Need help choosing a processor

Silky

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
The system is going to be used for gaming, personal use, and graphic work/photoshop etc. I'm trying to keep it between $1100-$1300.

I was just about ready to put together an Athlon 64 X2 4200 with some sort of sli motherboard, 2 gigs of memory, geforce 7900gt etc. this weekend when a friend of mine told me about a deal they have on a package at Fry's Electronics.

The deal is for an Athlon FX-55, 1 gig of corsair twinx 3200c2 memory, abit kn8-sli motherboard, and a 500w dual somthing or other power supply for either $800 or $900, I can't remember which. So with the video card and a case it would hit right around the high end of my budget.

I had thought that the FX processors were too expensive for my budget, but that seems reasonable. My only question is whether that is a better processor (for my needs, of course) than an Athlon 64 X2 4200. I love the idea of the dual cores and I know I'd make great use of it, but I don't know how it performs with regards to gaming as compared to the FX-55, which as far as I know is still pretty good.

If I've managed to interpret the benchmark tests correctly, it looks like the FX is still a little better for gaming, but is the difference between the two cpus big enough that I should go with the FX, or is it small enough to stick with the X2? Also, are there going to be any games in the near future to make use of dual core chips' multithreading capabilities?

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information on the different processors and frankly I just don't know what to make of all the numbers, so I'm hoping you all might be able to help me. I read the sticky above and did a search in the forum but I'm still not sure what to make of things.

Xabbo

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
If you think you will use the dual core then do it, dont look back. A few frames difference is all that you'll "notice" thats if you play at 800x600. In the real world you wont notice the difference between the two. If you want to hang onto your rig for a while it's the way to go.

Build your own, with everything in it that you want that way your not left with the "what if" or "if only" syndrome. Build looks good. Put it together.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Go with the X2, dual core goodness. it'll serve you better in the long run, besides for the most part games are Memory and GPU limited. Get the X2.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
If you think you will use the dual core then do it, dont look back. A few frames difference is all that you'll "notice" thats if you play at 800x600. In the real world you wont notice the difference between the two. If you want to hang onto your rig for a while it's the way to go.

Build your own, with everything in it that you want that way your not left with the "what if" or "if only" syndrome. Build looks good. Put it together.

QFT !

Welcome to THGC :D

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

QFT !

Welcome to THGC :D Yes welcome to Tom's both of you, enjoy your stay, please remain seated at all ti.... Joke of course, welcome to the forums.