Sign in with
Your question

LianLi Cases vs. Thermaltake Armor

Last response: in Components
April 7, 2006 12:34:00 AM

Which one is better in terms of cooling? I think the Antec will be able to hold all my stuff, so it's down to cooling. The Thermaltake has an extra fan in the front, but a snaller fan up top. The Antec looks a few billion times better, has a 120mm fan up top, and I can always buy a fan for the front.
April 7, 2006 12:52:15 AM

I would say the P180, becuase of the seperating chamber it has for the heat of the PS and even some hard drives. I have one and I love it. It keeps all of my stuff real cool and I have all of the fans on low, so I cannot hear my computer at all once it has started up. I have 2 HD's in bottom chamber with the PS and then everything else back up. Moving the HD's left me more room for cable managment so airflow is better. Overall I think both would be good, but I would go with P180...as I did!!!

Best,

3Ball

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
AMD Athlon 3700+ Sandy - 2.28ghz - "Arctic Freezer 64"
2gb (2x1gb) Patriot Performance Memory (2.5-3-3-5) 415mhz
ATI Original X1900XTX
(2x120gb WD SATA HD's) - Raid 0
Mobo limiting OC!!!
April 7, 2006 1:02:01 AM

Quote:
I would say the P180, becuase of the seperating chamber it has for the heat of the PS and even some hard drives. I have one and I love it. It keeps all of my stuff real cool and I have all of the fans on low, so I cannot hear my computer at all once it has started up. I have 2 HD's in bottom chamber with the PS and then everything else back up. Moving the HD's left me more room for cable managment so airflow is better. Overall I think both would be good, but I would go with P180...as I did!!!

Best,

3Ball

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
AMD Athlon 3700+ Sandy - 2.28ghz - "Arctic Freezer 64"
2gb (2x1gb) Patriot Performance Memory (2.5-3-3-5) 415mhz
ATI Original X1900XTX
(2x120gb WD SATA HD's) - Raid 0
Mobo limiting OC!!!

I like it too, it looks great. Nothing better to cheer you up than a good review from an acutal owner. I think I'll get it - weighs less, and looks much better than the Armor. It looks so cool, which was the reason why I even brought it up against the Armor, plus the 120mm top fan =)

Hmm, my future system is alot like yours! Different ram, cheaper V-Card, different CPU, but my mobo will be able to overclock =D Head on over to my other thread if you can help me with my setup, thanks =D
Related resources
April 7, 2006 1:31:54 AM

Quote:
I think I'll get it - weighs less

You're probably looking at the black steel version. The silver armor is aluminium, and only weighs 7.5kg. The Antec P180 weighs 15kg.
April 7, 2006 1:45:31 AM

yes..P180 MAY cool better but the armor is better quality

the P180 is knows to warp if it gets hot inside the sidepanels un-glue from the plastic in the middle and starts to warp, the door warps so it wont close flush

Armor is better because

more room
-liquid cooling
-more fans
-more drivebays

also u can order another fan for th efront, it will convert 3 5.25 in bays into 4 3.5 inch bay's with a 120 in front
April 7, 2006 5:19:33 PM

Quote:
yes..P180 MAY cool better but the armor is better quality

the P180 is knows to warp if it gets hot inside the sidepanels un-glue from the plastic in the middle and starts to warp, the door warps so it wont close flush

Armor is better because

more room
-liquid cooling
-more fans
-more drivebays

also u can order another fan for th efront, it will convert 3 5.25 in bays into 4 3.5 inch bay's with a 120 in front

I've decided I wont get the P180. Reading on the net led to me discovering conflicts with large PSUs (I'll have a 600W), and the case had horrible management in the sense of the cords even being able to reach their destination. Now, I'm looking at the Armor still, but the Lian Li PC-60BPLUSII is looking good. However, it's slightly smaller (I want HUGE!), and there's no top fan. Not sure about how top fans perform, but basic convection would work to removing the hot air's advantage. Case looks goofy though.
April 7, 2006 5:29:37 PM

armor is a good case but if ur willing to toss some mor emoolah the kandalf looks better
April 7, 2006 5:42:59 PM

Quote:
armor is a good case but if ur willing to toss some mor emoolah the kandalf looks better

Both look silly - Almost every Thermaltake case I've seen looks dumb to me. A friend had a Xaser IV, looked okay until the most retarded cherckboard desgin showed up. Yes, checkerboard. LianLi, Antec>Thermaltake in aestheic design. Thermaltake's thermal suppresion design is nice. Probably why I'm getting it, and hiding it on the floor =D
April 7, 2006 5:59:08 PM

I'm looking at the Lian Li V1000B Plus myself. Just hard for me to drop $210 on just a case. I guess its worth it though since it'd probably be the last one I ever have to buy.
April 7, 2006 11:38:25 PM

Yeah, LianLis are pricey but are supposed to be really, really, good =/
April 7, 2006 11:55:56 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at the Lian Li V1000B Plus myself. Just hard for me to drop $210 on just a case. I guess its worth it though since it'd probably be the last one I ever have to buy.

yah lina-li might be worth it but if ur gonna drop 210 buck son a lian li wait a while a while and get the PC-101 looks better prolly cos ta bit more too

PC 101 Pics

or the 767 plus or the 6070 plus get something good lookin, the PC1000 is ugly
April 8, 2006 12:42:02 AM

Quote:

yah lina-li might be worth it but if ur gonna drop 210 buck son a lian li wait a while a while and get the PC-101 looks better prolly cos ta bit more too

PC 101 Pics

or the 767 plus or the 6070 plus get something good lookin, the PC1000 is ugly

PC1000 looks standard to me. Not good, not bad. The PC-101 looks nice, but costs too much for me. I found a cheap Armor on newegg, which was the only reason i went for it =P

I have a question now...

Should I get the Thermaltake Armor, or a LianLi...
April 8, 2006 1:21:22 AM

armor

actually take a look at this lick here

gigabyte poseidon, its a midtower looks nice, good cooling, not out yet im waiting for it
April 8, 2006 1:28:53 AM

I'm getting the LianLi =D. Sorry, but it just looks much better. They both have ease of install (LianLi more with it's slide-out mobo tray), both are large (armor is 4 cm taller and deeper), but the LianLi doesn't look like a goofball. The cooling's about the same, and I'll keep this case on my desk =D
April 8, 2006 6:11:25 PM

I don't like the wave part. LianLi ftw :D 
April 9, 2006 1:41:57 AM

Not there only model, has much better reviews, doesn't have a ricey name and better flow design.
April 9, 2006 3:34:12 AM

Quote:
(I want HUGE!)

Then check out this baby.
April 9, 2006 5:29:12 AM

Quote:
(I want HUGE!)

Then check out this baby.

thermaltake tai chi is bigger by 39.168 cubic inches
April 14, 2006 11:19:22 AM

It really depends. This is my case. It has had several different "PCs" in it. Motherboards, PSUs, CPUs, etc... come and go but the case stays. It is as functional as any case I've ever worked with. All of my CPUs tend to be AMD (currently running an Opty 175) and I don't use Cool 'n Quiet. Case it very quiet however.

I'm running with 4 HDDs (2 * 120GB and 2 * 80GB, all SATA and all Seagate (no RAID either). IDE devices include CD burner, DVD burner, DVD reader and a 250MB Zip drive. I also have a rarely used floppy.

My point here is that this isn't a large case but it cools nicely, is reasonably quiet and has loads of space. If you want a showpiece, invest in art. If you want a very functional PC case, you can do a lot worse! That you can find these around the web for ~$100USD doesn't hurt too much either.
May 3, 2006 5:41:22 AM

Lian Li PC V1000 is still the best, Nobody can pump out cases like them the finish is exceptional. Easy to modify, quiet 1200mm fans, good air flow, PSU in seperate chamber, plenty of places to hide cables etc etc etc.

TT came along a million years later scratched their heads and tried to imitate the lian li........ but they failed! Even after adding few more fans here they still cant compete with Lian li.
May 4, 2006 1:51:57 AM

Hmm, kinda seems like ATI vs. Nvidia to me.
May 4, 2006 1:57:14 AM

Quote:

no, lian li is better period

they are just expensive
May 4, 2006 2:21:36 AM

Quote:

no, lian li is better period

they are just expensive

I have three Lian Li cases and I must agree... they are indeed the very best.
May 4, 2006 2:33:34 AM

yah but for budget minded like me, Antec gets pretty close
May 4, 2006 2:54:31 AM

It's all relative. One of my Lian Lis has been many PCs over the years but the case remains the same.
May 4, 2006 8:28:10 AM

You get what you pay for, save your pocket money.

Lian-Li cases are worth every penny - though if you do get a classic series, make sure to get some C-01 drive covers.
May 4, 2006 2:52:43 PM

I disagree that thermaltake cases are bad. I have a Therm. Armor and its excellent! Best cooling ive ever experienced with air cooled! CPU idle;27C, Syst; 30C, GPU; 40C 8) What could be better than that.
May 4, 2006 5:08:22 PM

while i will not bad mouth either antec or thermaltake as i have built computers using both, and had good experiences with them, lian-li cases are manufactured to a much higher quality standard. all metal edges are rolled or covered, the aluminum is beautifully finished and i know nothing of metal. its like stepping from a toyota to a lexus (i like toyotas dont take this the wrong way). i used to have a huge antec case which i loved, but the lian-li blows it away. the thermaltake armor is pretty nice, altho its overall quality doesnt compare. my friends rig is in one of those and its pretty sleek. i personally have the v2000b lian-li and OMG its sick. its got locking wheels, thumb screws, both side panels are removable and the screws are attatched so you dont lose them, the motherboard mounts upside down so you can see the top of your sexy graphics cards. i knew what i was getting into with that investment, but i was nowhere near prepared for how high quality it is. they thought of everything when they made that case. cable routing clips with adhesive backs are included to help keep it lookin clean inside. go lian-li. it will outlast every other part of your computer.
a c 124 ) Power supply
May 4, 2006 8:37:00 PM

This the one discussion I'm not sure I understand. I'm 46, and have no kids, so within reason, money is not the object. Still, about my only requirement for a case is that it offers front and read 120mm fan openings (they're all going to mount enough drives, and have front USB). I have been perfectly content with the two $20-$30 cases I've bought recently. My temps are in the 38C-41C range, the systems are quiet, and the designs are clean.
I'm not trying to be funny here, but what advantages would there be for me to buy a $150-$200 case? I use competent components, but have not seen the need to overclock. I don't use the cheap PSUs that may come with these cases; I fully understand the arguments there. So, is this just a concern for those whose overclocks cause extreme thermal problems, desire to flourish a massive epenis ( :lol:  ), or might there be some other advantage I'm missing?
May 4, 2006 10:48:13 PM

Quote:
This the one discussion I'm not sure I understand. I'm 46, and have no kids, so within reason, money is not the object. Still, about my only requirement for a case is that it offers front and read 120mm fan openings (they're all going to mount enough drives, and have front USB). I have been perfectly content with the two $20-$30 cases I've bought recently. My temps are in the 38C-41C range, the systems are quiet, and the designs are clean.
I'm not trying to be funny here, but what advantages would there be for me to buy a $150-$200 case? I use competent components, but have not seen the need to overclock. I don't use the cheap PSUs that may come with these cases; I fully understand the arguments there. So, is this just a concern for those whose overclocks cause extreme thermal problems, desire to flourish a massive epenis ( :lol:  ), or might there be some other advantage I'm missing?

Nope! If you're happy with what you have then by all means, stick with it. But, there is no competition when it comes to Lian Li PC cases. I'm 52. I have 2 kids who are nearly grown. Nobody sees my PCs but them and me. I don't overclock. I am not one to boast. If you enjoy tinkering and working on your PCs, you will undoubtedly appreciate these cases.

First of all, if you shop around, you'll get a far better price on these cases than their advertised retail prices. While they're not "inexpensive", you shouldn't have to pay some of the exhorbitant prices quoted at many online etailers.

Unpacking one of these will amaze you at just how lightweight these solid aluminum cases are! Take it apart to start your build. Slide out the motherboard tray. Completely. Mount your motherboard on the tray. Add all of your cards. Slide the tray back in the box. Same with the HD cage. It comes out completely. Capacity? The cages on mine support 5 HDDs amd that's just the internal drives. 12 bays total and these are only mid-tower cases!

So far we've nearly got a pc built and we've never had to actually do any work inside the box yet. Screwdriver? Not yet. Thumbscrews everywhere (except mounting the motherboard to the tray itself).

It's not about bragging. It's like I've said before. You may end up building numerous PCs over the years. But the case doesn't change. They are that good. But also, like I said, if you're happy with your case, stay with it. But if you ask me, as this thread did, "LianLi Cases vs. Thermaltake Armor" (or Lian Li vs anything else out there), you now know how I'll respond.
a c 124 ) Power supply
May 5, 2006 2:04:07 AM

Fair enough. I remember years ago when I built a lot more PCs at work how nice a removable tray could be. When I'm "done" with a PC, I usually pass it on somewhere rather than rebuild in the same case, but sometimes it's just the parts I pass on. I'll take a closer look.
May 5, 2006 3:07:00 AM

Me too. Now I only pass on the parts. The cases remain. Lots of people gain from my upgrades but I'm not giving up one of these cases.
May 5, 2006 5:36:46 AM

Im happy to see many people have agreed that the Lian Li cases are great. The many people who disagree with me simply dont own a Lian Li.
May 5, 2006 5:55:25 AM

I am putting my new system into a lian-li pc65b and I gotta say it is the nicest case I have ever worked with. Thrumbscrew's everywhere 5 internal HD bays 4 cd bays and 3 for floppy or extra hd's. Add to that 2 80mm fans in the front with a built in fan controller, one top 80mm fan and a 80mm rear fan it should cool quite nicely. Plus it has front usb and a window. The fit and finish on this case is amazing.
May 5, 2006 6:20:24 AM

Quote:
I am putting my new system into a lian-li pc65b and I gotta say it is the nicest case I have ever worked with. Thrumbscrew's everywhere 5 internal HD bays 4 cd bays and 3 for floppy or extra hd's. Add to that 2 80mm fans in the front with a built in fan controller, one top 80mm fan and a 80mm rear fan it should cool quite nicely. Plus it has front usb and a window. The fit and finish on this case is amazing.

I have a TT Armor and am happy with it. Pretty good quality. Not long ago, I had some slack time and stopped in a shop that sold Lian Li, so I got a close look at a few models. They are very nicely made, no doubt about it. The thing I didn't like was the front USBs being down low. I have an old Vaio with similar placement and it doesn't work well if the case is on the floor. Not so easy to get to and it fills up with dust and crud. The top mounting of the USBs on the Armor isn't for me either, so I ripped out that cheezy plastic junk on top and made a nice aluminum top plate to hide the carnage, then put a All In One five inch bay unit on the front. Much better. Note: not all Lian Lis have the low front USB placement - I saw one that didn't and it's a beauty! I'd have to dig to find the model number...
May 5, 2006 12:12:57 PM

I have 2 Lian Li cases: V1100 IIB Plus and 3077B. I'd have to agree that the craftsmanship is great and there are many accessories available; however, from my experience, the coolings isn't good on the silent series, even though the 120mm fans are clearly audible. The V1000 is probably better for cooling. Running water cooling with 2 120mm radiators mounted inside the V1100 to cool the GPU and CPU resulted in high temperatures. The fans included in the PLUS are necessary, although they won't fit if your graphics card cooling solution is too high profile. Probably would only be a problem with a water block on the GPU and memory. Since, I have changed from using the V1100 to a Silverstone TJ07B, which is a great case, although the fit of the Lian Li is better.
!