Sign in with
Your question

Help with parts I need

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2006 2:51:42 PM

I'm looking to build a computer sometime within the next few months and new to the whole scene so I don't know how stupid I might sound. I'm not looking for someone to pick all the components for it and everything but I have some specific questions about it that I would appreciate any help with.

I'm going to be hooking it up to an HDTV and using that as my monitor so I want to get a TV tuner for it. My question here is that since I'm assuming the cable box will be going through the tv tuner, am I going to always have to use the TV through the computer or can I split it or something so when I just wanna watch TV, I can use it alone like any other TV.

I will also be using it more for video editing than gaming but I would like to do both and be able to play new games for a while (i just found out I can't play Age of Empires 3). So How should I go about that in determining a video card? I'm thinking maybe an X800XT all in wonder, but would I be giving up too much when it comes to gaming. I don't know much about this so any help will be great. Thanks

Sorry for the title of the post I kinda changed my question around once I started typing

More about : parts

April 7, 2006 3:35:14 PM

Quote:
I'm looking to build a computer sometime within the next few months and new to the whole scene so I don't know how stupid I might sound. I'm not looking for someone to pick all the components for it and everything but I have some specific questions about it that I would appreciate any help with.

I'm going to be hooking it up to an HDTV and using that as my monitor so I want to get a TV tuner for it. My question here is that since I'm assuming the cable box will be going through the tv tuner, am I going to always have to use the TV through the computer or can I split it or something so when I just wanna watch TV, I can use it alone like any other TV.

I will also be using it more for video editing than gaming but I would like to do both and be able to play new games for a while (i just found out I can't play Age of Empires 3). So How should I go about that in determining a video card? I'm thinking maybe an X800XT all in wonder, but would I be giving up too much when it comes to gaming. I don't know much about this so any help will be great. Thanks

Sorry for the title of the post I kinda changed my question around once I started typing

You don't need a TV tuner just to watch TV on the HDTV and use it as your monitor. Most TVs has multiple inputs so you can watch TV or use your PC. Also using PIP you can do both.

Now, if you want to record TV on your PC a TV tuner would be a good idea. However, don't get an All in wonder card. They are great, but since they do EVERYTHING you are not going to find the performance you are looking for in games. Get something at x1800/x1900 or a 7900GT and a dedicated PCI TV tuner. This setup might be more expensive, but it will last you longer and let you play the lastest and greatst games.
April 7, 2006 3:48:14 PM

Thanks I was looking at the 7900GT i just didn' t know if it would be a smart choice for what I want. 1 more question. I did plan on getting the tv tuner for the purpose of recording but just so I'm thinking on the right track is this how it will hook up.

Cable box input to TV tuner - TV tuner dvi output into TV. 7900gt s video out into TV?

Thanks
Related resources
April 7, 2006 4:56:29 PM

An S-video out connection to the TV will give you pretty bad quality. Does the video card have a DVI output?
April 7, 2006 5:02:27 PM

If your looking to do any video the x1xxx are the best. They have a theater chip to do the avivo stuff and ATI has the best play back.
As far as I know theres no diff in gaming with a A-I-W, they just slap a tuner on. The gpu and everything else is the same. I've owned two and they bench the same as the standered cards. The thing you have to look for is the ram, some of the A-I-w have slowwer ram. The x1800xlaiw are a good deal http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... . Get at least 2gb of ram and dualcore cpu if you can.
!