Looking For A Case With A Great PSU!

skeptic

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
In my never ending attempt to try and save some $$$, I'm asking if anyone has a suggestion for a case (ATX) with a PSU that will run great without having to replace it in a few years or less.

What I plan to drop in it is:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA NCQ 3Gb/s ST3160812AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM Model #: ST3160812AS

ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail Model #: A8N5XItem #: N82E16813131569

eVGA 256-P2-N384 Geforce 6800 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX

Thanks, Skeptic

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
In my never ending attempt to try and save some $$$, I'm asking if anyone has a suggestion for a case (ATX) with a PSU that will run great without having to replace it in a few years or less.

I'd recommend deciding what you want in a case and then find one offered without a PS. Then decide the power requirements you need and if you have any other preferences like modular cables or LED fans, etc, then buy that.

skeptic

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
Well I was looking for a combo but this was an idea I came up with once:

Aspire X - plorer ATXB8KlW-BK and a Antec TRUEPOWER TPII-550. I thought it would be enough for what I picked out. Would it be too much power or is it better to have more then not enough?

Thanks, Skeptic

Clarity

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
Well I was looking for a combo but this was an idea I came up with once:

Aspire X - plorer ATXB8KlW-BK and a Antec TRUEPOWER TPII-550. I thought it would be enough for what I picked out. Would it be too much power or is it better to have more then not enough?

Thanks, Skeptic

You can never have too much power (to a certain point of course, but this is within context), so that's good. It's also 88 bucks at newegg, a pretty good deal.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
for the stuf fu stated check the Antec P150, come swith NeoHE 430w, or Antec TX1088AMG with a 480w TruePower 2, the PSU would be MORE, A LOT more than suficent for ur system

P150 is priced at 114, TX at 139, TX is a server type case

Morph

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I'm running a pair of computers with Aspire X-Qpack (micro ATX) cases with 420wat PSU included. Check my sig for details. So far I've had excellent service from these PSUs and the cases cost me about $80 each. Aspire makes a number of standard ATX cases also with built in PSUs. Heck, $80 is less than you will pay for many stand-alone PSUs. Buy one, see how it goes!

skeptic

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
for the stuff u stated check the Antec P150, come swith NeoHE 430w, or Antec TX1088AMG with a 480w TruePower 2, the PSU would be MORE, A LOT more than suficent for ur system

what about this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129158
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155
P150 is cool, wish it was black. :) power supply wise, do these hold up?

I see this one suggested alot, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

skeptic

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
I'm running a pair of computers with Aspire X-Qpack (micro ATX) cases with 420wat PSU included. Check my sig for details. So far I've had excellent service from these PSUs and the cases cost me about $80 each. Aspire makes a number of standard ATX cases also with built in PSUs. Heck, $80 is less than you will pay for many stand-alone PSUs. Buy one, see how it goes!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144161
Will that mobo (ASUS A8N5X) I picked out fit??? :? I thought I needed a mid case for it?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
A couple things; here goes:

1) Don't skimp on the PSU to save cash. If it goes, there goes your whole PC. So don't get a no-name brand like Aspire; stick with Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake, etc.
2) No-name brand cases might have sharp edges that'll cut you and the cables inside your PC. Once again, stick with a name brand case like the Cavalier.
I own it, it has great airflow, great build quality, is plenty big, and looks nice.
3)Built-in PSU's are almost never very good; unless it's an Antec with a TruePower or the like.

Hope I've helped

linux_0

Splendid
A couple things; here goes:

1) Don't skimp on the PSU to save cash. If it goes, there goes your whole PC. So don't get a no-name brand like Aspire; stick with Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake, etc.
2) No-name brand cases might have sharp edges that'll cut you and the cables inside your PC. Once again, stick with a name brand case like the Cavalier.
I own it, it has great airflow, great build quality, is plenty big, and looks nice.
3)Built-in PSU's are almost never very good; unless it's an Antec with a TruePower or the like.

Hope I've helped

Tru64 :-D

I recommend ANTEC, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, OCZ, Seasonic.

Fortron / FSP Group is pretty decent too.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
for the stuff u stated check the Antec P150, come swith NeoHE 430w, or Antec TX1088AMG with a 480w TruePower 2, the PSU would be MORE, A LOT more than suficent for ur system

what about this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129158
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155
P150 is cool, wish it was black. :) power supply wise, do these hold up?

I see this one suggested alot, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

the TX1088AMG comes with a better PSU, sonota is decent, its PSU would do fine, but if u plan SLi, TX1088AMG has the best PSU

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Cases which come with PSUs may seem like a good deal, but often the PSU is shite. Never skimp out on a PSU since it is a key part in keeping your system stable and safe from power surges. Go with a brand like Antec, Hiper, Tagan, Seasonic or whatever...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get the Cooler Master RC-531 (Centurion 531) for around $50 and the Sparkle Power or Fortron Source 350W power supply with 120mm fan for around $30 separately.

And that power supply outputs more clean power than most 450W power supplies. Really. I've tested the 300W version on a high-end, overclocked Prescott system, no problems.

linux_0

Splendid
You can get the Cooler Master RC-531 (Centurion 531) for around $50 and the Sparkle Power or Fortron Source 350W power supply with 120mm fan for around $30 separately.

And that power supply outputs more clean power than most 450W power supplies. Really. I've tested the 300W version on a high-end, overclocked Prescott system, no problems.

I agree, that's why I usually recommend ANTEC, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, OCZ, Seasonic.

And note that Fortron / FSP Group is pretty decent too :-D

Unfortunately, I had an FSP die on me after very light use ( I was using it to power some fans, nothing else ) :-( I'm not sure if it was user error on my part or if it was defective.

I took it apart after it died and did not see any obviously damaged components.

Naturally even the best PSUs die so I am not going to hold that against FSP.

linux_0

Splendid
I heard that a while back (like a year and a half or so ago) FSP had a bad batch...and that it nearly ruined their reputation.

I hope my PSU was part of that bad batch. I also hope they never have a bad batch again.

Although it's understandable, bad batches happen... good QC can prevent that tho.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
QC can't always catch things that break down over time...in time to stop the shipment, or even in time to recall the shipped product.

Remember when good, name brand capacitors started failing after the SARS epidemic...because they got contaminated with disinfectants the workers were using?

linux_0

Splendid
QC can't always catch things that break down over time...in time to stop the shipment, or even in time to recall the shipped product.

Remember when good, name brand capacitors started failing after the SARS epidemic...because they got contaminated with disinfectants the workers were using?

Which is why QC is not supposed to simply perform normal testing they are supposed to perform stress testing and to artificially age the components to determine how long they will actually take to fail.