POV - Point of View

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 27, 2005 9:04:11 PM

This feature may have been discussed before, and I could have missed it, but
here goes:

I used to play a simulated jet fighter game which was pretty good called
Jetfighter IV. It had a virtual cockpit and one of the neat features it had
was a POV (Point of View). As the pilot (player) turned the aircraft, the
pilot's view turned in the direction he was turning. This left the fingers
free to work the controls while the pilot could easily line up the plane
with the target or runway. Turn to the left, the 'point of view' turned to
the left and vice versa. In this game, the POV feature was optional, but I
kept it on all the time because it worked so well for me, since guys my age
can't chew gum and walk at the same time.

Just a suggestion for FSwhatevernumber should the developers be looking for
good ideas. Any opinions?

Arthur

http://community.webshots.com/user/talkster2
(Click this link to view my portfolio of non-aviation photographs)

More about : pov point view

June 28, 2005 3:17:09 AM

"Arthur"
>As the pilot (player) turned the aircraft, the
> pilot's view turned in the direction he was turning.

Ok... I'll second the motion... sounds like something useful.

Dallas
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:57:42 AM

Arthur,
I think this is a terrific idea. The only improvement that I would add,
would be to add a ""object lock" view, similar to the "target lock" view in
many combat flight simulators. That way a pilot could "lock" the POV on an
object, for instance the end of a runway, and keep it in continous view
while flying the approach. It would also come in VERY handy for flying in
formation too. You would be able to lock your POV on the other aircraft and
keep the other aircraft in continous view. I really think an "object lock"
view would be very useful.
Speaking of viewing suggestions, I also hope that the new version of
MSFS allows a person to scroll the control tower view, so that you can
follow an aircraft from the control tower.

Randy L.

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:D uWdnRVBHZMj9F3fRVn-oA@rogers.com...
> This feature may have been discussed before, and I could have missed it,
> but here goes:
>
> I used to play a simulated jet fighter game which was pretty good called
> Jetfighter IV. It had a virtual cockpit and one of the neat features it
> had was a POV (Point of View). As the pilot (player) turned the aircraft,
> the pilot's view turned in the direction he was turning. This left the
> fingers free to work the controls while the pilot could easily line up the
> plane with the target or runway. Turn to the left, the 'point of view'
> turned to the left and vice versa. In this game, the POV feature was
> optional, but I kept it on all the time because it worked so well for me,
> since guys my age can't chew gum and walk at the same time.
>
> Just a suggestion for FSwhatevernumber should the developers be looking
> for good ideas. Any opinions?
>
> Arthur
>
> http://community.webshots.com/user/talkster2
> (Click this link to view my portfolio of non-aviation photographs)

Related resources
June 29, 2005 9:08:03 AM

"RandyL"
> I think this is a terrific idea. The only improvement that I would
add,
> would be to add a ""object lock" view, similar to the "target lock"

You can get your wish now... ActiveCamera has a "Padlock View" mode. You
set it with the cursor and it will track on that spot. Useful for landing.

Dallas
June 29, 2005 11:58:50 PM

"RandyL" <rlink"nospam"@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Arthur,
> I think this is a terrific idea. The only improvement that I would add,
> would be to add a ""object lock" view, similar to the "target lock" view
> in many combat flight simulators. That way a pilot could "lock" the POV on
> an object, for instance the end of a runway, and keep it in continous view
> while flying the approach. It would also come in VERY handy for flying in
> formation too. You would be able to lock your POV on the other aircraft
> and keep the other aircraft in continous view. I really think an "object
> lock" view would be very useful.

Activecamera already does this.In the VC,press Ctrl+F12 to activate and then
ctrl +right click to pick a spot.It is absolutely brilliant when turning
from base to final.I always used to overshoot and then wobble along on final
to get lined up with the runway,but no more.

Only works for ground objects though.There is also an option to lock your VC
view onto AI planes but it doesnt work in multiplayer. Maybe next version
when they improve the mp and stop the planes from jumping
around.......................

Bryan
June 29, 2005 11:58:51 PM

(SNIP)
"Bryan" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
news:D 9trb1$12a4$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

> Activecamera already does this.In the VC,press Ctrl+F12 to activate and
> then ctrl +right click to pick a spot.It is absolutely brilliant when
> turning from base to final.I always used to overshoot and then wobble
> along on final to get lined up with the runway,but no more.
>
> Bryan

That's very cool, but the example I was citing does this for you without
pressing any keys. The POV moves AUTOMATICALLY in the direction of the turn
so you can see where you will be going and still have your hands free to
control the aircraft. I'm not the worst sim pilot (I think), but by the
time I pressed CTRL 12 and then CTRL right click, I'd be on my way to some
other destination : )

Arthur
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:58:52 PM

Do you use keypad - then 7 or 9 Arthur?

Quilly

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:58:52 PM

> (SNIP)
> "Bryan" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> news:D 9trb1$12a4$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
>
>> Activecamera already does this.In the VC,press Ctrl+F12 to activate and
>> then ctrl +right click to pick a spot.It is absolutely brilliant when
>> turning from base to final.I always used to overshoot and then wobble
>> along on final to get lined up with the runway,but no more.
>>
>> Bryan
>
> That's very cool, but the example I was citing does this for you without
> pressing any keys. The POV moves AUTOMATICALLY in the direction of the
> turn so you can see where you will be going and still have your hands free
> to control the aircraft. I'm not the worst sim pilot (I think), but by
> the time I pressed CTRL 12 and then CTRL right click, I'd be on my way to
> some other destination : )
>
> Arthur

Some driving sims do this, looking into the apex of the corner. Going back
to a sim with a static view is really difficult.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:58:53 PM

--
Cheers
Quilljar

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
June 29, 2005 11:58:54 PM

Yes, I use the keypad, but I don't want to. I want the program to change
the view as I turn automatically so I don't have to take my eyes off the
screen. I haven't perfected my touch-typing quite yet. : )

Arthur

news:D 9u4tv$jdk$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

!