cd rom wont work

Bubb68

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
for some reason my cd drive wont recognize any cd i put in it, a bunt cd or a reatil one. i have a tdk 880N dvd r/rw drive. when i put in a disc it doesnt auto run, nor when i go into my computer and open up my cd drive, nothing is listed. please help.

-brad

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Did it work before or is this a sudden problem?

If it's suddenly happened then try the firmware, but it can't be the master/slave thing. Check the IDE cable, swap it out for another one, and then use a cleaning disc on the drive.

kroom

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I think I can help you with this problem, because I had same one a week ago. My cd-rom stopped working after I blew the dust away from my comp case. I checked all the cables - nothing... used cleaning disk - nothing... opened up the cd-rom case to examine the lense - I just managed to destroy fully working device (as I discovered later)... So I put into another cd-rom device and that did not work either... at that place my ideas were over - I even thought, that motherboard was somehow corrupted and could not support cd-rom anymore...

Uninstalling and reinstalling did not help at all.

Then friend of mine advised to use disc bootable linux to ispect, if the cd-rom was ok. I used Knoppix 3.9, which can run on NTFS (just set your bios first boot device to cd-rom, insert disc and restart your comp.) Knoppix recognised my cd-rom instantly and booted up. After that all there was to do was to reinstall windows. With new windows my cd-rom worked again.

PS: do your usb ports work? When I had problems with my cd-rom, the usb ports did not work either.

"Then friend of mine advised to use disc bootable linux to ispect, if the cd-rom was ok."

If the CD ROm is not even being seen in the mainboard's BIOS detection of IDE devices, which OS one uses/boots with won't make much difference...

(I think since his device is showing up in "my comp", it must be seen in BIOS/and by WIndows; either a ribbon worked itself loose, or the drive crapped out)

TRENDING THREADS