X-NO Archive

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 28, 2005 9:36:04 AM

Did some searching and for Mozilla Thunderbird I went to

c:// ...... /Thunderbird/defaults/pref/mailnews.js

and with a texr editor rem'd out the line:

//pref("mail.compose.other.header", "");

and added the line:

pref("mail.compose.other.header", "Approved,X-No-Archive");

and when I write a message to a newsgroup the option is suddenly
available under the "address picker" as the help files explain.

I also found a note saying you could make the first line of text in your
message say

and that will stop the archiving with some readers.

I also read where Google doesn't have to comply with the command but
might archive the message for 6 days and then it will disappear.

This is just junk I read. Someone else wrote it. :)

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

To reply privately, get rid of PuPPYmillS
akita_77PuPPYmillS@yahoo.com
(akita_77-note the underscore)

More about : archive

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:36:05 AM

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:15:32 AM

boB wrote:

> and that will stop the archiving with some readers.
>
> I also read where Google doesn't have to comply with the command but
> might archive the message for 6 days and then it will disappear.

Those of us who are behind a strict corporate firewall during the
business day and have to use Google as a newsreader thank those of you
who add the x-no-archive flag because it really cuts down on the low
signal-to-noise ratio that impacts the newsgroups these days. :)  We
really appreciate your self-filtering, Usenet altruism.

--
Peter
June 28, 2005 4:52:26 PM

boB wrote:

> Do you mean it actually works??????? Like I said, information from one
of the sources stated the post would remain on Google for 6 days, and
it
would then be deleted.

Yes, this is how the Google web-based newsreader is working. If the
archive flag is set to NO, the post only remains in Google's archives
for 6 days, then it is removed. There have been many posts I have
missed reading because they dropped off before I was able to get to
them.

> Are you saying you can't get in to read messages
> within 6 days time? That's some strict company you work for. :)

No, I am saying that I am forced to use Google's web-based newsreader
at this current company because they block the newsgroup TCP port
(119). I am in the process of getting them to open it up (um, yes, I
need to access the software newsgroup in support of my work <g> ), but
this request has fallen to the bottom of the network person's to-do
list.

--
Peter
June 28, 2005 11:42:45 PM

Beech45Whiskey wrote:
> boB wrote:

>>and that will stop the archiving with some readers.
>>
>>I also read where Google doesn't have to comply with the command but
>>might archive the message for 6 days and then it will disappear.
>

> Those of us who are behind a strict corporate firewall during the
> business day and have to use Google as a newsreader thank those of you
> who add the x-no-archive flag because it really cuts down on the low
> signal-to-noise ratio that impacts the newsgroups these days. :)  We
> really appreciate your self-filtering, Usenet altruism.

Do you mean it actually works??????? Like I said, information from one
of the sources stated the post would remain on Google for 6 days, and it
would then be deleted. Are you saying you can't get in to read messages
within 6 days time? That's some strict company you work for. :)

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

To reply privately, get rid of PuPPYmillS
akita_77PuPPYmillS@yahoo.com
(akita_77-note the underscore)
June 29, 2005 12:12:56 AM

Beech45Whiskey wrote:

>>Are you saying you can't get in to read messages
>>within 6 days time? That's some strict company you work for. :)
>

> No, I am saying that I am forced to use Google's web-based newsreader
> at this current company because they block the newsgroup TCP port
> (119). I am in the process of getting them to open it up (um, yes, I
> need to access the software newsgroup in support of my work <g> ), but
> this request has fallen to the bottom of the network person's to-do
> list.

Wok then. No more NO-ARCHIVE for me. I don't have any problem with my
messages showing up. Usually it's meaningless rambling. :)

--

!