Sign in with
Your question

opteron 165 vr. athlon x2 3800+, which one should I buy?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 7, 2006 10:02:09 PM

I am gonna buy:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
a video card (still looking for one)

I am not sure which cpu I should buy, I would like you guys to tell me which is better for me opteron 165 or athlon x2 3800+?
I use my pc for games (doom 3, half life 2, battlefield2, cs source, +), photoshop cs 2, autocad 2006, autodesk inventor, recording dvds
which one is better for me?

I dont know how to overclock a cpu, but I may ask someone to do it for me if necessary,

ty all guys
April 7, 2006 10:06:55 PM

Go for the 165 Opty, based on your projected use, you'll benefit from the larger cache.

BTW, why have someone overclock for you when you can do it yourself and learn at the same time ?
April 7, 2006 10:53:16 PM

Quote:
Go for the 165 Opty, based on your projected use, you'll benefit from the larger cache.

BTW, why have someone overclock for you when you can do it yourself and learn at the same time ?

well guess I am going for a opteron, I took a look in all threads in this forum that people are talking about opteron 165, it seems a good processor

now talking about overclocks, how high in frequency you think I can get with a opteron 165?
talking about games, athlon x2 3800 much better than opteron or not that better?

ty man
Related resources
April 7, 2006 11:27:33 PM

The its not uncommon for an opty 165 to clock up to an FX-60. But every prossessor is differnet. you might get lucky and get it up to 3 GHZ or it might max at 2.6 or so. You can on stock easyly over clock the fsb 50mhz which is 450 mhz or 25% with no volting change ect. that also puts it at a 4200 or 4400 X2.
April 7, 2006 11:40:44 PM

ty for answering me guys
now talking about games, can I play 'heavy games' using opteron or this cpu is not good for games? cause it seems to me that opteron is good for 3d software, 3d animation, image edition, burning dvds and so on, what about games?
I will use a dfi motherboard, I am reading articles about overclock, I think I an gonna overclock it :p 
ty all
April 8, 2006 12:01:01 AM

a CPU is a CPU weather it be an opty or an Athlon if u got a good enough gfx card u can play any game the Opteron would run games better than the 3800X2
April 8, 2006 12:04:28 AM

Quote:
a CPU is a CPU weather it be an opty or an Athlon if u got a good enough gfx card u can play any game the Opteron would run games better than the 3800X2

well if opteron with an overclock can run games better than 3800 x2, I am 100% opteron :) 
April 8, 2006 1:09:18 AM

If you are going to overclock opty 165 is awesome. If not get the 3800. But you can get a opty to 4800 speeds
April 8, 2006 1:22:09 AM

Quote:
If you are going to overclock opty 165 is awesome. If not get the 3800. But you can get a opty to 4800 speeds

well I was afraid of overclocking cpus, I though it was hard to do, but I am taking a look in artibles about overclocking, it seems easy overclocking in bios part
ty man
April 8, 2006 2:01:43 AM

try it and if you have a friend who knows how to do you should have him come over
April 8, 2006 2:05:02 AM

Quote:

well I was afraid of overclocking cpus, I though it was hard to do, but I am taking a look in artibles about overclocking, it seems easy overclocking in bios part
ty man

As you observed, overclocking was made easy as the vast majority of hardware manufacturers noticed that overclocking friendly products sell due to word of mouth, the cheapest yet most effective form of marketing which can reach beyond the hardware enthusiast scene.

Although crudely pumping the bus frequency upward will yeild results, one need to have a relatively good understanding of how those easely accessible BIOS settings affect the underlying hardware in order to reach the very limit of those components while maintaining rock stable operation.

Fortunately, all you need to know can be found on the web, a crude search should provide you with a lot of extremely interesting reading material.

In my case, the most enjoyeable and satisfying part of overclocking is that "larval stage" where you devour and assimilate information before making a purchase, especially when it is your very first attempt. For best results, only ask questions when you get stumped and find yourself unable to understand a particular concept.
!