April 6, 2006 11:08:11 PM

Ok I just built a new PC--

My components are:
ASUS A8N-SLI premium socket 939 mobo
Sckt 939 AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Sandiego core
2 gigs (2x 1 gig ) OCZ platinum 2-3-2-5 timings ***Running at 2.5-3-3-5***
EVGA 6800GS factory OC 450/1050
Soundblaster Audigy 2 zs
ANTEC P180 CASE (moved fan near PSU up to middle fan slot)
OCZ Powerstream 520w PSU
*PANDA TITANIUM ANTIVIRUS*
WINDOWS XP HOME SP2 -- OEM VERSION*

My load up time SUCKS-- it was all good when I first formatted windows but once I put PANDA on it takes forever to get from bootup to Windows login screen and then to desktop- anyone else have this prob?

Ok now I have a big question about my ram-- I changed it to 2-3-2-5 but I didn't see a huge change in load times on EQ2 or America's Army. Should I change it from T2 to T1 as well?

Secondly when I ran SISOFT sandra -- my 3700+ performed no better than my other system which has a 2800+ -- What the heck? -- Also SISOFTSANDRA said my processor wasn't using HYPER TRANSPORT TECHNOLOGY.

Should I overclock my processor if so what settings should I set it to in BIOS?

Also, do I need to adjust my HTT in Bios?
WHY is my PC performance not that much quicker than my socket A 2800+ 1 gig of 2.5-3-3-5 generic ram?

The GAME performance is better but load times are not much faster and the boot up to desktop time is actually SLOWER.

I wonder if it was even a good idea to make a NEW PC--

Any suggestions on BIOS settings for Overclocking the CPU-- RAM-- or HTT?

I also have coolbits but have not tried overclocking the card as it runs at 54 C under full load and idles at 40C -- ambient temp in case is 29-30C idle and 39C under load.
Again my ram was advertised to run 2-3-2-5 and i manually changed to that but didnt see much difference in performance over 2.5-3-3-5.

More about : wow 3700 slow

April 6, 2006 11:11:58 PM

Uninstall that "Panda" stuff and test again.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 6, 2006 11:46:35 PM

Wow... ok, here we go...

Quote:
My load up time SUCKS-- it was all good when I first formatted windows but once I put PANDA on it takes forever to get from bootup to Windows login screen and then to desktop- anyone else have this prob?

Well Obviously Panda doesn't like your machine. SO GET RID OF IT.

Quote:
Ok now I have a big question about my ram-- I changed it to 2-3-2-5 but I didn't see a huge change in load times on EQ2 or America's Army. Should I change it from T2 to T1 as well?

Going from CAS 2.5 to 2, you are not going to see a difference in games- period. And yes, you should change ur command rate to 1T

Quote:

Go into the overclockers forum and ask. You'll get better help there.

Quote:
WHY is my PC performance not that much quicker than my socket A 2800+ 1 gig of 2.5-3-3-5 generic ram?

Probably 'cause you didn't make improvements to your storage system. And no, you don't need to adjust your HT speed/multiplier.

Quote:
The GAME performance is better but load times are not much faster and the boot up to desktop time is actually SLOWER.

Well duh... you already established that Panda is fu*ckin' things up. Get rid of it. BTW, you're not going to see significant increases in load/boot times unless you go to a 10,000 rpm hard drive.

Quote:

You already asked that. OVERCLOCKER's Forum

Quote:
I also have coolbits but have not tried overclocking the card as it runs at 54 C under full load and idles at 40C -- ambient temp in case is 29-30C idle and 39C under load.

54C is an average temp. My 7800GTX's get way hotter. Overclock the card until it crashes- then you'll know it's limit. And again... OVERCLOCKER's forum.

Quote:
Again my ram was advertised to run 2-3-2-5 and i manually changed to that but didnt see much difference in performance over 2.5-3-3-5.

Yes, you already said that.

Quote:

Next time I would do a little more research before blowing ur cash. Going from an Athlon XP 2800 to a A64 3700+ isn't much of an improvement. You shoulda went with dual core and a faster hard drive if you wanted to see noticable gains in boot time and game loading.

April 7, 2006 12:39:11 AM

Quote:

My components are:
Soundblaster Audigy 2 zs
OCZ Powerstream 520w PSU

Secondly when I ran SISOFT sandra -- my 3700+ performed no better than my other system which has a 2800+ -- What the heck? -- Also SISOFTSANDRA said my processor wasn't using HYPER TRANSPORT TECHNOLOGY.

Remove Panda. Try Avast for antivirus. What kind of HDD you have? changing RAM setting only affect benchmark because you are seeing the number. In real life, you won't notice a mseconde more or less...

You may have installed nvidia IDE drivers, which is bad usually, as normal MS drivers are doing just fine. You are running with NCQ enabled. NCQ usually slow down desktop.. it is meant to be used in desktop environnement. RAID is enabled, but no RAID array is available or created and HDD are attached to this connector. It confuse the OS, the controller and it is bad. You optical device is alone on its own channel but set as slave. Or your WD IDE hdd is alone on its own channel, but the jumper set for master with slave attached..

It can be a lot of thing, but the CPU is not really what matter the most when booting. HDD is what you should look for problem
April 7, 2006 2:45:43 AM

Ok just so you know I have 2 complete different Computers--

The 3700+ computer has a new 250GIG SATA 3.0GB hard drive with 8mb cache.

I am not sure if PANDA dislikes my PC-- does the fact that it slows down boot times mean that PANDA is not good for my PC?-- Norton antivirus on the other PC does not slow its boot up down.

-- On first boot I disabled raid in the BIOS which helped speed up boot proces a bit, However, I got a bad PSU (Seasonic 560w) and after I installed windows and all my drivers I replaced it with the OCZ 520w b/c the Seasonic made clicking noises under load.

When I replaced my PSU I also *moved* my Soundblaster card 2 PCI slots up so that its right below the 2nd PCI-E slot-- now one BOOTUP I have a message saying NO PCI device (Windows XP OEM must notice i moved my Soundblaster from original place to 2 slots up)

So that slows boot up down by a few secs but no biggy

---Will the PCI slot message go away when I upgrade to Windows VISTA retail?

--I think I installed the NVIDIA ide drivers or what ever-- not sure-- Im using a SATA 3.0GB hard drive and a DVD RW drive and all seems fine so far-- How can I check / remove unnessecary NVIDIA drivers (I didnt install firewall or anything like that-- Just the CHIpset 6.70 drivers and I have no conflicts- but if removing some IDE driver will increase performance ill do it)

I am not sure what other good AV programs there are out there, any suggestions?
April 7, 2006 2:59:25 AM

google Avast. It's the one I use. free and not hard on system.

you may try to clear the BIOS to get rid of the no PCI message.

maybe there is some mixed configuration and drivers confusion when you moved your sound card
April 7, 2006 3:04:27 AM

get rid of Panda as fast as you possibly can. Nod32, Kaspersky, and AVG, in that order, are the best antivirus programs out there. Avast is easy to use, and works well, also.

And for RAM timings, it's rated for 2-3-2-5, so why not leave it there? every little bit helps.
April 7, 2006 4:14:08 AM

Quote:

This is because your hard drive is obviously a slower model. for example, i built a pentium 4 630, 1gb, 160gb system, and a sempron 2800+, 512mb, 160gb system. the slower sempron system boots windows xp quite a bit faster than the 3ghz pentium 4 system as far as the hard drive is concerned because the el cheapo system just happened to have a quicker model.

Quote:

That's just odd..
btw how exactly is upgrading from an xp2800 to an a643700 not a big step??

Quote:

wrong thing to be complaining about
April 7, 2006 10:01:20 AM

Quote:

My components are:
Soundblaster Audigy 2 zs
OCZ Powerstream 520w PSU

Some idiot said that upgrading AMD XP 2800+ to AMD 64 3700+ ain´t a big step, but it is. Just look at the charts at Tomshardwares website... The 2800+ is a lot slower in everything!!!

If you want to boost your load time into Windows, then you can strip down Windows or change harddrive. The biggest boost would be if you bought two 10.000 rpm harddrives with SATA1 or SATA2 and put them into RAID0 (Striped). But you have already bought one harddrive so, then just buy another (same model) and put them into RAID0 (Striped).
Just so you know, if you do this then you´ll have too reinstall Windows and have a floppy-drive for Windows installation...

You can also turn off stupid programs that startup everytime you startup your computer. Push the "Start" button and then push "Run...", type "msconfig" (without "") and push enter.

Do not install any of the recommended Anti-virus applications, that the other ones have told you about. Not that they are bad, but they are slow. Download Nod32 and install that. You can find a "fix" (crack) at Nsane website (search at Google).
That will boost your loading time in Windows a lot, if you are running Panda or Norton you will see a huge difference!

Someone said that you wouldn´t see any difference if you boosted your rams speed. Do it, you´ll see difference in for example Battlefield 2, because it uses 1,2-1,5Gb of your ram and it will boost the FPS and load-time in the game.

Go into your bios and check you have turned off all ports that you aren´t useing. If you don´t use Firewire for example turn it off! Set the HTT to 5x and your multiplier to 11x. Then you´ll have the stock speeds...
April 7, 2006 10:53:36 AM

well... i looked to see if anyone suggested this, and i mightve missed it if someone did... i had actually about the same problem with my x2 3800+, running no faster than my s462 2600+ sempron from my previous build... so i installed the CPU drivers from AMDs site, and things picked up dramatically, right to where they shouldve been to begin with... so yeah, i would definetly get the cpu drivers if you havent done so yet...
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2006 11:55:50 AM

"so yeah, i would definetly get the cpu drivers if you havent done so yet...
"

CPu drivers? ?

There are chipset drivers for NF4, etc..

And there are hotfix WinXP patches (pre-SP2?) for some dual core processors...

But what 'cpu drivers' are you referring to?
April 7, 2006 12:00:17 PM

well, if you go to www.amd.com , they have drivers, designed specifically for their 64 bit cpus... they also have a program for download called dashboard (which also requires a 64 bit cpu), that can assist with cpu monitoring
April 7, 2006 1:09:38 PM

Quote:

This is because your hard drive is obviously a slower model. for example, i built a pentium 4 630, 1gb, 160gb system, and a sempron 2800+, 512mb, 160gb system. the slower sempron system boots windows xp quite a bit faster than the 3ghz pentium 4 system as far as the hard drive is concerned because the el cheapo system just happened to have a quicker model.

But I am using a IDE hard drive in the 2800+ system and a sata 3.0GB 250gb 8mb cache har ddrive in the new 3700+ system

(is it safe to mess with MULTIPLIER and HTT in bios ? )

Also seeing as I have OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 ram ddr400 do u think it can handle 1T settings if i change it in BIOS?
April 7, 2006 2:20:40 PM

Quote:

is it safe to mess with MULTIPLIER and HTT in bios ?

Also seeing as I have OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 ram ddr400 do u think it can handle 1T settings if i change it in BIOS?

If you intend to cluelessly and clumsily "mess" with any BIOS settings, I would say no. I would say yes if you meant to tweak those settings while knowing what you are doing.

Please be more specific as there are two pairs of values with similar names:

One set control the HyperTransport bus (default to 5x 200MHz), has next to no impact on performance but must be kept below 1GHz in order to ensure stable operation, especially when overclocking (4x for 200-250MHz or 3x for 250-333MHz).

Similarly, the CPU operating frequency is set using the same method, (default to 11x 200MHz for a 3700+ SD, higher multipliers are locked) increasing that frequency resoneably above the factory default will yeild an increase in performance at the cost of possible instabilities (compensated by setting a higher core voltage) and increased heat output (compensated by using a better heatsink), this is called overclocking.

Note that increasing the bus frequency will change both the CPU and the memory clock, a ratio can be set between the two to compensate for weaker memory, allowing you to run the CPU at 11x ~236MHz while keeping your memory at a comfortable 200MHz (166/200 ratio).

You can also reduce the CPU multiplier to strike the perfect balance between CPU and memory frequency, expecially when you are running the memory on a ratio.

According to the description of your memory, my first guess would be that you have OCZ EL DDR PC3200 Platinum Edition (2-3-2-5), those can be based on either Samsung TCB3, ProMOS 5ns (relabeled), Mosel Vitelic 5ns (relabeled) or Winbond CH-5.

The type of chips on which your modules are based on will have an impact on how well your memory will scale to higher frequencies and how much voltage they'll need to maintain stable operation under tight timings and high frequencies. Keep in mind that 1GB modules are more temperamental than 512MB ones.

Keep in mind that tighter timings have a very subtle impact on overall performance, the slight reduction in latency will provide a little bit more bandwidth, this improvement usually won't be noticeable unless you're a benchmark freak.
April 7, 2006 8:07:27 PM

I just thought it was weird when I ran SISOFT that it rated my CPU as not much better than the 2800+ and SISOFT said there was no HTT enabled on my processor.
Thats what confused me-- I bought a HTT processor but SISOFT says its not using HTT? wtf does that mean?

Overclocking seems difficult w/ all the numbers I dont think ill try to do it. I am pretty sure panda slows my machine down because after I first installed windows it took like 15 seconds to boot into windows (with only Windows XP, drivers, and a few games and office loaded on the PC). Im just afraid if my machine will ever be like it was because I installed PANDA OEM version-- and I heard that when u uninstall programs WINDOWS never totally eliminates programs--

Will my PC still be slow even if I go to add/remove programs and remove panda? if panda was the cause of the slow boot up * -- gameplay is not slow-- just boot up.

I scored 5300 3dmark05 with this setup btw-- not sure if its good or not-- is it safe to overclock video card with Coolbits 2.0? if so how much should I push from 450/1050 stock?
April 7, 2006 8:26:09 PM

It might help if you use CPU-Z to give you info on what is going on as far as HTT, what the bus is running at, and memory timings in window and post that info.

Most of the guys here then can prolly give you advice on the CPU side, as far as OC it better.

As far as OC your video card, you should try asking that question there. (OC section 3d chips or Graphics Cards section)
April 7, 2006 8:56:50 PM

I can't believe you haven't removed Panda yet. Remove it asap,... once we get that out of the way, if there's still a problem, we can work on other things.
April 7, 2006 10:54:49 PM

Quote:
Some idiot said that upgrading AMD XP 2800+ to AMD 64 3700+ ain´t a big step, but it is. Just look at the charts at Tomshardwares website... The 2800+ is a lot slower in everything!!!

I was refering to his load and boot times jackass. No matter how fast ur frigin processor is, if you ain't got a fast storage system boot times aren't going to vary that much in WinXP. Same w/ game load times. That's what I meant by "going from a Athlon XP 2800+ to a A64 3700+ isn't a big jump" or whatever it was I said.

Furthermore, you might wanna do some percentages on the statement that "2800+ is slower in everything" and the implication that I'm an idiot. Of course it's slower genious, but by how much? I did the math and a A64 3700+ is only 30% faster (on average) than a Athlon XP 2800+. In Sandra's CPU benches the A64 3700+ is only 27% faster than a 2800+. So fu*ck off. It ain't all that faster.

Now go away noob.
April 8, 2006 1:07:59 AM

that video card isnt top of the line for a new comp. And plz dont post that 3700 sucks just say I dont know what I am doing
!