Sign in with
Your question

30 FPS on battlefield 2 for Geforce 6800 128mb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2006 10:50:23 PM

Battlefield 2 for me is going chunky. is 30 FPS low? should i upgrade my video card (Geforce 6800 128mb)? I want to be able to play on high settings with resolution at 1024
April 6, 2006 10:57:39 PM

oh yeah, sorry.

AMD athlon 64 x2 dual-core 4200+
2 gig Kingston DDR400
180 gig hardrive
Geforce 6800 128mb
April 6, 2006 11:14:46 PM

ok no prob there

i suggest install new drivers , get coolbits and overclock
Related resources
April 6, 2006 11:15:36 PM

oh woops, my memory isnt 2 gig, its 1
April 6, 2006 11:18:49 PM

still no prob , i would overlcock though
April 6, 2006 11:26:20 PM

i dont know how to overclock....im 14, so i probably dont know some things, but i know most things
April 6, 2006 11:26:59 PM

Would a better video card help? im thinking of getting a new one anyway
April 7, 2006 2:22:19 AM

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY A STRATE ANSWER, one more question tho, can 1 gig do high settings with 1024? i dont want to run at max
April 7, 2006 2:30:10 AM

Probably could if your video ram was at least 256mb, other than that, I don't think so Medium would be possible though.. I run BF2 smoothly with 1024x768 on everything medium and 100% visibility.
April 7, 2006 2:36:51 AM

wow, for some reason, im getting information. !!! antihaxor what is your computer specs?
April 7, 2006 2:47:21 AM

You may want to look at upgrading your motherboard, too, depending on if you have PCI-E or AGP. The current high-end AGP cards are overpriced and their performance leaves something to be wanted.
April 7, 2006 2:48:10 AM

I have AGP and PCI E
April 7, 2006 3:01:40 AM

Awesome. In that case, I would suggest either the Radeon x1900XT or the GeForce 7900 GT. Those two cards, IMO, are the best buys at the moment. They're both PCI-E, of course.

The Radeon is a bit more expensive, but it can do HDR & AA, the GeForce is either-or (though it's less expensive).

Happy gaming!
April 7, 2006 3:05:38 AM

yeah, i was going to get that 7900 GT, and now that you recomend it, im really going to :)  thank you for your help
April 7, 2006 3:10:00 AM

oh, i dont think i want to take the chances...i hear you can destroy your video card by overclocking it to a certain point
April 7, 2006 3:25:54 AM

well you are planning on buying a new card so OC your old one and see if it does you any good. And if it breaks, well you were going to replace it anywamy.

but you should try upgrading to 2gigs of mem first as it will be cheaper and also improve overall system performance.
April 7, 2006 3:46:13 AM

Get the X1900XT and overclock it to X1900XTX stock speeds!!! If ur budget still fits, otherwise get the 7900GT
April 7, 2006 3:50:38 AM

your 14 ...

glad your askin for help !

most kids your age just go on myspace and uhh yeah u get the point

i can run BF2 on high with my current system

AMD 64 3200+ at 2.4ghz
1gb RAM
asus sli mobo <-- people hate it
6800gs 256mb
and enough cooling fans to choke a small pony

but mehh i could use more Ram
April 7, 2006 4:05:11 AM

Quote:
your 14 ...

Amen!

Quote:

LOL! Sounds like my current system... I think I'm up to 8 fans (down from 11 at one point!).

I actually feel weird when I walk into my computer room and it doesn't sound like there is a hair dryer going downstairs.
April 7, 2006 3:36:08 PM

wow uber g, thought you had 2 gigs like everyone else. well if you can run on high settings, hopefully smoothly, than there is no nead to get 2 gigs, since dont want to go any higher than high settings.
April 7, 2006 3:36:47 PM

oh yeah, and another, i do go on myspace, but i just do it for the fun of building a page, and talking to old school friends
April 7, 2006 3:42:25 PM

I dont want to break it, im going to give it to someone. so no, i would radther not. thank you for recommending it tho
April 7, 2006 3:59:35 PM

i get 50-60 fps in batt2 at 1152x860 no AA, no dyn shadow,

i have 6800 gs agp 256mb, 2 gigs ram, p4 3.0

before i had 1 gig and i could see my HDD chug as I moved in the batlefield. i added another gig and game runs as smooth as my bottom.

hope this helps.

turn off dynamic shadows. what a waste. it actually distracts me when i play to see those silly shadows. dumb dumb dumb.
April 7, 2006 4:03:25 PM

ok, but i would much radther do medium and put the shadows on low, since dont think it will play smooth at 1150 since it only has 128mb
April 7, 2006 7:39:25 PM

Quote:
your 14 ...

i can run BF2 on high with my current system

AMD 64 3200+ at 2.4ghz
1gb RAM
asus sli mobo <-- people hate it
6800gs 256mb

but mehh i could use more Ram

hey man, thanks for all your help, i just wanted to be told if i could run on high settings with 1 gig, and you told me strate to the point that it could, thanks again

~~~ Korbin ~~~~~
April 7, 2006 8:10:30 PM

Quote:
your 14 ...

I'm 14, giving help, and I don't have a MySpace. I do have a website, though, and I play guitar (totally irrelevant).
April 7, 2006 8:11:52 PM

lol, for a second, i thought i was the youngest, i guess not. Yeah i would love to make my own website, i just dont have the tools for it
April 7, 2006 8:26:28 PM

Quote:
lol, for a second, i thought i was the youngest, i guess not. Yeah i would love to make my own website, i just dont have the tools for it

www.tripod.com It's what I used to build my website, which was a school project (my school rocks!) Sign up for a free account.

Now we're getting into FrontPage, which is totally sweet, and probably the best product that Micro$h!t has ever made (that doesn't mean much!). So now I have to find a way to get FrontPage 2003 and Flash 8 from my teacher. Maybe Dreamweaver.
April 7, 2006 8:29:37 PM

I was thinking of getting Dreamweaver, but i dont want to buy a $400 program and not use it, so ill try that page and see how it goes.
April 7, 2006 8:39:24 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of getting Dreamweaver, but i dont want to buy a $400 program and not use it, so ill try that page and see how it goes.

SiteBuilder works pretty well; the only thing is that it loads your site with popups and ads. I once got a popup on my site for a gay matchmaking site; I've never laughed so hard. All the other kids were crowding around my computer to see what it was; it was funny as $h!t.

Also, you might be able to get a student discount on Dreamweaver. My library (West Bloomfield, MI; a Detroit suburb) has Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop CS, and Adobe Premeire on almost every computer; the software is worth more than the computer!
April 7, 2006 8:42:43 PM

I dont think i heard of SiteBuilder. I dont really look into this stuff, i dont think its one of those things i want to do for life, but i want to learn it, just cant pay attention
April 7, 2006 8:57:43 PM

Quote:
I dont think i heard of SiteBuilder. I dont really look into this stuff, i dont think its one of those things i want to do for life, but i want to learn it, just cant pay attention

SiteBuilder is on the link that I sent to you.
April 7, 2006 8:58:56 PM

oh ok, im gonna try that later
April 7, 2006 9:01:26 PM

1 thing you could consider to improve your performance in bf2 is another 1GB of memory.

The game is a bit of a memory-hog. When the maps load, you will probably notice some slowdown. This is generally because there is insufficient memory, and the system has to write information to the pagefile on your harddisk.

Most ppl would recommend 2GB for bf2. However, don't worry too much if this is not an option - it plays well enough with 1GB.
April 7, 2006 9:13:11 PM

Quote:

I want to be a programmer when I'm an adult.
April 7, 2006 9:51:43 PM

hey man i got pretty much exact same specs as yours apart from the X2 (im running a p4 3.2E) n im 15 lol :D  , the only settings where you wont be able to max out are the textures bcoz of the 128 mem but im sure you figured that out. Also to get higher frame rates after changing settings try this :

"Clearing Shader Optimizations: When you change the graphical settings or install a new patch, BF2 attempts to optimize the shaders used in the game for the best performance on your particular hardware. These optimized files are stored in your Documents and Settings/[username]/My Documents/Battlefield 2 /mods/bf2/cache directory. If you've changed your settings several times, I recommend you finalize your changes, close BF2, go to the above directory and delete everything under the cache directory. The next time you start the game and play single or multiplayer, your shaders will be optimized again. Close BF2 one more time, defragment your hard drive, and now things should be much smoother and load much faster the next time you go to play BF2."

i've tried it and it runs alot sweeter, hope this helps until you upgrade. :) 
April 7, 2006 10:54:29 PM

Quote:

I want to be a programmer when I'm an adult.

fits right up your alley
April 7, 2006 10:55:58 PM

Quote:
hey man i got pretty much exact same specs as yours apart from the X2 (im running a p4 3.2E) n im 15 lol :D  , the only settings where you wont be able to max out are the textures bcoz of the 128 mem but im sure you figured that out. Also to get higher frame rates after changing settings try this :

"Clearing Shader Optimizations: When you change the graphical settings or install a new patch, BF2 attempts to optimize the shaders used in the game for the best performance on your particular hardware. These optimized files are stored in your Documents and Settings/[username]/My Documents/Battlefield 2 /mods/bf2/cache directory. If you've changed your settings several times, I recommend you finalize your changes, close BF2, go to the above directory and delete everything under the cache directory. The next time you start the game and play single or multiplayer, your shaders will be optimized again. Close BF2 one more time, defragment your hard drive, and now things should be much smoother and load much faster the next time you go to play BF2."

i've tried it and it runs alot sweeter, hope this helps until you upgrade. :) 

I dont think i want to try that... Not anything against you, I just dont want to fiddle with the B2 Files. I think its way easier to just put my settings on medium for the time being, until i get my new card :) 
April 8, 2006 12:01:26 AM

lol np, its not that risky but fair enuf,
if its the jittering problems you need to fix i would say get 1 more gig of ram or if its just poor FPS then the card would make a big diff.
April 8, 2006 12:11:19 AM

yeah, its poor FPS, i think 20 or lower
April 8, 2006 12:44:01 AM

BF2 needs 1.2 gb of ram to run smoothly on max settings.

My specs, AMD 64 3400+, 2GB ram, and a 6800GT(256).

I play at 1600x1200 everything maxed out 4xaa and average around 50fps.
It played chunky before I added a 2nd gb of ram.
April 8, 2006 2:36:40 AM

ok, but i dont want to play max settings.
April 10, 2006 7:27:04 PM

KingLoftusXII

there is no way you are getting 50fps on 6800gt at 1600X1200.

there's just no way.

not even a 7800gt could do that at 1600X1200 full maxed out.
April 10, 2006 7:29:54 PM

You dont think a 7900 GT with 2 gig can run at 1600x1200 with high settings? i believe it
April 10, 2006 7:38:01 PM

Quote:
not even a 7800gt could do that at 1600X1200 full maxed out.

HeHe ... Very Funny , Cause I Play BF 2 in 1600x1200+4xAA MAX & My Average Frame Rate Is 60 , & I Even Use MultiSampling AA ... :twisted:
April 10, 2006 8:31:50 PM

You guys are wasting your time with this kid. He doesn't listen.

If you are just wanting to play BF2 you will save money and get the desired performance by upgrading your ram to 2 gig instead of an expensive video card. I have a 128mg 6800, and i play on maximum at 1280x1024 smooth as butter. But its your money so waste it how you want. We have already been through this on this post here.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/GEFORCE-VIDEO-C...

-Shaft
April 11, 2006 8:05:17 PM

well shafty, i didnt listen than becuz i said i didnt want 2 gig, but everyone says i nead it, but i dont want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im listening to these people becuz they dont say "get 2 gig to run max" they say get better video card, and i agree, so you can show everyone how i didnt listen to YOU and the neading 2 gig all you want. That geforce card you probably OCed so yeah ofcource you can run MAX
April 11, 2006 8:34:10 PM

Quote:
well shafty, i didnt listen than becuz i said i didnt want 2 gig, but everyone says i nead it, but i dont want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im listening to these people becuz they dont say "get 2 gig to run max" they say get better video card, and i agree, so you can show everyone how i didnt listen to YOU and the neading 2 gig all you want. That geforce card you probably OCed so yeah ofcource you can run MAX

lol then m8 you already sound like you know what you need to get, regardless if you have anything more powerful than a 6800 you are still not going to get the smoothness that is needed to play the game appropriately. Besides the differance between med and high is minimal, All you need to do is turn the Geomitry to high and the filtering, and there you go, saved another 10-15fps without loosing hardly any eye candy. Just trying to find a way to make the game more playable without spending too much cash, thats why we think you would be better off with the RAM upgrade. :D 
April 11, 2006 8:51:58 PM

Quote:

lol then m8 you already sound like you know what you need to get, regardless if you have anything more powerful than a 6800 you are still not going to get the smoothness that is needed to play the game appropriately. Besides the differance between med and high is minimal, All you need to do is turn the Geomitry to high and the filtering, and there you go, saved another 10-15fps without loosing hardly any eye candy. Just trying to find a way to make the game more playable without spending too much cash, thats why we think you would be better off with the RAM upgrade. :D 

Just listen to him because RAM is probably the most cost-effective upgrade there is, and more of it is not a bad thing. I don't play BF2, but since everyone seems to be saying you need 2GB RAM to play it, I'd just listen to them.
April 11, 2006 9:06:56 PM

well, im gonna stop posting, since I now know that 1 gig on high settings, smoothly, is possible, thank you everyone
!