nVidia to have an 8900 series card that outperforms 2 of yours in SLI, for about waht you paid for the first card today. True, the 2nd card will be cheaper 'tomorrow', but it also won't be as fast. Decision is of course yours, but that's my take on it - It happenned to to people who thought that for the 6800's, and I bet the 7800's...

Mike.
April 6, 2006 6:26:35 PM

Quote:
1) Since you are installing onto RAID, you will need to install the raid drivers, either by having htem on a floppy (so yes for this option), or creating a slipstream CD with the raid drivers already on it.

2) Only if you're overclocking, and then its still ok up to about 15%.

3) Why the SLI mobo and not 2 video cards? Let me guess: I'll do it later? Later I expect nVidia to have an 8900 series card that outperforms 2 of yours in SLI, for about waht you paid for the first card today. True, the 2nd card will be cheaper 'tomorrow', but it also won't be as fast. Decision is of course yours, but that's my take on it - It happenned to to people who thought that for the 6800's, and I bet the 7800's...

Mike.

Thank you for the quick reply.

1. I think I should research "slipstream CD" a bit. Since this is my first build, should I just spend the $20 and buy a floppy, even though I'll never use it again?

3. Yes, but by "later," I mean "as soon as I can build the system and get it stable." I don't want to make this more complicated than it needs to be for a first-timer. So I'll probably get another 7900GT within a few weeks and SLI them.
Related resources
April 6, 2006 7:07:59 PM

There are lots of slipstream how-to's around. Here is one I read a bit ago - there are others of course on a Google search. Don't know if this is the best one or not. It doesn't seem too difficult.

I'm steering away from floppies myself, though I still include them in the business PC's I buy. (though the next one I may not)

'Weeks' makes sense for the SLI upgrade.

Good luck.

Mike.
April 6, 2006 7:09:39 PM

Quote:
There are lots of slipstream how-to's around. Here is one I read a bit ago - there are others of course on a Google search. Don't know if this is the best one or not. It doesn't seem too difficult.

I'm steering away from floppies myself, though I still include them in the business PC's I buy. (though the next one I may not)

'Weeks' makes sense for the SLI upgrade.

Good luck.

Mike.

Thank you so much for your help.
!