Dual Channel?

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Dual Channel
  • DIMM
Last response: in Memory
April 6, 2006 7:44:44 PM

I just upraged to 1.5gb ram from 1gb previously. ( 2 sticks of 512mb 3200 to 3 now). I'm wondering if it's possible to have the first 2 sticks( in Dimm 1 and 2) to run in dual channel while having the third run single. I figure this is an all or nothing scenario and if I want the benefit of dual channel again I'll have to get 4 sticks going. Anyways any help is apprecited. Take Care

More about : dual channel

April 6, 2006 8:47:05 PM

No, it's not possible. You have to have an even numbered of DIMMs for the dual channel to work, regardless what slots you use/don't use.

-mpjesse
April 6, 2006 9:45:15 PM

Quote:
No, it's not possible. You have to have an even numbered of DIMMs for the dual channel to work, regardless what slots you use/don't use.

-mpjesse

Actually, this is where it gets a bit tricky...

On an A64 (A friend has done this, so I know it's true) if you have 2 Single RANK Memory Modules and 1 Dual-Rank Memory Module, and you put all 3 in slots where 4 are available (256-256-512-0) it WILL run in Dual Channel.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
Related resources
April 6, 2006 10:53:16 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

The reason I asked in the first place is because I have noticed a serious drop in performance(while gaming) since upgrading to the 3 sticks at 1.5 gigs in single channel as opposed to 2 sticks at 1gig in dual channel. I didn't think that dual channel could make that much of a difference but I'm pretty impressed. I guess I'll just take the 3rd stick out until I get a fourth to go along with it.

I was hoping for a cheap boost in performance with the 3rd stick since im stuck with onboard GPU for a bit >.> ( geforce 6100) but as the saying goes "half measures availed us nothing".
April 6, 2006 10:54:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys.

The reason I asked in the first place is because I have noticed a serious drop in performance(while gaming) since upgrading to the 3 sticks at 1.5 gigs in single channel as opposed to 2 sticks at 1gig in dual channel. I didn't think that dual channel could make that much of a difference but I'm pretty impressed. I guess I'll just take the 3rd stick out until I get a fourth to go along with it.

I was hoping for a cheap boost in performance with the 3rd stick since im stuck with onboard GPU for a bit >.> ( geforce 6100) but as the saying goes "half measures availed us nothing".

Dual Channel is double the bandwidth (avg), and I still can't fathom why everybody is comparing DC and SC to 1T and 2T timings.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
!