Any Skype users here?

If yes...... how does it compare to some of the
alternatives?

What is your experience with Skype?

In message <<f7ahc09bb0trfab385j7jlfi5oemuarb0v@4ax.com>>
me6@privacy.net did ramble:

>If yes...... how does it compare to some of the
>alternatives?
>
>What is your experience with Skype?

Quality isn't quite as good as FWD-Vonage (A call originating on FWD,
but connected through the Vonage gateway)

Skype is pretty easy to set up and operate though, much more so then
FWD, so for non-technical users, this is the route I'd recommend.

--
Q. How many Microsoft technicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. Three. Two to hold the ladder and one to hammer the bulb into a faucet.

Juan wrote:
> Very good, excelent sound quality, better than SIP phones.
> Juan

What codec did you use to get such quality? Was it ILBC?

>Quality isn't quite as good as FWD-Vonage (A call originating on FWD,
>but connected through the Vonage gateway)

Dumb question on my part.... but what is FWD?

>Skype is pretty easy to set up and operate though, much more so then
>FWD, so for non-technical users, this is the route I'd recommend.

Good advice and than you!

I agree with you. It is so easy to use that even my non
techy brother could get Skype running and use it!!

Tell me tho..... is there ant merit buying one of those
USB boom/mics for it? Or are the cheap boom/mics you
use thru your sound card just fine?

I don't have a boom/mic and would like to buy one.
Hence the question abt them.

>Using 16 KBytes, you sure get good quality ;-)

Agreed!!

Another dumb question on my part....

but is there anyway to make Skype record a call when Im
not at my PC..... just like a phone answering machine
would on a reg phone?

Free World Dialup http://www.pulver.com/fwd

Juan wrote:

> Very good, excelent sound quality, better than SIP phones.
> Juan

Wht CoDec did U use and what is the up/down stream U get from using such a
CoDec? I have setup a VoIPBlaster, VB, (using fobbit's driver + software)
and can't atest skype quality is better than my VB, yet the up/down streams
are only 2/2KBps (16/16Kbps, a total of 32Kbps < 56Kbps dialup bandwidth).

--
root/administrator

me6@privacy.net wrote:

>>Skype is pretty easy to set up and operate though, much more so then
>>FWD, so for non-technical users, this is the route I'd recommend.
>
> Good advice and than you!
>
> I agree with you. It is so easy to use that even my non
> techy brother could get Skype running and use it!!
>
> Tell me tho..... is there ant merit buying one of those
> USB boom/mics for it? Or are the cheap boom/mics you
> use thru your sound card just fine?

Unless you want to be corded while talking through Skype, I would recommend
to find any audio/sound port -> RJ-11 conversion device to attach a
cordless phone and you will be able to mobile freely in your house within
the realm of your cordless phone (don't have to be sitting in-front-of your
computer while talking through Skype). I will be honest with anyone here
that sometimes I had to visit the john while talking through Skype without
any interference.

--
root/administrator

>Unless you want to be corded while talking through Skype, I would recommend
>to find any audio/sound port -> RJ-11 conversion device to attach a
>cordless phone and you will be able to mobile freely in your house within
>the realm of your cordless phone (don't have to be sitting in-front-of your
>computer while talking through Skype). I will be honest with anyone here
>that sometimes I had to visit the john while talking through Skype without
>any interference.

Good advice!

Any opinions on what such device to order?

And.....can I then use any cordless type phone such as
I would buy at say Walmart?