Intel Sinks $40 Million in 10 Tech Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]winterlude[/nom]Intel bought these companies to support their Ultrabook ecosystem.[/citation]

Dude... they didn't "buy" these companies, they invested in them...

Kids these days...

winterlude

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Thank you for your correction. I should have written "invested" rather than "bought," but my point remains the same about Intel's intentions.

Also, I am not a "kid." And since you referred to me as "dude," I suspect that I am older than you are. Let's just keep the discussion about tech and leave the insults and derision at the door.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]winterlude[/nom]Thank you for your correction. I should have written "invested" rather than "bought," but my point remains the same about Intel's intentions.Also, I am not a "kid." And since you referred to me as "dude," I suspect that I am older than you are. Let's just keep the discussion about tech and leave the insults and derision at the door.[/citation]
Well, it did say the following:-
typically places its investments strategically to support its core businesses and support an increase in chip sales
Ultrabook is really just a formfactor, their core businesses and chip sales cover all form factors and this spread of investments represent investing in the industry, so even though supporting Ultrabooks would not be a bad thing, it isn't quite that narrow a focus

G

The Ultrabook ecosystem is allready populated by Apple, The ecosystem that I am waiting for is populated by regular laptops with 1 or 2 Thunderbolt ports, in anticipation of the other ecosystem of the expansion box! Yes that new animal, with its PCIe slots, that connects to my laptop through a thuderbolt snake, and gives my laptop desktop graphics, and other PCI type animals! Maybe a whole render farm Of Xeon Phi animals for Raytracing to complement the herds of Quadros, FirePros, Radeons, GeForces! But with Chipzilla obsessed with the ultrabook ecosystem, and King Kong (Apple) the leader of that ecosystem, the
expansion box ecosystem may have to wait.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
So when they gonna invest a AI company or a game company to push their CPU usage?

We are still missing a smart Operating system with an assistant. 6 cores CPU are useless to casual here, a very smart assistant will be a great boost for casual to return to desktop.

G

Thin and light, the ultrabook, sales did not go through the roof for you Mr ultrabook, Oh Intel your marketing folks so want to be Apple, but they can not be, You do not have your own operating sytem, you make the fastest CPUs, but your GPUs oh my. Apple makes much more money than you, selling ipads and iphones, but you still make the fastest CPU, But Apple makes a killing selling laptops with your low power chips in them, but Apple may be switching to something more homegrown in the future! but Intel you do not controll your own operating system, that is Microsofts baby to run into the ditch. Intel you will not be inside everywhere, but you do have the fastest CPUs. You do no build your own computers! Apple seems to know that most folks do not need all that CPU power and high end cost, Apple with so much more market CAP than you selling their gegaws and gadgets of ARM derived! AMD will survive selling budget laptops with better graphics, but Intel you make the fastest CPU that is to costly to buy!

G

$1400.00 for an ultrabook, Intel this costs more than an Apple, damn! gitting close to a full size macbook pro! Intel stick to supplying CPUs, and step away from those OEM's. Supply them with thunderbolt controllers and such, but step away from laptop design. Your attempt at out Apple, Apple has not worked out so well! I hope and pray that Apple developes a CPU to use in their comuters in house! Your CPUs will sell to those that need to have the fastest, but for gaming the GPUs and APUs will play games just fine! Intel were the hell are all the thunderbolt ports in windows laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.