cenkaetaya

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hi i just had a question in relation to a friends pc that im helping him fix/rebuild.

Basically he built a socket 754 athlon like a year ago...and some short of circutry in relation to his wall socket got screwed up.

this resulted in like a spark fire in the back of his comp, after which he turned it off right away.

Ever since it didnt work, he thinks its the motherboard.

What im wonderng is that can the chip be burnt aswell or would it be just the mobo.

Becuase if he buys a new socket 754 motherboard and the chip doesnt work,,itl be a waste because he could have gotten a 939 with a new proc instead. Is there any way to tell if it would be burnt? Would there be markings on it or anything?

what do you guys think?

I just dont want him to waste his money on this mobo if it doesnt work.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hi i just had a question in relation to a friends pc that im helping him fix/rebuild.

Basically he built a socket 754 athlon like a year ago...and some short of circutry in relation to his wall socket got screwed up.

this resulted in like a spark fire in the back of his comp, after which he turned it off right away.

Ever since it didnt work, he thinks its the motherboard.

What im wonderng is that can the chip be burnt aswell or would it be just the mobo.

Becuase if he buys a new socket 754 motherboard and the chip doesnt work,,itl be a waste because he could have gotten a 939 with a new proc instead. Is there any way to tell if it would be burnt? Would there be markings on it or anything?

what do you guys think?

I just dont want him to waste his money on this mobo if it doesnt work.

Anything and Everything could be toast, try the parts independent in other systems if possible. Could just be PSU.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Syzler

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Seems to me that if the spike came from the wall plug, the PSU would be the first to die. It may have got as far as to fry the voltage regulators on the MB, but I'd be surprised if the processor is toast. I agree with Mike though, your best bet is to test in other systems if possible and not spend money you don't have to.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
If they only made CPU socket testers...

Do you think it would look like a rubic's cube? :D

One side for 478 - another - 939 - 754 - ect...

But then.... would you need a HS on them? 8O

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
id say the cpu isnt bad, the motherboard likely could be. ive seen so many emachines with dead psu's and mobos, but all the cpu's were fine. In the countless computers ive seen I have yet to come by a dead cpu.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Is there any way to remove that metal cap on the A64s to have a look to see if there's any physical damage to the die? Or is that a very bad idea.

Removing the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) would'nt accomplish anything as far as making a diagnosis is concerned.

The removal procedure is delicate (involve a straight edge razor, steady hands and nerves of steel) and will obviously ruin the manufacturer's warrenty on the CPU.

In that regard, replacing the powersupply and testing the barebone component would be the smartest thing to do.

I removed the IHS on my X2 in order to make my watercooling system more efficient, due to the Danger Den TDX waterblock design, the IHS spreaded the heat across an area larger than what the TDX was designed for and accounted for two unwanted thermal interfaces.

I gained extra overclocking headroom, stable operation at a lower voltage and dropped the CPU load temp by approximately 8C. I turned the IHS into a nice keychain which can double as a conversation piece.

X2_Sig.jpg

jayDee

Distinguished
May 29, 2004
I had the same problem once with my PSU that literally exploded on me because of a power surge.

What you can do is I noticed when my PSU blew luckily all the capacitors on my motherboard absorbed most of the surge and saved the rest of my PC everything else was still in tact no problem. If you look at your capacitors you'll see some of them are probably dented out at the top that's a blown cap then you know you can write that motherboard off :lol: But what you can do is replace the broken caps via an electrician and see if the Chips survived the surge I'm sure that should be easy to spot as well if the Chips on the board actually took some dmg but I'm sure the CPU should be fine.

Maybe some CD-Rom's/HDD's could've taken some damage but That's hardly the case sometimes.

jayDee signing out.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

well if it was a cube then if u toched one side that side would be screwed cuz u touched the pins and get ur stuff all over it or u may bend a pin

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
You could be really brave and open the PSU (will void the warranty, if their is one) to see if any capacitors have bulged or burst, or if it smells like ozone, it probably went to the big toxic crapheap in the sky.

Next, test the motherboard with a new PSU, if its boots into the Post screen, it probably survived well enough to run. As others have mentioned the CPU will survive well enough, but that surge would like damage either the Mobo or PSU, and possibly the Video card or HDD's.

Memory and CPU won't be affected in all likelyhood, but its worth investing in a decent PSU if he plans on upgrading anytime in the future. Get a good brand with at least 480 watts. Plus if any extra cash is available, if his power is prone to surge where he lives, a UPS backup/line conditioner will help prevent voltage spikes.

cyph0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

well if it was a cube then if u toched one side that side would be screwed cuz u touched the pins and get ur stuff all over it or u may bend a pin
Seriously
Who would want or need a Intel CPU tester??? we all allready know if its Intel it's Garbage.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Seriously
Who would want or need a Intel CPU tester??? we all allready know if its Intel it's Garbage.

LOL, geeesh... I did say "If they only made".

Just provoking the thought that if you think you have a bad CPU, your going to have to test it on another MB.

As for the Intel comment, your right, who would need something to test the intel processor? Prolly no doubt that it would still work when you see the PSU blew up. Those AMD can only take so much.. :roll: