using a 8X agp vga card on a 2X/4X agp motherboard

Noor

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
can i use a 8X agp vga card on a 2X/4X agp motherboard and why is that not possible?
you see i have a friend who has an gigabyt motherboard m/n GA8SIMLH
and in the manual book it says it works with 2X and 4X

JavanBuddhi

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I'm ot sure if an 8x card wil run in a 4x slot, but if it will, as Prozac says, You will have to run it at 4x bus speed rather than 8x. However this doesn't make much of a difference. I run my 9600xt at 4x and I see no difference.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yeah even the "slow" 4X bus is not saturated... makes me wonder why people think AGP is teh sux lol I know everything is going to PCIe but when AGP was new you could get realy good PCI cards for a looong time and in fact you can still get decent PCI video cards. I think they are just trying to force an upgrade and since ATI and Nvidia make chipsets now... I wonder how long untill PCIe is replaced ?

zachsm

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Yeah even the "slow" 4X bus is not saturated... makes me wonder why people think AGP is teh sux lol I know everything is going to PCIe but when AGP was new you could get realy good PCI cards for a looong time and in fact you can still get decent PCI video cards. I think they are just trying to force an upgrade and since ATI and Nvidia make chipsets now... I wonder how long untill PCIe is replaced ?

The highest PCI card I have seen is 6200. i wouldn't be suprised if it could go higher than that.