Mid Range PC Help

adharris

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
So I'm in the market for new desktop. I have built a couple pcs in the past, but not recently, so im rather out of date on what hardware to go with, namely in the gpu market.

I dont game much, but i would hate for there to be a really kickass game to be released 2 weeks after i put the box together that wont run really well. Having super high graphic performance is not very high on my list, but would be nice.

I am thinking of getting a Athlon 64 X2 4400, mostly for the L2 cache and the Dual core for a decent price. To go along with it, i was thinking an ASUS A8N32 Deluxe, for the PCIE slots (heard some major praise for this board)

but when it comes to gpu, im kinda lost. Would it be better to get a single mid ground SLI gpu that would be decent right now, and then grab another one later if i want to get more into gaming? Or would it be better to spend the same cash now for a mid ground single card, noting that upgrading would bust the bank later?

All in all im looking to spend 1500 - 2000 on this box, any advice for any component is apreciated

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
get sli 7600gts, or crossfire x850s. that would push around 1.5k with mid range cards, but with 2k ur already hitting high end, if u can get a gd deal go 7800gts or 7900gts(wich are as good as 7800gtx cards, but cost inbetween the 7800gt and gtx version)

i dont suggest u using crossfire beyond x850s since crossfire is relativly new and they havnt had the time to work out everything

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Forget dual cards. Get a single X1900XT or 7900GTX. They'll kill dual mid-range cards.

Prozacs right.. Also change your board to the Asus A8N-E. Since you are not going to do SLI, there is no reason to get an SLI board. Newegg will sell you this board (which is great- never had trouble with it) for $92.

adharris

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
i really like the 7900GTX, but, i think that might be pushing my price range, and is pretty top of the line. If im nothing more than at best a casual gamer, do i really need all that power?

EDIT: Hmm, thanks for pointing that out shadowduck, changing the mobo to a nonSLI would nock off about 100, which would offset the priceyer vid card. I'll start looking with more interest into the single cards

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
i really like the 7900GTX, but, i think that might be pushing my price range, and is pretty top of the line. If im nothing more than at best a casual gamer, do i really need all that power?

Just the plain GT is about $200 less and still is a great card.

adharris

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
how much is the performance differance gonna be between those two? It looks to me like both will just destroy on current gen games, and assuming the GTX will last longer than the GT, but by how much?

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I would go with a 7900gt and if you dont need to spend cash on monitor and case you could go with two of them or one x1900xt or 7900gtx but if you dont have those things and need it for work and stuff you should spend the cash on other stuff.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
how much is the performance differance gonna be between those two? It looks to me like both will just destroy on current gen games, and assuming the GTX will last longer than the GT, but by how much?

Well the GTX has double the VRAM so I would give it another 6 months at least over the GT at 2 years or so.