What is Ghosting????

G

When you play a game for example.

Let's say you are getting 60fps. Which is good.
If you have an LCD display and as u move or race you will notice the surrounding walls or cars or trees if you are racing blurring. On the regular CRT screen this does not happen.

1. In order to avoid ghosting. Choose an LCD with a low typical responce time. Usually less than 30.

2. Turn on all the details to the highest level on the video card to help lower the fps to around 40 or 45 this will give you great graphics and should lower the blurring to un noticable levels.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
NVGTS is correct. However there is another form of ghosting in an LCD. In a static image small shadows to the right or left of characters for example.

Extension cables, switchboxes and KVM switches are notorious for causing ghosting or streaking on the screen. This is almost always due to an impedance mismatch at the cable connection to the extension cable or switchbox.

Other likely sources are:

Video line filtering on your video card
Poor video amp response in the monitor
Poor Video cable

The LCD panel itself can cause this phenomenon. The cells are laid out in a matrix. Stray capacitance (Cross talk)from a row or column can influence the row or column next to it. The pixels in the row or column being influenced turn on slightly creating a gray row or column. Older LCD panels and projectors suffered from this more than modern day panels. In fact the new MVA panels has almost entirely eliminated this affect.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
thanks goSharks, you answered my question, I was referring to the LCD Ghosting,Forget to specify which ghosting i ment, thanks for the answer, i was reading reviews about a monitor i was thinking about getting the VG191, and guy said there was a problem with it, it had a GHOSTING problem, just wanted to know what it was..

Thanks/Rob

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!