SLI: what's the point?

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Seriously. Who wants to invest TWICE the money for dual 7900GTs, for exemple, while expecting only -5% to +30% difference in performance? (yes, MINUS 5% to PLUS 30%) Why not pay for a single 7900GT now, and invest a similarly priced video card in two years?

I have been trying hard to get it, but the more I think about it, the more I realise how it is stupid to buy two identical cards just because they can be run simultaneously, giving a small performance boost. Buy one now and a much better one later! How can people be fooled by the video card industry like that?

cleeve

Illustrious
The point is for people with a no-holds-barred budget who want ultimate performance.

Other than that, it's hard to make a case for SLI and Xfire. The motherboard is more expensive, it really doesn't pay for the returns you get.

Alot of people here have been saying that for a long time... but like I said, if you have the money, and budgetary concerns aren't a factor to you, then why not?

But for the rest of us it's not really cost effective.

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Glad you agree. The problem is, the number of SLI setups being sold is by far superior to the number of people who have an infinite amount of money to waste. Therefore, a lot of people are fooled by the video card industry, and this makes me mad.

cleeve

Illustrious
Welcome to the reality of the graphics card world of BS.

But keep in mind, SLI and Xfire have their advantages and sweet spots. For instance, two 7900 GTs are only $600 or so, even with a $50 premium for the mobo that $650 setup will probably beat out a $550 X1900 XTX in pretty much every scenario.

It has it's place like I said, but it's not for the budget conscious. So you're welcome to spread the word and stop the FUD like many of us here try to do...

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I also have to agree. I did get caught up in all the hype about SLi, and went out and bought a second XFX 7800GTX Extreme XXX in November. I then had to wait until January to get the Sli motherboard I wanted (Spain is not the best place to get the latest components, and UK suppliers were not prepared to ship the motherboard to Spain for some reason).

I then had to wait another couple of weeks to get the right power supply (don't ask....).

Finally, I get all the components together, and begin to build the system. I then had problems getting the Sli to work without strange artifacts.

During all the waiting for the components to arrive, I read many reviews, and realised that the performance gain was not as significant as I had first thought.

In the end, I decided not to aggressively pursue a fix to my problems getting the SLi to work, and just fit the 2nd card into my 'backup' system.

I have learnt from this experience though. I will not consider SLi (or an equivalent technology involving multiple graphics cards) until there is a proven significant increase in graphics performance across all applications/games.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
As stated, it really depends on the person and thier money situation.

I just built a rig. As in, I loaded the OS on it just last night. I'm still in the process of setting it up.

Last night, I put my second BFG 7900GTX in there. Yes, that's right. Two BFG 7900GTX in sli.

So, sure. An extra $550 for the card, more for the mb, more for a bigger ps (although I need a bigger one than i have i think)...

But..if you have the money (which I do) then why not?

That's like me asking why on earth would somebody buy a million dollar car (some people do). Well, cause they are able to do it.

Me, the difference between spending $2.5k and 3K is trivial.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
I concur: SLI is nothing but a cynical marketing ploy to separate fools from their money - and hey It's working for them a treat!

The chances of dual video card solutions being available in 5 years time is ZERO.

cleeve

Illustrious
Exactly. SLI/Crossfire have their place.

Just like Ferrarri's have their place.

Sure, the performance isn't 5x that of a Mustang GT, but they're still desirable cars...

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
it's kinda like dual core now... 5 years ago it was a technology used only in servers, not exactly dual core but smp. There were no reason to run a dual cpu computer at home, and it wouldn show any performance improvement if you didnt use the right applications.

today everyone wants to have a dual core cpu and more and more apps are being made to take advantage of that. the same happens to sli... it's a fresh technology, not fully mature, but i guess is the new trend.
gpu manufactures are getting to a point were they cant extract more performance from a single gpu, so they're starting to spread to multiple gpu's.

as i said, it's a fresh, developing technology, but i think in the future will be normal to have a multi-gpu card, not 2 single gpu cards

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Totally agree, its hype. You can buy one 7900gtx, smoke most everyone you know and buy the 8900gtx in a year. Why buy two 7900gtx now, when it will be slower than a single 8900gtx in a year?

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Excerpt of PC BUILDING BIBLE 2006 by PCGAMER.

Lie: "Build Your Gaming PC Leaner, Meaner, Faster, Cheaper, Cooler - We show you how!

Reality: there were no actual review of any video card, only pages of praising the 7800GTX, SLI 7800GTX and Crossfire X1900XTX, and never mentionning their outrageous prices.

[...]

Lie: "When you need to do something faster, nothing is more effective than doubling the amount of horsepower to perform the task. And when it comes to making 3D games run faster, nothing has proven more effective than dropping two videocards in the same PC."

Reality: The right upgrade for your aging PC is a next-generation video card, not a video card identical to what you currently have. Like, duh.

I am quoting PC Gamer because it is one of the best-selling magazines, and just to show how false advice is found everywhere.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
truely for us enthuisiasts who spend 75% playing with the hardware and 25% playing games and running benchmarks.

I agree after my 3rd set of dual card setups (new series comes out way too fast) that it can end up being a waste of money... BUT! for those of us that have tons of RL friends that may not have as much money as us to waste upgrading every 3-6 months with the latest bleeding edge equipment.

They get the hand me downs from 6 months ago best. At a great discount! Takes some of the pain out of opening your wallet for the new :p

I was seriously thinking about getting one of those new ATI cards though and going with a single card setup, but then you know what will happen?

I'll end up buying a crossfire board and another card! It's an addiction to performance I think! Somebody needs to do an intervention with me I'm out of controll on Newegg.com!!! LOL

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Did noone see the picture on Anandtech of the quad royal with 10 screens??? If that doesn't justify SLi I don't know what does!

Oo 10 displays? oooo nice!! gotta go home and make room now. Omg no way, thats gotta put off some heat.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Totally agree, its hype. You can buy one 7900gtx, smoke most everyone you know and buy the 8900gtx in a year. Why buy two 7900gtx now, when it will be slower than a single 8900gtx in a year?

This isn't totally right but I agree with part of it, for example 2x6800's SLI'd will beat 1x 7800 but not with everything because SLI is not widely compatible with every game, there are tons of game that SLI actually runs slower than a single card same chip. If SLI ran every game and was broadly compatible it would be worth it but not so much yet but its slowly getting there.

As a matter of fact 5 out of the 10 or so games a play do not support SLI but I still have it available. Oh well.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Adding a second card does improve performance, but it's not worth the money. If you have oine X1900 or 7900GTX, you can easily wait for newer cards to come like 6 months later.

SLI is a stupid luxury item.

Lets just say "SLI is a luxury item." :D

You're gonna put me on prozac!

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
SLi is like specifying a BMW with a 4 litre V8 rather than a 2.8 litre straight 6; one costs less, produces almost identical 'real-world' performance and comes from the same factory. But you'd rather take home a 540 than a 528, if you can afford it.

I thought hardware forums were about no-holds-barred, no-expenses-spared 15ghz power machines.....has everyone gone frugal?

I've gotta say though, although it doesn't really make financial sense, it's outdated just as soon as your CPU is.

Clarity

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
If you are rich, and can buy dual-card setups everytime they come out. I almost bought one, but better decided on only one gpu.