X-NO Archive

Did some searching and for Mozilla Thunderbird I went to

c:// ...... /Thunderbird/defaults/pref/mailnews.js

and with a texr editor rem'd out the line:

//pref("mail.compose.other.header", "");

and added the line:

pref("mail.compose.other.header", "Approved,X-No-Archive");

and when I write a message to a newsgroup the option is suddenly
available under the "address picker" as the help files explain.

I also found a note saying you could make the first line of text in your
message say

and that will stop the archiving with some readers.

I also read where Google doesn't have to comply with the command but
might archive the message for 6 days and then it will disappear.

This is just junk I read. Someone else wrote it. :)

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

To reply privately, get rid of PuPPYmillS
akita_77PuPPYmillS@yahoo.com
(akita_77-note the underscore)
5 answers Last reply
More about archive

    boB wrote:

    > and that will stop the archiving with some readers.
    >
    > I also read where Google doesn't have to comply with the command but
    > might archive the message for 6 days and then it will disappear.

    Those of us who are behind a strict corporate firewall during the
    business day and have to use Google as a newsreader thank those of you
    who add the x-no-archive flag because it really cuts down on the low
    signal-to-noise ratio that impacts the newsgroups these days. :) We
    really appreciate your self-filtering, Usenet altruism.

    --
    Peter

    boB wrote:

    > Do you mean it actually works??????? Like I said, information from one
    of the sources stated the post would remain on Google for 6 days, and
    it
    would then be deleted.

    Yes, this is how the Google web-based newsreader is working. If the
    archive flag is set to NO, the post only remains in Google's archives
    for 6 days, then it is removed. There have been many posts I have
    missed reading because they dropped off before I was able to get to
    them.

    > Are you saying you can't get in to read messages
    > within 6 days time? That's some strict company you work for. :)

    No, I am saying that I am forced to use Google's web-based newsreader
    at this current company because they block the newsgroup TCP port
    (119). I am in the process of getting them to open it up (um, yes, I
    need to access the software newsgroup in support of my work <g> ), but
    this request has fallen to the bottom of the network person's to-do
    list.

    --
    Peter

    Beech45Whiskey wrote:
    > boB wrote:

    >>and that will stop the archiving with some readers.
    >>
    >>I also read where Google doesn't have to comply with the command but
    >>might archive the message for 6 days and then it will disappear.
    >

    > Those of us who are behind a strict corporate firewall during the
    > business day and have to use Google as a newsreader thank those of you
    > who add the x-no-archive flag because it really cuts down on the low
    > signal-to-noise ratio that impacts the newsgroups these days. :) We
    > really appreciate your self-filtering, Usenet altruism.

    Do you mean it actually works??????? Like I said, information from one
    of the sources stated the post would remain on Google for 6 days, and it
    would then be deleted. Are you saying you can't get in to read messages

    Beech45Whiskey wrote:

    >>Are you saying you can't get in to read messages
    >>within 6 days time? That's some strict company you work for. :)
    >

    > No, I am saying that I am forced to use Google's web-based newsreader
    > at this current company because they block the newsgroup TCP port
    > (119). I am in the process of getting them to open it up (um, yes, I
    > need to access the software newsgroup in support of my work <g> ), but
    > this request has fallen to the bottom of the network person's to-do
    > list.

    Wok then. No more NO-ARCHIVE for me. I don't have any problem with my
    messages showing up. Usually it's meaningless rambling. :)

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    To reply privately, get rid of PuPPYmillS
    akita_77PuPPYmillS@yahoo.com
    (akita_77-note the underscore)

Thunderbird Video Games Product