Cox cable and wireless router, what to get?

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Hello! Baby!

We are about to get Cox cable (live in AZ), and want to have 3 computers connected via a wireless network to the cable.

One option we are looking at is the Motorola SBG1000, which is a cable modem wireless router combo (801.11b).

The other option we are looking at would be a Motorola Surfboard modem paired with a wireless router, such as a Linksys WRT54G or DLink DI614+.

If we get a modem and router seperate, the router should be 54mb/s compatable, and we will get wireless 54g pci cards for all 3 computers connected.

A question: if i get a 54g wireless pci card, would it work with a 801.11b router? Also if i get a 54g wireless router, would it work with a 801.11b pci card? I think theyre backwards compatable...

If we get 54g pci cards, which ones should we get.
So far i have looked at Belkins and Linksys wireless G cards, which are 80 and 60 dollars a piece respectively, on www.pricegrabber.com

If you know of a better site to purchase networking equiptment, please tell me.

Ive read of distance problems with wireless routers (801.11b and 54g alike), espcially with the Linksys WRT54G (often mentioned in reviews)
It says that after 25ft, performance will be dropped to 30%.
There is no signal booster for the WRT54G currently, nor would we like to pay the additional money for one in the first place.

This router/ modem/router combo will be in the middle of our house, with one computer right next to it, and 2 others about 20-25ft away on either side.
What router/pci card combo would yield the best signal integrity etc.?

Lots of questions I know, but im new to wireless networking and want to get a good setup, and am trying to keep the price down also.

TY in advance for all responses.

Long live ATI.

One question.
Are you transfering large files from computer to computer? Most internet connections do not excede 2mb downloads, so a 11mb 802.11b wireless is more than you need for internet.

If not then the 802.11b is the way to go . it has a much longer distance of coverage. I have a BEFW11S44 that connects to a USBv2.5 at about 500ft between a window in my home to a window in my sons home. I also have a pair of WAP11s that connect about 700ft. through the woods to my wifes sisters home. these are set up in windows also.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Well, yes 2 of the computers will be doing file sharing, but not alot. Plus there will be a printer on the network, but that obviously wouldnt need much bandwidth.

11mb/s should be ok, plus I could always use an ethernet cable and do 100mb/s for large files.
54g isnt really neccessary I guess, but the price difference wasn't to much, so I thought it might be more futureproof because its faster.

Plus if you say 801.11b can travel longer distances then that is important, so 801.11b sounds like it should be fine.

There are 801.11b signal boosters that I might look into also.

What is the best 801.11b pci card?

I read that with a certain card and the signal booster it can work at like up to 1500 ft. But thats probly WAY optimistic.

Long live ATI.

I havent used any wireless pci cards yet. The system I have was bought for spicific reasons. Long distance connections and antenna placement.
My wireless goes to 3 seperate homes and 2 have their own wired network . This gives me 100mb full doplex in each home and then shared by a 11mb wireless system.

802.11b can easily reach 10 miles if line of site is available. Of course you would need a 19 to 24 db(A) gain directional antenna on each end. But these can be had reasonably priced now.

I would sugest a omni-directional antenna on the AP or AP/Router in your situation.
The antenna and placement is much more critical than booster strength .

I aint signing nothing!!!

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I would not get the one with the wireless built in. If you decide to go with DSL, which requires another receiver, you would end up getting another router anyways.

scottkli

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2003
How long do you see yourself staying at your current location?

Do you own your home or place of stay?

If so I would go for a wired network with Cat6 cabiling and a gigabit network. Yea its a pain to run wires, but it saves in the long run and can be a plus when reselling a house.

Now if your using a series of laptops or mobile computing devices then I would go 802.11 a/b/g. This will allow the necessary devices that you use connect in the most effecient way. Computer using g, Mobile devices using a or b.

Currently I have Cat6 $50 per 100feet with a Linksys Gigabit EG008W switch $180 for wired networking, and a Linksys WRT55AG A/B/G wireless router $250 for sharing internet connection through Cox Kansas.
This is used in conjunction with:
5 Laptops [802.11g] Linksys WPC55AG $100
3 PDA's [802.11b] Cisco Aironet 350 $135
5 Desktop Computers [10/100/1000] Linksys EG1064 $85