Uninstalling VGA drivers?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I don't know where I read it - I thought it was here but a quick search of VGA posts in Forumz didn't turn it up. Anyway, I'm swapping out my eVGA 6800GS for a 7900GTX. I seem to remember reading that it is important to uninstall drivers before setting up the new card. I'll continue searching other forums but if you know the best way to do this, I'd appreciate some tips. TIA!

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I don't know where I read it - I thought it was here but a quick search of VGA posts in Forumz didn't turn it up. Anyway, I'm swapping out my eVGA 6800GS for a 7900GTX. I seem to remember reading that it is important to uninstall drivers before setting up the new card. I'll continue searching other forums but if you know the best way to do this, I'd appreciate some tips. TIA!

When going NVIDIA to NVIDIA there usually isn't any problem. Ensure the newest nvidia driver (here) is installed before switching them and you should be OK. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong...it has worked for me every time though.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

When going NVIDIA to NVIDIA there usually isn't any problem. Ensure the newest nvidia driver (here) is installed before switching them and you should be OK. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong...it has worked for me every time though.

I did that, following the instructions on nvidia.com, then booted. Once I got to the Windows desktop (with what appeared to be normal resolution) I lost video. Put the 6800GS back in, worried that the mobo had developed a problem but the 6800 ran fine. Re-uninstalled the video drivers, installed them again, this time off of the included CD. Put the 7900GTX back in, died after the Windows desktop came up again. Re-booted to safe mode, died again after log-in. Called eVGA tech support and described the problem. They say it probably has a memory problem. RMA'ed with cross-ship. They say I will have a new card by mid-week. If the new one has problems, I'll swap to X1900XT.

Thanks for the advice.