difference between dual and single channel SATA II controlle

stackoverflow

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
Hello,

I am buying new motherboard MSI k8ngm2-fid.

It supports dual channel sata II controller, can I know what is the difference between dual and single channel sata II controller.

Also if I buy two HDDs and put them in RAID 0 will I get almost double the performance than a single hard disks?

rgds,
mandar

pat

Expert
Hello,

I am buying new motherboard MSI k8ngm2-fid.

It supports dual channel sata II controller, can I know what is the difference between dual and single channel sata II controller.

Also if I buy two HDDs and put them in RAID 0 will I get almost double the performance than a single hard disks?

rgds,
mandar

Yeah..great.. should you remember that this is the CPU forum... Post elsewhere!

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I've never seen the term "Dual Channel" being paired up with the SATA standard, unless you can provide a link stating so, I will have to suspect some kind of typo, brain fart or misunderstanding.

RAID-0 Stripping do improve the speed at which data is transfered to and from the disk array but don't expect a twofold increase in performance. Although you may get close to that figure in tasks where HDD bandwidth is a bottleneck, consider that a RAID-0 array will get a slightly worst seek time and latency compared to a single drive.

Furthermore, a RAID-0 array is about twice as likely to suffer complete loss of data due to the failure of one of the two HDDs. It is wise to regularly backup important data or store irreplaceable files on a 3rd HDD.

I consider the OS, games and apps as disposeable data as they can be reinstalled in less time than it takes to recover them from a backup, considering the frequent access those files see, they're on a RAID-0 array. I store my GF's extensive media library and artwork on a 3rd drive since my she would viciously slaughter me if a Bad Thing happened to her data.

BTW, any reason for chosing such a micro-ATX motherboard ? Unless you're building a small form factor 'rig, you would be better served by going for a full sized one.

stackoverflow

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
I've never seen the term "Dual Channel" being paired up with the SATA standard, unless you can provide a link stating so, I will have to suspect some kind of typo, brain fart or misunderstanding.

RAID-0 Stripping do improve the speed at which data is transfered to and from the disk array but don't expect a twofold increase in performance. Although you may get close to that figure in tasks where HDD bandwidth is a bottleneck, consider that a RAID-0 array will get a slightly worst seek time and latency compared to a single drive.

Furthermore, a RAID-0 array is about twice as likely to suffer complete loss of data due to the failure of one of the two HDDs. It is wise to regularly backup important data or store irreplaceable files on a 3rd HDD.

I consider the OS, games and apps as disposeable data as they can be reinstalled in less time than it takes to recover them from a backup, considering the frequent access those files see, they're on a RAID-0 array. I store my GF's extensive media library and artwork on a 3rd drive since my she would viciously slaughter me if a Bad Thing happened to her data.

BTW, any reason for chosing such a micro-ATX motherboard ? Unless you're building a small form factor 'rig, you would be better served by going for a full sized one.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry for posting this in this forum.

My tasks are simple office applications, visual studio .net, some databases, Audio video editing, browsing.
I thought of going for raid-0 because certain databases may get benefited from them as well as visual studio.
Besides I observed that Windows XP does lot of swapping and in that case raid-0 may be useful.
correct me if I am wrong.

The reason for going a micro atx board is

0. here in india m/b are GPU's are quite expensive.
1. I am not a gamer and my job will be more about software development.
2. I can save costs by not going for a GPU and sound card and it has on-board gigabit lan
3. I heard positive reports about this board MSI k8ngm2-fid.

Is there something wrong about motherboard and what benefits I may get by going for ATX boards?

Other config is A64 venice 3000+, 2G corsair value ram, 160 G HDD.

Please suggest if I am doing something wrong here.
I hope that this configuration will last for 2 years.

Rgds,