removed mem, reinstalled, now get disk boot failure error

sarahm

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Help. I took the memory out of the pc, which is running windows 95, to look at, put right back in. and now when I boot it up it tells me disk boot failure, insert system disk. I put in the system disk and nothing happens. Any idea what is going on? I am a computer technician, but this has me stumped, I have never run across this before. Thanks.

Sarah

mpjesse

Splendid
Are you sure you're a computer technician?

Go into the BIOS and make sure it sees the hard drive. If it doesn't, run the auto-detect and see if it'll come up. It sounds like the BIOS lost it's boot sequence settings- so check those.

-mpjesse

baboy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Computer technician?
Yeah.
You may have wiped out your mbr.
You may have accidentally disconnected ide cable or Molex connector.
You may have caused a surge to the board and cleared the cmos and as other person mention lost drive parameters as far as boot order.
Might want to try to boot from a win95 system disk and see if you can see the hard drive.
If you can try to write the mbr again. Which you should know how to do if computer technician. If not be honest and I will help you with that. If no system disk is found when you run fdisk then you have a hardware problem either in your bios settings or in your components. Hard drive/cable,power/controller etc. Good luck.

which version of windows 95 or you using?

Tron014

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
did it boot and say searching for media a

if so the memory has not been put back in correct or you have damaged the memory module whem you took it out.,, if you have more than 1 stick of memory in your machine take one out and try rebooting if it still does not boot take out the mem and place it in the other slot then reboot, if you still can not get the machine to boot change over the mem and do it all again, thats the first way to see if the mem is damaged or weather you have not seated it correcly on the board.

Krull

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
insert windows installation cd and go to system console for restore system. wen you load the comand prompt type "FIXBOOT" and follow the instructions. think that this will solbe the problem (maybe not)