New hardware corrupting XP

Reaperc89

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Ive recently updated a few pieces of hardware in my system only to get some issues that i cannot explain.

I upgraded to the following
Foxconn 915A03-P-8LRS motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813186032

Intel Celeron D processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819112205

And an XFX Geforce 6600 GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150098

I obviously didn't invest a fortune in this upgrade.

Anyways, ever since i upgraded i keep getting corrupted or missing files when starting XP

I format the drive, install XP, update to all of the latest drivers and what not and everything runs fine during the restarts throughout that.

After that i do whatever for a little while, shut down my computer a few hours later, start it up and boom, missing or corrupt files at c:windowssystem32configsystem.

It happens EVERY time and i don't know why. Has anyone else encountered this problem? or does anyone know of a fix for this?

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I doubt that your problem stems from any of this new hardware per se. It could be a corrupt or wrong driver for the board or video card. I would run a diagnostic on the hard drive and memory. I'd also make sure I was using the latest drivers for the hardware from the manufacturer's website.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I'm not an expert but I think it might be your hard drive. If you've got another one laying around (sheah right) you might want to try that instead or if you've got another computer, you could try hooking it upto that one and doing a fresh install to see if it works.

I had a problem kinda like that a few months ago. I had just bought my computer (a dell, d'oh(yeah i suck, rub it in)) and I had everything on there but hadn't backed anything up yet. Whad'ya know when I turn on my computer, when booting winxp, I get this big error message saying the exact same thing that happened to you.

After phoning tech support and my helpful friends from Electronic Ark, they both said it was a hard drive error.

I dont really know what it was since it only happened once and I was able to get my stuff backed up and reformatted my hard drive.

What you can do to see if it is your hard drive is go into the bios and somewhere there'll be something about the hard drive and S.M.A.R.T. capabilities. Turn those on and restart. after that when you're loading the bios, press either f8 or f12, I can't remember which one, but it'll ask you what you want to load from, hard drive, diskette or cd-rom. Under that there'll be a "check hard drive" thing. Go to that and run it through a test. If it fails then you've got yourself a nice paperweight (I open up mine and then fill them with something explosive, they sometimes blow up quite nicely although a lot of the time the cover just explodes. Either way it's still cool). If it passes the test then maybe try it once more and then you can rule it out.