2 sound cards --is there a way to assign one to a program?

gearbox

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I've just bought and hooked up/installed an M-Audio Fast Track Pro with my P4 2.2 GHz -based system running on Windows XP (with existing SB Value audio card), for recording purposes mostly. Upon installation, Windows set it up as the default for pretty much everything.

Thing is, it seems as if the card is negatively affecting FPS in a video game that was already testing my system to begin with. I assume that this is because of the USB.

Is it possible to assign my original SB Value to the video game only? And if so, how?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
It would be easier to assign the SB Live! as the default card, and then use the M-Audio as a recording card only. What software are you using to record?

gearbox

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Ya, that makes sense & works as well as before with the VG. As for recording, I have Soundforge & Cakewalk --hope to get Cubase as my primary program tho, it seems more intuitive & flexible than Cake :)

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
Yep, make soundblaster default one and select fasttrack in audio software.
Soundforge gives you option to select sound card and Cubase gives you option to even select driver for it.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Cakewalk is built for musicians, but I don't think it's as powerful or nearly as good as Cubase for electronic musicians.

Like people say, you can easily select which card etc... you want to use in Cubase. Enjoy!