Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Opteron 175 vs. AMD 64 X2 4400+ Toledo

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 7, 2006 1:18:10 AM

Hello, I'm ordering a AMD 64 X2 4400+ Toledo. I could've gotten the 4600+, but due to advice from others, the 2 MB cache on the 4400+ was the way to go. I'm thinking about OCing this processor to the 4600 speeds (2.4 ghz). I'll have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro on the CPU. Will I be able to stably OC it to 4600 speeds? Would an 175 Operton or 4400 be better for overclocking? And, how high could a 175 Operton go? I know 165's have gone to 2.8...

Second question. At http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp#fo..., the processors have a 1.35v 89w, 1.40v 89w, 1.35v 115w, 1.40v 115w selection. How do I know what mine is? Mine will be the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681.... And, when I overclock, it gives an option for the overclocked Vcore, the 1.35v/1.40v setting. What's the deal with that?

Thanks for all your help.

More about : opteron 175 amd 4400 toledo

April 7, 2006 9:32:14 PM

Quote:
Hello, I'm ordering a AMD 64 X2 4400+ Toledo. I could've gotten the 4600+, but due to advice from others, the 2 MB cache on the 4400+ was the way to go. I'm thinking about OCing this processor to the 4600 speeds (2.4 ghz). I'll have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro on the CPU. Will I be able to stably OC it to 4600 speeds? Would an 175 Operton or 4400 be better for overclocking? And, how high could a 175 Operton go? I know 165's have gone to 2.8...

You should have no problems OCing the 4400+ by 200MHz. I would guess you could get quite a bit higher, but I have no experience with this cpu.

Regarding the Opterons, the 165, 170, and 175 should all overclock to 2.5GHz easily on stock hsf - most to 2.6GHz, and some beyond. It all depends on the specific cpu you get. Some overclock better than others.

The 170 is considered the easiest to overclock because it has a x10 multiplier (so the maths is easier). The 165 is probably the best value for money, and generally provides very good results overclocking. The 175 starts at x11, so it's a smaller increase to get to 2.6GHz. I think on average, they probably all overclock about the same.

Quote:
Second question. At http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp#fo..., the processors have a 1.35v 89w, 1.40v 89w, 1.35v 115w, 1.40v 115w selection. How do I know what mine is? Mine will be the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681.... And, when I overclock, it gives an option for the overclocked Vcore, the 1.35v/1.40v setting. What's the deal with that?

Unfortunately, that link doesn't show me the product. However, I would suggest working off the highest figures when planning to buy a psu - better to be safe than sorry.

There's a list of product codes and their relevant wattage at amdcompare that you can check if you like.

The overclocked vCore setting is there because some people will increase the vCore beyond stock to gain better stability or a higher overclock. Any increase in vCore will also increase the power required by the cpu. As this additional power is provided by the psu, it's necessary to include this in the calculation. Again, it's best to use the highest figures just to be safe.
April 7, 2006 10:14:45 PM

It all depends on what your budget is. I had the same dilemma a few weeks back i chose the opty 170 because it doesnt have to go far to overclock to your speed. Last i heard they are discontiuning the optys because its taking revenue away from the the X2, IMO i would get the 170 because its limited and less than the 4400, you can always get the 4400 but you cant get the 170 once its discontinued.
Related resources
April 7, 2006 10:40:27 PM

I'm typing this on my computer running an X2 4400+ OC'ed to 2.4GHz (218MHzx11). My temps are 29-30C idle and 38C under load, when I take it to the warmest parts of the house the temps are a few degrees higher. I am using stock cooling, if you have good airflow in your case, the stock fan/heatsink with this processor are more then you need to go up 200MHz. I know it has alot more in it but I see no need to push it. Unless you are going to be doing some hard core overclocking the X2 4400+ with stock cooling is perfect for you. My advice, save the money on the 175 and aftermarket cooling, it's like $85 together, get the X2 4400+ (the stock cooler is real nice 4 copper heatpipes, copper base, 80mm fan) it will serve you well.

Don't start messing with voltages, bad things can happen really easily.
April 8, 2006 12:05:51 AM

I'm going to get the opty 170 (highest overclocking potential). Jesus, they are discontinuing it?! I might not order the whole thing for a while...the opty had better be in stock!
April 27, 2006 3:42:31 AM

Does the fact that the 4400 has double the HT bandwidth than the Opty 170/175 make any real world difference in CPU intesive activities or multi-tasking ability? (With no overclocking on either).
April 27, 2006 2:00:24 PM

Quote:
Does the fact that the 4400 has double the HT bandwidth than the Opty 170/175 make any real world difference in CPU intesive activities or multi-tasking ability? (With no overclocking on either).

Both S939 Opteron dualcore and X2 have double-pumped HTT(2x1000Mhz).
Afterall, they have the exact identical core.

???

Is the Newegg info a misprint? According to Newegg the Opty's 160-175 have 1000MHz bandwidth while the x2 4400 has 2000MHz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
April 30, 2006 2:46:25 AM

Gosh they're both good. i got the 175 because ... it was there ? & i wanted it :D 

i don't understand the difference, why the opty's have a reputation for OCing better, but they do.

this is my stepping



i bought it 3-4 weeks ago from Newegg.
0550UPMW, made the 2nd week in december '05 maybe ?

i'm thinking AMD will be doing some price cuts of their own soon, in response to intel's price cuts.
May 1, 2006 6:42:04 AM

Quote:
The 170 is considered the easiest to overclock because it has a x10 multiplier (so the maths is easier).


There is more to it than that, something to do with manufacturing process.
Since the Opty 175 does 10x just fine...
May 29, 2009 7:23:55 AM

I had a x2 4400+ toledo core and I was able to get it to 2.6 on air,and 2.8 on water,bothe speeds stable.They came with an excellent cooler.I was one of the foolish ones and bought it when it cost $600.00 Canadian.I found it to be a very good cpu all the way around.Currently running C2D E8500 oc to 4.01ghz.Goodluck.

Dahak

P5N-D 750I BIOS1001
C2D E8500 4.01ghz
ZALMAN 9700 CPU COOLER
2X2GIG DDR2 1066 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA GTX 280 SUPERCLOCKED
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
LG 24IN WS LCD 1920X1080
250GIG HD/500GIG HD
LOGITECH G15 GAMING KEYBOARD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64


June 19, 2009 1:21:03 AM

Quote:
Any particular excuse for this?

NO!!??
June 22, 2009 6:03:35 PM

My teacher overclocks his 4600+ to 3.0 Ghz stably , I'm sure you could get the 4400+ to at least 2.8 Ghz.
June 22, 2009 9:11:11 PM

date
June 23, 2009 4:42:33 AM

!