Bangdag Airport

Good Day all.

Can anyone tell me where to find Bangdag Airport in Tibet on fs2004 or
whether it actual exists. As a sad newby and apparently its the highest
airport in the world I thought a quick nose around might be in order....

...have googled plenty with no avail, i can't seem to find it on FS.
Perhaps there is another name for it????

Thanks in advance....

Paul

Yes, I think it is considered to be the highest airport in the world and
yes, there are various names: Bangda Airport of Changdu, or Chengdu, etc.
There is an addon scenery at Flightsim.com. Search there for the file
tibet_95.zip. Or try other sites. The author is Jan Martin.

You'll need a plane that can land and takeoff at such altitudes like a Twin
Otter or Pilatus Porter. You might have to start with less than a full tank.

--
peter greenstein
http://wakefieldjazz.com/

"Peter Greenstein" <pgreenst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yes, I think it is considered to be the highest airport in the world and
> yes, there are various names: Bangda Airport of Changdu, or Chengdu, etc.
> There is an addon scenery at Flightsim.com. Search there for the file
> tibet_95.zip. Or try other sites. The author is Jan Martin.
>
> You'll need a plane that can land and takeoff at such altitudes like a
> Twin Otter or Pilatus Porter. You might have to start with less than a
> full tank.
>
> --
> peter greenstein
> http://wakefieldjazz.com/

In the default FS2004 scenery is El Alto International, for La Paz, Bolivia
which is over 13,000 ft. These high altitude airports have very long
runnways!

pg

Peter,
That runway is something like 18,000 ft long. Certainly not STOL,
but you will need turbocharging or turbine.
You can barely cold start an engine in FS up there.

Cheers,
Bruce F

Peter Greenstein wrote:

> You'll need a plane that can land and takeoff at such altitudes like a Twin
> Otter or Pilatus Porter. You might have to start with less than a full tank.

Try a Google on "bangda airport". Here is a quote from one of many
hits.
"the world's highest-altitude commercial airport is at Bangda, Tibet
at 14,219 feet (4,334 metres), Airbus tested the A319 there, China
Southwest flew B752 in there. 2nd highest must be LaPaz
13320ft/4060meters Lhasa, Tibet is with 11,621 feet (3,542 metres) the
3rd highest commercial served.

Lowest is Furnace Creek / Death Valley National Park at -210 feet, -64
meters
, lowest international is Amsterdam at -11 feet (-3 meters).

Glenn

gswiebeREMOVE_THIS@mts.net wrote:
> Try a Google on "bangda airport". Here is a quote from one of many
> hits.
> "the world's highest-altitude commercial airport is at Bangda, Tibet
> at 14,219 feet (4,334 metres), Airbus tested the A319 there, China
> Southwest flew B752 in there. 2nd highest must be LaPaz
> 13320ft/4060meters Lhasa, Tibet is with 11,621 feet (3,542 metres) the
> 3rd highest commercial served.
>
> Lowest is Furnace Creek / Death Valley National Park at -210 feet, -64
> meters
> , lowest international is Amsterdam at -11 feet (-3 meters).
>

> Glenn
>
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:54:45 -0700, "Peter Greenstein"
> <pgreenst@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Yes, I think it is considered to be the highest airport in the world and
>>yes, there are various names: Bangda Airport of Changdu, or Chengdu, etc.
>>There is an addon scenery at Flightsim.com. Search there for the file
>>tibet_95.zip. Or try other sites. The author is Jan Martin.
>>
>>You'll need a plane that can land and takeoff at such altitudes like a Twin
>>Otter or Pilatus Porter. You might have to start with less than a full tank.
>>
>>--
>>peter greenstein
>>http://wakefieldjazz.com/
>>

>>"Paul Whitewick" <paulandnicky@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>Good Day all.
>>>
>>>Can anyone tell me where to find Bangdag Airport in Tibet on fs2004 or
>>>whether it actual exists. As a sad newby and apparently its the highest
>>>airport in the world I thought a quick nose around might be in order....
>>>
>>>..have googled plenty with no avail, i can't seem to find it on FS.
>>>Perhaps there is another name for it????
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance....
>>>
>>>Paul

Excellent...thanks both

Paul

"Bruce Freeburger" <USENETsnowmobiles@unleasheddogsBIKESonTV.com> wrote in
message news:dNCdncxI-O_PGVzfRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> Peter,
> That runway is something like 18,000 ft long. Certainly not STOL, but
> you will need turbocharging or turbine.
> You can barely cold start an engine in FS up there.
>
> Cheers,
> Bruce F

Oh, my! I guess I forgot that it's an International Airport designed for
"Heavy Iron." Those planes probably have to have some redesign to startup at
that altitude?

--
peter greenstein
http://wakefieldjazz.com/

Peter,
The cold start at high altitude airports problem seems to be a
Flight Sim problem. In the real world you can play with the carb mixture
settings on a carburated normally asperated piston. Even the FS Mooney
doesn't like to start up there.
I can't remember the scenery at ZUBD. It may be in a reatively low
area. Even if it isn't, the 1,000 ft min ground clearance for a holding
pattern would be 15,220 Ft. That's way over the ceiling of most
non-Turbo light singles. The 172 ceiling is 13,100, the 182 is 14,900
for example.

ZUBD Changdu Bangda Tibet 14,219 18,045

The modern comercial jets probably have some electronic fuel management

By the way, in MSFS they list a 8,760 ft dirt runway in Peru (SPRF) up
at 14,422 ft. I can't find much else about San Rafael SPRF outside of
FS. Obviously, it is very remote.
SPRF San Rafael Peru 14,422 8,760

Cheers,
Bruce F

message news:zJedncIErZdb5V_fRVn-vQ@comcast.com...
> Peter,
> The cold start at high altitude airports problem seems to be a Flight
> Sim problem. In the real world you can play with the carb mixture settings
> on a carburated normally asperated piston. Even the FS Mooney doesn't like
> to start up there.
> I can't remember the scenery at ZUBD. It may be in a reatively low area.
> Even if it isn't, the 1,000 ft min ground clearance for a holding pattern
> would be 15,220 Ft. That's way over the ceiling of most non-Turbo light
> singles. The 172 ceiling is 13,100, the 182 is 14,900 for example.
>
> ZUBD Changdu Bangda Tibet 14,219 18,045
>
> The modern comercial jets probably have some electronic fuel management
>
> By the way, in MSFS they list a 8,760 ft dirt runway in Peru (SPRF) up at
> 14,422 ft. I can't find much else about San Rafael SPRF outside of FS.
> Obviously, it is very remote.
> SPRF San Rafael Peru 14,422 8,760
>
> Cheers,
> Bruce F

Bruce,

In FS at these altitudes I've had trouble getting started or off the runnway
with anything other than the Pilatus Porter or the DHC-6 but they are
turboprops. And if there are close mountains all around? That's another
problem. Reducing fuel level and making sure the outside air temperature is
realistically low helps.

Paro, Bhutan is not as high as those others but the mountains around make it
difficult to get in and out. Have you ever tried this airport in FS? I think
Bhutan Royal Airlines use a BAE 146-100 so I tried this in an earlier
version of FS. Using a d/l BAE146 I made it by "spiraling up", or whatever
the correct term is.

On the Net I came across a rumour of a gravel strip somewhere above 18,000
ft which if it exists is there for occaisional use!

But ZUBD seems to be the highest elevation for an International airport with
regular flights handling Airbus, Boeing 757, etc. Here's one view:
http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dawa/01/153-23F.jpg, and another:
http://free.pages.at/piraalta/bangdaairport/

--
peter greenstein