When can we purchase 512 mb ram 7800 GS (AGP) cards?

Roast

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
If anyone knows any information on how to get a hold of one please let me know. Is trying to order a Gainward 7800 gs 512mb from overseas my only option? Hopefully Evga and Bfg get into gear and make a 512 agp monster to finish off the last of the AGP cards.

I realized this has been discussed in another thread. Please close this thread.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I don't know but it's getting to the point it would be almost cheaper to get a new mobo with PCI-E and a 7900GT.

Roast

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I guess to comment on that, when looking at say ordering a Gainward 512 which would cost in excess of 400-450 bucks you are right. As far as being able to get an EVga 256 superclock for around 300, that seems worth it. Not everyone wants to tear apart their system when all they really need to upgrade is their GPU. I have a 3.2 ghz processor and 2 gigs of dual channel ram. Changing those will do little to nothing as far as frame rates are concerned. Obviously if I spent another grand or so to get a new top processor there would be a difference, but I might as well do a full system at that point.

Basically I have come to the conclusion as many others have that the 7800gs will be the last of the AGP cards. Here is my biggest argument for current AGP users that are thinking of getting a PCI-E motherboard and other components just to upgrade their Video performance: Both AMD and Intel are releasing their next series of processors. The Conroe and the fx-65 will outperform today's processors so why not wait for those and do a full system upgrade?

Now the only dilemma is: Buy the EVGA OC SC now or wait and see if we can get a hold of a 512 mb version soon. I was able to get a hold of one in Europe but it would cost me 450 bucks. At that cost, I might as well get a socket 478 PCI-e mb and a 7800gt.