500 watt power supply doesn't fit motherboard

emg33

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I transfered a 500 watt power supply from my last build and wanted to use it with my asus a8n-mv csm mb.Didn't realize that this motherboard needs 500 watt but with a 24 pin connector. the one I transfered only has 20. This may sound like a crazy question, but is there any kind of an adaptor to make this fit?
Thanks for any help.
Elizabeth

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Just install it offset to one side, leaving the 4 pin plugs free.

It will only fit one way.

This is a supported method under the ATX standards.

The 20 to 24 pin converters do the same thing electronically anyway.

I'd also recommend replacing the PSU within 3 months with a 'real' 24-pin model.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Just install it offset to one side, leaving the 4 pin plugs free.

It will only fit one way.

This is a supported method under the ATX standards.

The 20 to 24 pin converters do the same thing electronically anyway.

I'd also recommend replacing the PSU within 3 months with a 'real' 24-pin model.

How did you come up with the 3 month figure?

bobbydamm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
Funny, My E M T6412 came with a 20 pin Bestec PSU connected to an MSI Xpress200 (M420-IL) 24 pin mobo, and when I connected the newer PSU I thought "What The Hell?" How did they get away with this? No wonder my machine is rebooting!!
That was until I went to the MSI website and downloaded a copy of the motherboard manual. It says that connecting the 20 pin to the 24 pin is OK. I went wit an upgrade because I could see tha 'OK' for everyday Joe @ the office who's PC sits on for years and they only do spreadsheets,
but if you pull MAJOR power from your PC running the latest and greatest boards and stuffing the bays to the max and loading every slot,
Yep, you are for sure going to need that 24 pin deal PSU because your going to need 'all lines open' to deliver the power needed to run that mammoth monster you've created.
Hope that answers a question.

Randy77

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
How did you come up with the 3 month figure?

That's probably about how long you can put up with the instability that most motherboards that require 24 pins will have when using a 20 pin power supply. :)

I know I didn't last a whole lot longer.