Hi im new here and this is a long story, im sure you guys could help me out :D

My New system:

AMD 3500+
7800GT
1Gig PC2100 Ram:)/)
Amd Inifity Mobo
Hiper PSU 480W TypeR
A NEW 160GB HD IDE
An OLD 80GB HD (this contains an XP Home Edition from my old pc and also ahs all my files)

So when i first built it i installed a new copy of XP Pro on the 160 with 3 partitions, at this point the 80 was Master and the 160 was Slave and it was fine then. But after that i had PSU problems and so i left it for about a month until i got a PSU replacement.

After that trying to build the PC again i put in both of the harddrives but the wrong way round, (160 - Master, 80 Slave) And ever since i get "Error loading operating system" after "Verifying DMI Pool Data"

Ive tried having only the 160 in, formatting in Windows Installer and repartioning and i still get the same error, althought once it did boot but when i tried to mix the hard drives it came up with the same error again.

Ive tried having the 160 with no partitions and installing it then, still came up with the same error.

Ive tried having the 80 as Master and the 160 as Slave again but still the same error

Ive made sure the jumpers are correct, and that the boot order is correct in the BIOS. I thought it might be the boot.ini and so i found taht the boot.ini was located on the 80 as it was a boot drive. ( and still is on my OLD pc)

It says

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)part ition(1)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1) WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Is there anyway to have the OS on the 160 and still be able to have use of the 80 with the files/programs etc and so it doesnt come up with this error.

Thanks in advance, Fred!

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I've seen machines hang at the "verifying DMI Pool data" message and it turned out to be hardware related.

You could try:

- Use the CS (Cable Select) on your drives click me !
- Flash your mobo BIOS to latest version
- Take out all non-essential hardware (sound card, 2nd disk ...) and try installing
- Run some Hard disk diagnostics from manufacturer (put onto a floppy)

Good Luck !

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Okay, how about disconnect the hd that is not for the os use. Then from there install the os and once it's running fine on windows then shut it down and connect the other hd and add it as an extra storage. Make sure you format the os hd first before installing the windows.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I`ve had same problem with a Seagate 160Gb S-ATA drive... and i found an hdd utilitary (old one with dos interface) on motherboard cd that write some bytes on hdd mbr that would allow it to work normaly. I had then Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard.

FredZ-Media

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
so your saying that you used a utility on the motherboard cd.

Also when i format the drive with no partitions and install windows after it finished installing files after it reboots it goes straight to the cd again instead of booting to the hard drive? i dont understand why it does this!

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
FredZ-Media :)

The Win install CD is only used for initially loading the needed files. Then, once all files have been loaded (installed) it reboots ... at that point simply open your CD drive and allow the "system" to boot from the HD, or interrupt the boot sequence and enter BIOS to reconfigure your boot sequence so that C: (default) or whatever HD you choose is queried before the CD.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Problem is that your BIOS doesn`t recognize correctly the drive for boot. It is something with drives bigger than 130gb. The disk must be prepared to allow booting and that i`ve done with that disk manager software. When i enter it it ask me if i want to write some bytes onto drive so it can boot correctly.