Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Is it me, or is the computer on this game extremely hard. I haven't played for very long, but I noticed their AI is very high. Takes me a few hours to battle.

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(4) 512MB XMS CORSAIR PC3200 400 MHZ
BFG 6800 GEFORCE ULTRA OC (AGP)
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

riser

Illustrious
Must be you... :)

How well do you do in multiplayer? The computer can be tough at times, but the AI was designed to play like another person and not like the olden days.

It took some time to get good at beating the computer, but once you figure out how they play, it's easier to beat.

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
I beat the living hell out of the computer! It just takes time to learn the game.

Learn to use your hero in battle! Your hero is the key.

Do not make the same type of units! Mix it up and make sure to upgrade their weapons.

Good combos are:

Knights and Birds
Shooters and casters/seige

Bears and Dryads
Chims and hipps or the crow things

Spiders and necs
Frost and gargs

Those are some of the combos that I use online.

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
yeah I figured, but i haven't played long I'll try to get a strategy.

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Cool I'll try that. Thanks

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

riser

Illustrious
Heros ruined the game.. they were way too powerful.. they shouldn't have been that strong.. all too often I've played only to lose an entire army and a hero to one decked out hero.. too often I've seen people win games just by getting their 3 heros and not use an army..

I wish they would have toned them back about 50%.. then it would have made regular units a little more valuable.. more so than fodder to get your hero away.

I've never known more people to stop playing or dislike a game as much as W3 because of that... the game was awesome until they heros were figured out..

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
yeah I noticed they have a bigger advantage. So far they are helping me out like crazy against the comnp. I see your view as true.

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

riser

Illustrious
Wait until you play another person who knows what they're doing.. Orc tower rushes with the hero.. or starfall with the night elves.. The Humans are the only group that really don't get a major advantage.. but don't worry, humans are capable of ripping apart anyone..

Orcs generally attack using their towers, heros, and grunts. Grunts are really strong.. so they're good cheap fodder while the towers and heros do the work.

NE's are tricky.. they're not hard to beat but when that starfalls comes into play.. if you're caught unaware, kiss your entire army goodbye.

Humans can make mass amounts of soldiers.. not strong, but they can produce an army.. the key is to go all or nothing with them.. all rifles, all armor, all air. pick one, go with it, upgrade something else.

Start with all Rifles.. upgrade to the max, then upgrade all armor, go all knights. Humans are hard to adapt to fight against if you play them.

I liked playing Humans.. I had a high win ratio.. Orcs were the worst to go against because of their speed, HP and strength. But they're slow to make, but those towers make them the best race in the long run. NE in the short run.. Humans in the mid.

silly_rabbit

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
reading your post something tells me that you're too used to starcraft.
the thing about WC3 is all about controlling your units and trying to keep your hero alive.
sorry to say this, but NE starfall is worthless since there are so many ways to counter it.
(besides, how often do you really get your hero up to lvl 6 in a game?)

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
My hero are usually leveled to 10 by the time im done. Lately. I have networked with GF, and we play together against comp 2v2. Starcraft is primitive, and can not be compared to anything anymore.

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

riser

Illustrious
I never really played Starcraft at all..
And I rarely played games longer than 25 minutes and always got my hero up to lvl 6.
You use your units as fodder to keep your hero alive.
Starfall can be countered.. but if you get caught off guard and without a hero, you're chances of getting out without a big loss are slim. Chances are, you'll keep most of your units alive, but they'll all be 50% or less of health.

Heros are too strong. They should have been double HP, maybe hit 25% harder or something. I've been beat too many times by people with 3 heros and nothing else.. mainly from the Orcs using their towers and the like. I wasn't a bad player by any means...
but when I joined a game and the first thing the guy says to me is "hihi" i knew I was playing some guy from Taiwan who was going to beat me in 10 minutes.

The key was to send your hero out alone to take down monsters and lvl up, followed by a peasant/wisp/etc to a gold mine that was cleared out.

If you've ever watched any major tournament, both players do the exact same thing.. it's just a matter of luck.. who loses the first units to give the other an advantage, who makes the first small mistake, who gets caught off guard when attacking monsters and getting attacked by the other playing doing the same.. but once the hero's hit a high lvl.. the nothing mattered but those heros..

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
i see..very intersting....yes gooks seem to play much better.....They have this part of there brain that propels them in games....Something we don't have unfortunately

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Man you people are noobs! All the races are equal. You just have to learn how to use them. If your hero possesses a low level then you just might better creep around with some units. Level up your hero! Get items for your hero without buying them at a shop.

If you get beat by three heros. Your a freaking idiot! A complete freaking idiot! I cannot state how much of an idiot you are! What the hell is wrong with you? Did momma drop you on your head when you were a child?

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
What are you talking about?

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

riser

Illustrious
Yes, you're brilliant! As we talk about how heros are too over powered and ruined the game, you come by and say how the whole way to beat the game is with your hero.

Brilliant.. idiotic brilliance. This thread should be a sticky and dedicated to an "Honorary Idiots of THG Forums."

3 high level heros, used together can basically wipe out most armies, especially with the orcs and using towers.

The whole point of the game was using your hero as the army and using the units as fodder to protect your hero. Many a times have a played where I'm fighting and 3 lvl 8-10 heros come running in to wipe me out.. espeically when you're attacking the NE and inbetween buildings you get slammed by starfall while their army is blocking a fast escape.. or when you're fighting the orcs and they put up towers everywhere and block you in with their army of fodder while they put up towers everywhere..

even if you live through all that, your army is hurt making it easy for heros to easily pick off your army.

Again, you're an idiot. That's why probably 50% of the people who started off playing W3 no longer play. It wasn't fun.. and I hear WoW is going downhill.

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
I've been using them to head a small/large group usually (well actually there in behind my group), and help with some magic to help the onslaught. For me their the first to get killed. So i'm usually protecting him from getting killed to keep him alive for the heavy guns.

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

riser

Illustrious
Most people will send in their army.. and use the Hero's special attacks or items to take out the enemy.. starfall works best when you corner or trap the enemy against something.. it'll wipe an enemy out if you catch them in town and have your army fighting theirs.. they can't run away.

At low levels, your hero will die if you fight with him.. once you level him up by crittering.. buy items from the stores if you can.. money is the key.. get your 2nd mine asap and you'll do good.

The only times my heros would die is when I was going to lose.. normally I can keep my hero alive.. I prefer humans with the paladin first, then mage/mountain king.

The paladin can heal others, plus add defense and resurrect. He's had to kill when used right.. plenty of times I've used him to take out the enemy by using his devotional aura .. and i've saved him just as often when in a tight space.

The biggest thing is to know how your enemy is going to play.. you want to level your hero up, and catch the enemy's army while they're out getting critters. They'll probably teleport out if you do good.. then you know they don't have an easy out if they attack you, so you can travel the map freely knowing that they can't get away and they'll stay away from you..

at that point, it's good to wait a little bit, let him build the army up, go back out for critters then attack his base.. he won't have his teleport to get back to defend.. so you can hurt him.. if he attacks you, you can either teleport back or destroy most of his base then teleport in and take him out since he won't have the option.

Certain heroes should be used first.. they should be one of the first units you get...

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
I see...Hm. I beleive I have tried similar techniques. Me and my GF play on same team usually against two comps. We use random also. I work well with the undead....she on the other hand...uhhhh shes ok.....lol

ASUS A8V DELUXE
PLEXTOR PX-716SA
AMD 64 +3200
(2) 74GB RAPTORS
(1) WD 120GB
Tsunami Dream Case

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
It takes time to start winning online. Play on teams of three or more and watch how people build and why. Watch what they do. Read what they have to say. Interact with them. I probably lost my first 10 games until I started to win consistently.

Never send in your hero first. The other players will just sit back and nail your hero with their powers. I usually play my hero on the edge. Rarely do I pick meele heros. They tend to get wacked the fastest.

riser

Illustrious
You can download saved games and watch how other people play.. in that tournament last year you could down load their final game and watch the two best play.. the one guy ended up winning some car.. watch and you'll learn..

silly_rabbit

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
Well..I'm sorry to say this but people don't play Warcraf3 no more is because they are newbies and doesn't want to learn...

There is no such thing as "Hero over powered" or "Bad Race"
there are only "newbs" and "people who know how to play"

"Heros ruined the game.. they were way too powerful.. they shouldn't have been that strong.. all too often I've played only to lose an entire army and a hero to one decked out hero.. too often I've seen people win games just by getting their 3 heros and not use an army.. "
Yes, if you use 3 heros and use their skills as a the combo it can be really strong (let me guess, Undead?).
BUT, 3 heros are only strong when you get them to high level. 3 heros all below lvl 3 is just a joke.
EXP splits between heros, so the more hero you get the harder for them to level up.
You shouldn't be complaining about how strong their heros are, and how unfair.
You should questioning yourself how did you allow them to grow so strong.

"Starfall can be countered.. but if you get caught off guard and without a hero, you're chances of getting out without a big loss are slim. Chances are, you'll keep most of your units alive, but they'll all be 50% or less of health."
Speaking of starfall. You don't lose becuase starfall is too strong.
you lose is just because you don't know how to play the game.
why would you try to fight your enemy when your hero is dead but your opponent’s still alive?
the only time starfall will ever work is at the very end of the game
where 1)the opposing teams' hero who can counter is dead.
2) at enemy town when their hero is elsewhere.
if in an open field battle, your enemy uses starfall, you cant counter it and you didn't teleport nor make a run
YOU ARE A NEWB! you deserve to lose

"If you've ever watched any major tournament, both players do the exact same thing.. it's just a matter of luck.. who loses the first units to give the other an advantage, who makes the first small mistake, who gets caught off guard when attacking monsters and getting attacked by the other playing doing the same.. but once the hero's hit a high lvl.. nothing mattered but those heros.."
Luck? maybe a little, but mostly experience and skill.
A good player who knows the map can guess when his opponent is going to clear which mobs.
If we have the same troops I made the first kill but you can't make one. I call that owned, not luck.

"3 high level heros, used together can basically wipe out most armies, especially with the orcs and using towers.

The whole point of the game was using your hero as the army and using the units as fodder to protect your hero. Many a times have a played where I'm fighting and 3 lvl 8-10 heros come running in to wipe me out.. espeically when you're attacking the NE and inbetween buildings you get slammed by starfall while their army is blocking a fast escape.. or when you're fighting the orcs and they put up towers everywhere and block you in with their army of fodder while they put up towers everywhere.."
Tower rushes? Nothing you can do but scout more. HOWEVER,
I still can figure out how you get to the point that your enemy got 3 lvl 8-10 heros.
to be able to get 3 heros you need to ugrade your townhall.
each hero cost gold, lumber and food. That means before their hero level up.
you got an advantage on the resource, therefore more troops than the other player.
HOW THE HELL DID YOU NOT FINISH HIM OFF and get your army killed?
and what kind of army is this? army of footmans or archers?

"The biggest thing is to know how your enemy is going to play.. you want to level your hero up, and catch the enemy's army while they're out getting critters. They'll probably teleport out if you do good.. then you know they don't have an easy out if they attack you, so you can travel the map freely knowing that they can't get away and they'll stay away from you.."
scout well and always make counter troops to fight your enemy is the way to win. Can't argue with that.

silly_rabbit

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
Never send in your hero first. The other players will just sit back and nail your hero with their powers. I usually play my hero on the edge. Rarely do I pick meele heros. They tend to get wacked the fastest.
actually, meele heros can be really effective if you know how to use items.
Most players likes to attack heros first to force you TP or...eh...kill your hero. =P
So, if you use meele heros like mountain king, dark knight, crip lord who have better defence and higher HP.
equip them with healing potion, teleport, Potion of Lesser Invulnerability
chances are, your enemy will go after your hero. At this time you just control your troops
to kill off his troops. When your hero about to die just use the potions or TP home.
you used items, but you get to kill your enemy's troops and get exp from it.
On the other hand, your enemy gets nothing.
Sounds like a good deal, doesn't it?

riser

Illustrious
Ok, before you bother posting again, read the whole thread.

Most of my games I've played I've been able to get 2 heros up to at least lvl 6. It's not really that hard to do. Even if you watch the good player's saved games, they get their heros up.

When you're playing 2vs2, it's really easy to lvl your heros.

Now, you sit there and use Newb/Noob a lot.. but in reading your post.. you've made 2 categories for those who play.

You have 1) The Newb/Noob - The person who doesn't play that much and doesn't sit around studying constantly learning each map, the ins/outs and such so they can have the best chance at winning.

2) the studied player - the person who invests over 20 hours a week playing, learning strats and such, drinks mountain dew and sits in the basement gaming all day with no intention of getting a job or learning something valuable in their life. - A little over the top, but you get my point.

noob vs noob, good game. skilled vs skilled, either good or boring.

Personally, playing against a noob has to be more fun because they're unpredictable. Skilled people are very predictable and makes the game boring. Same thing, over and over. No changes.

I won over 50% of the games I played.. which I think was 400 games or something. I didn't play that much, so in your classification, I was a newb. But I probably had more fun playing than the skilled person who was just doing the same routine to win.

I used to play EA Games 199x NHL game.. I'd crush the computer over and over doing the exact same move and shot combo.. 20-0 every game. it got boring because it was the same thing over and over.

See where I'm going with this? at least with a noob, they're more fun to play against.

Now, starfall for example.. if i'm 30 minutes into a game, teleported out, rushed back in for some reason and didn't stop to shop and I think I have them beat and in the last second their hero comes out, I'm trapped in the town, it hits.. weakens all my guys.. it's supposed to happen.. starfall is powerful if used at the right time.. everything in the game is counterable and balanced.. balanced at certain levels I should say.

The last time I played.. humans did nothing but make sorcs/priests, heros and a few things for the army.. that was it.. how boring to keep playing the same game over and over against a person who only wanted to win? I want to have fun moreso than win.

That's the games flaw. Everyone would rather win than have fun. Sounds stupid, who wouldn't want to win? I'd rather lose and say good game after having fun than lose to someone in 9 minutes when they keep rushing with stuff. How fun is that?

I guess I look at a game for entertainment and fun and not 'feeling good because I can beat everyone doing the same thing over.'

Yeah yeah, learn the game to learn how to beat each thing.. I learned a lot of strats in the game and did well, but it got boring. Too linear in a non-linear game.

And that's why a lot of people stopped playing.. you had the people who did the same thing over and over just to win.. and those who wanted to have fun and try different things.. always lost to the person doing the same crap over.. so why bother playing/stooping to the boring lvl?

The game is good.. I liked it.. just the community ruined the game by being more concerned over winning than having fun.

I like WC and WC2 because a game would last 90 minutes to 4 hours.. it was really balanced and the fighting rolled.

In WC3, if you get into a major battle, minus teleport, and lose a good portion of your army, the game is over.. it all comes down to one pivitol battle. WC1/2.. you could lose that battle and come back to win.

Wc3 was designed for quick games.. under 30 minutes.. average of about 20-23 minutes for most of my games.. some went 10 minutes, some went 1 hour.. normally around 20 minutes though.

silly_rabbit

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
I don't know what to say becuase it seems like we have differnet experiance.
Most of the 2v2 games I've played last around 25 minutes and I bearly even get 1 hero to lvl 6.

I've been playing on bnet US west for a while but I never felt
how boring to keep playing the same game over and over against a person who only wanted to win? I want to have fun moreso than win.
There are lots of different players out there using different races differnet tatics.
Me myself hate using the same play everytime so I use random race all the time.
Using random race, playing differnt players, using different tatics.
I dont see myself "doing the same thing over and over again"
Maybe you should try using random race too.
humans did nothing but make sorcs/priests, heros and a few things for the army
so what? Couter it.
build some cannons/siege weapons and blow the crap out of them, and yell out "THAT'S WHAT YOU GET!"
I'd rather lose and say good game after having fun than lose to someone in 9 minutes when they keep rushing with stuff. How fun is that?
My friend who suck at WC3 always says :"I'm playing WC3 to have fun"
and I always reply with:"If you are having fun playing it, would it be more enjoyable if you win rather than lose?"
You think people keep rushing with stuff and finish the game in 9 minutes is not considered a "good game"?
or is it just because YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT to make it a good game?

as for starfall...
is it STARFALL IS TOO STRONG or OOPS I MADE A MISTAKE, RUSHED IN THEIR BASE TOO DEEP WITHOUT A TP?

well....WC3 is the first RTS game I ever really focused on playing and I got pretty decent with it.
So I guess I can get more used to the hero system than people who played other RTS games...