Klipsch 5.1 speakers compatible with X-Fi?

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Are these speakers compatible with the X-Fi Fatal1ty? The speakers only have a single digital input, and the X-Fi has a flexi-jack that can operate as a digital I/O to another amplifier. Are these compatible? So far these speakers seem the best for my room, and I wouldn't want to get some that can't actually plug into my computer :)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
2.1 , 5.1 or 7.1 are completely compatible with the XF-i. Use the digital I/O for the sorround sound. I have the 2.1 Klipsch Pro Media with XF-i and it sounds really nice especially in gaming. I'm sure the 5.1 would be twice as good. Good Luck.

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Cool, they're just perfect for my room, and I can still get them, even though they're discontinued. The Logitech Z-5500Ds that I was looking at were just too powerful for what I need, and I don't need a subwoofer that's half a metre long in my 10'x10' room.

Besides, the Klipsch look damn sexy ;)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
With that small room of yours I don't see you needing a super loud sound unless you're planning to blast your eardrums out. And lastly when you set up your speakers make sure to calibrate the distance between you and them speakers to get the best sorround and quality as much as possible. Also make sure the speakers are level to your head and mount them to the wall if you don't have the speaker stands. You can leave the bass on the floor and it would be fine like that. That set up will be nice during movies and gaming. Have fun.

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Thanks. Yeah, My computer's going to be pretty much centred along one wall, with the front satellites on the desk. The rear ones will be in corners behind me, one can sit on a bookshelf about midway up the wall, the other one I'm going to build a small platform in the wall for it. And you're right, I just want great quality 5.1 sound, but I don't need huge power I'll never use. The logitechs seem rediculous. And I'm not one for hugely thumping bass either, as I do live in a house with other people, and have old folk next door.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Just one final thing before you pull the trigger. You do realize this setup is not going to have surround sound for games right? Otherwise, your set for music and movies.

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Just one final thing before you pull the trigger. You do realize this setup is not going to have surround sound for games right? Otherwise, your set for music and movies.

OK, huge problem there.

Why not?

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

OK, huge problem there.

Why not?

Because those speakers you bought are marketed as console game speakers, which usually have a digital optical out.

PC speakers almost always use the 1/8" stereo mini plug. With digital you need something that can encode 7.1 discrete channels into a "wrapper" to pass it through the digital stream. Common types are dolby digital and DTS. X-Fi doesn't have this functionality. It can DECODE a DTS or Dolby Digital stream from a source like a DVD an send it off to your discrete analog outs. It can't ENCODE it and send it off to another lucky customer (the Klipsch decoder on the speakers in this case), as that's a significantly more amount of work. Unless you plan on getting a sound card that does do something like this (you are looking at a minimum $80 investment unless you break even with selling your X-Fi), or don't care about surround gaming, I would suggest not buying these speakers.

All these limited connectivity options...this is why I bought an AV receiver a LONG time ago. Flexibility is really nice. As for my speakers...well that's another story altogether, for another day.