Arthur

My i865 printer has two black ink tanks. Could someone tell me please
under what conditions each is used? Is the small one only used to darken
colours, or is it used for text printing as well? Is the big one only
used for low-res text printing?

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Canon%20i865/page_1.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Arthur" <Arthur@nospam.com> wrote in message

> My i865 printer has two black ink tanks. Could someone tell me please
> under what conditions each is used? Is the small one only used to
darken
> colours, or is it used for text printing as well? Is the big one only
> used for low-res text printing?

The link supplied below has a very good explanation, but you must go to page
5 and not page 1 to find it. I have an iP4000 which uses the same printhead
setup as the i860/865. What I've found is that the pigmented black from the
BCI-3eBK tank is only used in plain paper mode. It doesn't matter if it's
text or graphics, it will use the pigmented ink. In any other mode, that
tank isn't used. For all modes, the photo black or BCI-6BK is used. Use this
test to see the difference. Print a photo in grayscale or b/w. Print it once
using a setting other than plain paper. Then print it again in plain paper
mode and note how much faster it prints. If you can open the cover to view
the print you'll see the ink is applied in wide passes with the pigmented
inks and in smaller passes with the photo inks. You can also see this effect
when printing color photos and using plain paper settings. The pigmented
black will be a wide pass that's quite visible until overprinted with the
photo inks.
--
Ron Cohen

"Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Canon%20i865/page_1.htm
>
> Regards,
> Emrys Davies.
>

> "Arthur" <Arthur@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> My i865 printer has two black ink tanks. Could someone tell me please
>> under what conditions each is used? Is the small one only used to
> darken
>> colours, or is it used for text printing as well? Is the big one only
>> used for low-res text printing?

Arthur

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:01:35 GMT, Ron Cohen
<drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> It's hard to say without knowing the actual ink level prior to the text
> printing batch. Are you refilling? If so, I recommend that you don't let
> the
> tanks run dry as that can shorten the life of the sponges (as well as the
> printhead).

Thanks Ron. I have been buying replacement Canon cartridges so far, but I
think I will try refilling at least the large black ink as I will be doing
a lot more text docs.

Arthur