Sign in with
Your question

Please help!

Last response: in CPUs
April 7, 2006 9:10:53 PM

Hi people,

This might be old hat, but I'd really appreciate any help you can give.

Last night, when I went to plug my iPod into the built-in USB 2.0 port, the PC cut out. It's done this once or twice before, but it's not a common problem. Anyway, I tried to restart, but got nothing - no fans, no beeps, no flashing lights. I thought it may have been the PSU, but I tried mine on another comp and it worked fine.

The only action I get on plugging the comp in is the motherboard standby light coming on - apart from that, nothing happens.

Is it the motherboard, or is it more likely to be the CPU? Or is it something else? Is there any way I can test for this without buying new ones first?

The motherboard is an Asus P5P800 - I've disconnected all drives etc from the PSU.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

More about : question

April 7, 2006 9:19:02 PM

Wow... ur iPod fried your motherboard!

Try "clearing the BIOS" and see if you can get it to post. If that doesn't work, troubleshoot as best you can by using different RAM, video card, etc.

If none of that works then somehow that iPod fried that board. I've never heard of that... but there's a first time for everything I guess.

Sorry man.

-mpjesse
April 7, 2006 9:24:21 PM

Quote:
Wow... ur iPod fried your motherboard!

More ipod problems to the "ipod/itunes suck" from THG xDxD
Related resources
April 7, 2006 9:25:34 PM

Try mpjesse's advice first.
You might in addition try unplugging the USB connector (for the port you used) from the motherboard. If unplugging that USB connector allows you to post, you might consider adding a plug-in card or adapter to provide new USB ports instead, and not use the USB connector that has been giving you trouble.
April 7, 2006 9:39:32 PM

he said the standby light comes on... doesnt that mean that its working and somthing else failed? consult ur manual to see what the standby light means... if no fans turn on (ones directly attached to ur psu too, usually one is, and ur hd's are) see if ur hd spins up, listen/feel it to tell... if it doesnt its deff the psu. maybe u overloaded it or static shocked it from the ipod... if u can actualyl do that since usb is connected to the mobo... but either way if u get no action whatsoever by pushing the power button try plugging it into a diff wall outlet and if still absolutly nothing then its the psu, otherwise like jesse said "u ipod fried ur motherboard!"
April 7, 2006 9:49:15 PM

Quote:
Last night, when I went to plug my iPod into the built-in USB 2.0 port, the PC cut out. It's done this once or twice before, but it's not a common problem. Anyway, I tried to restart, but got nothing - no fans, no beeps, no flashing lights. I thought it may have been the PSU, but I tried mine on another comp and it worked fine.

Wait, its happened mroe than once? I think I would have been concerned right after the first time, but I guess thats why I bought a ZMP instead of a iPod.

The fans on the case should still work if the mobo is fried, so if the PSU fan isnt even turning on, then it might be your PSU. Just make sure the computer is actually plugged in, like the plug works and the power outlet works.
April 7, 2006 10:06:33 PM

There's no way the 5v coming off USB could have fried your PSU unless you're running it SUPER close to the edge.
April 7, 2006 10:28:25 PM

Sounds like the USB connection on the case is faulty.

Could it be possible the OP shorted out the power on/off switch?? Maybe they should try connecting the the power leads to the reset switch and see if the board will turn on from that? Or perhaps shorting out the power leads with a screwdriver to see if the board will power on.

I would also remove and replace the CMOS battery in addition to reseting the BIOS.

I do seem to remember a post a month or so ago along these lines, or along the lines that a certain type of case was known to have static issues which could cause havoc on boards.
April 7, 2006 10:37:53 PM

Only thought that runs through my mind, is if somehow, the current got grounded from the USB port, that would short the MB.

I'd try to look for burnt traces, blown/deformed capacitors as well.
April 7, 2006 10:38:30 PM

Quote:
You might in addition try unplugging the USB connector (for the port you used) from the motherboard.

I thought the same thing too, but he's using a USB port that's physically on the mobo.
April 7, 2006 11:10:00 PM

He said he tried the PSU in another machine and it worked.

That leads me to beleive that it is a MB failure (although it could still be the PSU if the machine he tried it on was drawing less).

Can you get into your BIOS.

For the poster that thought 5v could not do anything... If you were to do something as simple as taking a 1.5V AAA battery with two wires off each end and drag them accross the MB you could see very much how much damage you could do. PS.. People used to do things like this to kill their MB just b4 the warranty expires so they could request a replacement (this is difficult to detect). Alot of times they would be sent an upgrade since the old MB no longer existed (not condoning or promoting this behavior).
April 8, 2006 7:03:25 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the posts. I've tried a few things that have been suggested: disconnecting the USB, shorting the power switch, connecting the reset switch to the power connectors, resetting CMOS, using different plugs ans sockets. Still there's no sign of life, other than my trusty green LED standby light - flicking the power switch seems to do anything.

Another quick question - if the CPU is knackered, would this prevent the motherboard from powering up the case fans etc?
April 8, 2006 11:46:21 AM

Right, I think we're getting somewhere now. Replaced the motherboard, and the fans are now spinning on power-up, including the heatsink. At the moment, only the graphics card is connected, but there's still no display. Does this mean that my problem lies with the processor?

Cheers again
April 8, 2006 12:09:52 PM

Try to make it beep. Take the video card out and power up.

If it does not beep, take all memory out.

If it beeps with no memory, put one stick in, and reseat the video card.

Hopefully you do have an intergreated PC speaker.. or hook one up to be sure the bios is able notify of a problem. Or I guess the voice thingy might say something through the sound card if enabled.
!