Help with Nvidia dual-monitor setup

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I have an NEC laptop with a Geforce 6200, attached to a 19" LCD monitor. Now, it's automatically assigning the laptop monitor as primary, and the 19" as secondary, and I want to reverse this, so the 19" is the primary monitor. How can I do this? Just about every option is greyed out.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Plug the correct monitor into the other video outlet.
Then, in your Display properties, drag the monitors into their correct locations.

Voila.

FYI: you can't switch the output!

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
At least try to research it yourself before wasting peoples' time on the forumz. google.com

How about screw you. I already searched for half an hour, and decided to add the technical expertise of the forum users to my search.

Mobius: That only changes which edges of the monitors join together and doesn't move the start bar.

On my Dell laptp, it's the other way around, which is good. The 19" is the primary on my left, and my laptop monitor is secondary.

Essentially, I need to swap the little numbers '1' and '2' on the display properties.

ttibbetts

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Go to display properties, click on settings, click once on monitor number 2 then right click on the same monitor then click on Primary and then click apply and ok then reboot and this should do it .....

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Unfortunately, all those options are greyed out, with the message that it's not supported, and I'm in dualview.

I've given up and I'm looking at 3rd-party software to move the startbar and desktop.

ttibbetts

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Try UltraMon thats what I use and it allows me to stretch the desktop across three monitors but keep each monitor seperate from each other when running programs. It also allows for seperate taskbars for each monitor.

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Try UltraMon thats what I use and it allows me to stretch the desktop across three monitors but keep each monitor seperate from each other when running programs. It also allows for seperate taskbars for each monitor.

That's exactly what I just installed ;)

Unfortunately, it didn't help. It seems it's hard coded into the graphics card that the laptp monitor has to be the primary one. not even UltraMon could change that. the extra taskbar didn't help, as the start menu was still only on one screen, and all the windows popped up on that one as well.

ttibbetts

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
If your using the original drivers I would say it is something NEC programmed into the drivers . I've run nvidia since the tnt days and had dual monitor since they started them can't say I remember ever having a problem like that .