Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mediocre Performance or unrealistic expectation?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 7, 2006 8:54:18 PM

I recently put together a new PC. It chewed up Fable, Black and White 2, Guild Wars and Half Life 2.

However, it kinda chokes on Oblivion from time to time when outdoors (10-15 FPS, but 40-100 indoors) and now its chugging on Tomb Raider Legends.

My specs:
AMD 64 X2 4200+
EVGA GF 7800GT
A8N-E NF4 ULTRA
1GBx2 OCZ PC3200 RAM Dual Channel
10,000 RPM 74GB SATA Raptor
ROSEWILL 550w PSU

This SHOULD be able to run just about any game with everything cranked, right? All the drivers are as up to date as I can make them.

Having a dual monitor setup wouldn't affect anything would it?
April 7, 2006 9:06:10 PM

Quote:
I recently put together a new PC. It chewed up Fable, Black and White 2, Guild Wars and Half Life 2.

However, it kinda chokes on Oblivion from time to time when outdoors (10-15 FPS, but 40-100 indoors) and now its chugging on Tomb Raider Legends.

My specs:
AMD 64 X2 4200+
EVGA GF 7800GT
A8N-E NF4 ULTRA
1GBx2 OCZ PC3200 RAM Dual Channel
10,000 RPM 74GB SATA Raptor
ROSEWILL 550w PSU

This SHOULD be able to run just about any game with everything cranked, right? All the drivers are as up to date as I can make them.

Having a dual monitor setup wouldn't affect anything would it?


Your problem is Oblivion probably on max settings is using more than 1GB of RAM, and you are ending up in VM. Upgrade your RAM to 2GB. Also quit all other appllication and services that are not required before running the game. When the plug it 2 monitors, it depends on the card, but most split the VRAM 50/50 as in each port gets 128MB of video RAM for it.
April 7, 2006 9:50:02 PM

he has 1gb 2x, doesnt that mean 2gb or was he just lazy and didnt wanna write x2 512 :p ... but i dont think thats the problem... i have a 7800gs (which isnt THAT much slower than a 7800gt) and its sluggish on higher settings at 1280x1024, that game i incredably demanding. dont expect to play on highest at a higher res without sli, u wont get decent fps... as for tomb raider, never seen what it looks like... black and white 2 top cards can only manage like 50fps average on max settings, gw if u have a problem running that game then somthing is wrong... hl2 u should be able to run totally maxxed out and keep over 60 fps... (i dont run with AA AF on to keep fps over 100, slowdown in gunfights sucks...)

in oblivion i get similar effects, but not as bad because its not on max... i average 30-45 outdoors and dun indoors since its over 60 i dont care :p ... id say lower settings a little, dont expect a single 7800gt to run maxxed out, it cant. overclocking will improve fps a little... get an aftermarket cooler for great overclocking results... that may help boost fps 10%
Related resources
April 7, 2006 10:02:35 PM

I do have 2GB of ram. The only program I have running when playing games is Zone Alarm Pro (firewall). However, are you saying that dual monitors do indeed impact performance?

TRL runs great with the 'Next gen effects' turned off, but it looks so much better with them on, its just unplayable. My machine is pretty high quality, top 85% for sure and it still can't run the game well... Does that imply i have something set wrong or that edios just doesn't know how to code well?

Quote:
I recently put together a new PC. It chewed up Fable, Black and White 2, Guild Wars and Half Life 2.

However, it kinda chokes on Oblivion from time to time when outdoors (10-15 FPS, but 40-100 indoors) and now its chugging on Tomb Raider Legends.

My specs:
AMD 64 X2 4200+
EVGA GF 7800GT
A8N-E NF4 ULTRA
1GBx2 OCZ PC3200 RAM Dual Channel
10,000 RPM 74GB SATA Raptor
ROSEWILL 550w PSU

This SHOULD be able to run just about any game with everything cranked, right? All the drivers are as up to date as I can make them.

Having a dual monitor setup wouldn't affect anything would it?


Your problem is Oblivion probably on max settings is using more than 1GB of RAM, and you are ending up in VM. Upgrade your RAM to 2GB. Also quit all other appllication and services that are not required before running the game. When the plug it 2 monitors, it depends on the card, but most split the VRAM 50/50 as in each port gets 128MB of video RAM for it.
April 7, 2006 10:26:38 PM

Hmmm... I lowered the Resolution in TRL to 1280x1024. The framerate is pretty high, but it studders from time to time. Isn't this an issue with dual core CPUs? I'll investigate it more.
April 7, 2006 10:40:52 PM

turn off the firewall and see if u get an improvement... i duno much about them but if its anything like norton its causing ur comp to run like 60% of its normal speed... also try running just one monitor and see what ur fps are... i duno why ud use 2 monitors for gaming... but whatever.. u could game on 1 monitor and have ur desktop on the other, IMO thatd be more ideal... but its preference...
April 8, 2006 12:14:00 AM

Quote:
turn off the firewall and see if u get an improvement... i duno much about them but if its anything like norton its causing ur comp to run like 60% of its normal speed... also try running just one monitor and see what ur fps are... i duno why ud use 2 monitors for gaming... but whatever.. u could game on 1 monitor and have ur desktop on the other, IMO thatd be more ideal... but its preference...


That is how I have it set up... When I play games the second one just sits there with my desktop up. However, when I'm using paintshop or any other 12 programs at once its nice to have a 21" widescreen and a standard 19".
April 8, 2006 12:22:29 AM

Oops.. totally read that wrong :) 
April 8, 2006 12:22:49 AM

Quote:
Hmmm... I lowered the Resolution in TRL to 1280x1024. The framerate is pretty high, but it studders from time to time. Isn't this an issue with dual core CPUs? I'll investigate it more.


yes, there is an issue with dual core and some game. I think MS has a patch that actually prevent this kind of behaviour
April 8, 2006 1:14:13 AM

should run it pretty good. trying turning the settings down just a tad because oblvion is demanding
!